PDA

View Full Version : Which of these recent Sci-Fi horror attempts is your favorite and why?

indiephantom
10-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Pitch Black

Jason X

Resident Evil

Ghosts of Mars

These films all have a similar feel and are seeking the same kinds of thrills...which worked best for you?:fire:

DefJeff
10-09-2002, 09:10 PM
i chose Jason X for a few reasons

1. Jason was mean as hell
2. it didnt take itself seriously, and was good for some laughs
3. it knew what the audience wanted, and started up a steady stream of kills from the beginning and never stopped

Resident Evil was close, but Jason X beat it

KillerCannabis
10-10-2002, 11:45 AM
I too had to go with Jason X, although all of those films are great in my opinion. They all were solid, but I'm a lifelong F13th fan and another entry in the series will always win in my book. Jason was a total badass, he dispatched many of his victims in new, clever ways and the whole story was a tongue-firmly-in-cheek flick. I loved it.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
10-10-2002, 08:34 PM
Here is another vote for Jason X.
I thought that all of these were pretty good, but Jason X was a hands down winner for me. A great mix of humor, horror and gore, with some good T & A thrown in for good measure :D A very good movie. I will be buying it soon.

McBride_01
10-16-2002, 04:06 AM
I voted for Ghosts of Mars. I thought it was entertaining. I hated Jason X (and I love all the other F13 films) and Resident Evil with a passion, and haven't seen Pitch Black.

Cujo108
10-16-2002, 04:22 AM
Tough choice as I love all four films, butI had to go with PITCH BLACK. It has very cool looking aliens, wonderful setpieces and that badass lighting when they are outside on the planet. And of course there is the EXTREMELY gorgeous and fuckalicious Radha Mitchell!

rhett
10-16-2002, 05:23 AM
GHOSTS OF MARS was an easy pick for me, I think it is a great movie. In my opinion this has been one of Carpenter's best films from the last 13 years.

I liked all of the other films just fine, but GOM really struck a chord with me.

nlogax
10-16-2002, 08:24 AM
Jason X. Far and away the best. I cant believe how great it was. Perfect combonation of humor,gore, parody. Could have easily been TOO tounge-in-cheek but it managed to strike the right balance. Emencely entertaining! viva la jason!

AceRimRat
10-17-2002, 01:10 AM
I like all four, but I think Pitch Black is the best film overall in terms of style, direction, acting, story and pacing. It's not the best DVD (the DVD has some real image issues), though.

As films, RE, to me, is a close second (great style, not so great pacing), with GOM third (weak villains) and JX fourth (bad acting, so-so direction). But again, I like all four.

As DVDs, JX might have the best total package, with a commentary and two lengthy docs. RE's commentary is hysterical, though, and I imagine the upcoming 2-disc SE will have plenty to offer in the way of features.

Meanie
10-17-2002, 02:08 PM
My vote is for Ghost of Mars, followed by Resident Evil

bigdaddyhorse
10-22-2002, 05:19 AM
Gotta go with Jason X, it was the most fun overall.
I love RE and GOM, I need to see Pitch Black again cuz I didn't like it too much in the theater, but was with a bitchy bitch which may have spoiled it for me.

h8sh8
10-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Pitch Black was an easy choice for me,
though Resident Evil was much better than I expected.

A flashback, within a flashback, within a flashback! What the hell was that? - Ghosts Of Mars is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, especially considering John Carpenter made some very good movies in the late 70's/early 80's - G.O.M. was very funny - unintentionally though I believe.