PDA

View Full Version : Black Christmas: SE Specs

rhett
10-12-2002, 01:56 AM
Hey guys, here is some major news, about the Black Christmas Special Edition, right from Critical Mass:

NEW SPECIAL FEATURES:
• DIGITALLY MASTERED AUDIO AND VIDEO
• AUDIO: ENGLISH DOLBY DIGITAL 2.0, MONO, FRENCH MONO
• “BLACK CHRISTMAS REVISITED” ALL NEW DOCUMENTARY INCLUDING NEW INTERVIEWS
• 2 COMMENTARY TRACKS:
DIRECTOR – BOB CLARK
ACTORS – JOHN SAXON, KEIR DULLEA
• SPECIAL FEATURE GALLERY INCLUDING:
ORIGINAL ENGLISH AND FRENCH TRAILERS
ORIGINAL TV AND RADIO SPOTS
ALTERNATIVE TITLE SEQUENCES
PICTURE AND POSTER GALLERY
• DARK DREAMERS INTERVIEW W/JOHN SAXON
• REVERSIBLE COVER INCLUDES ORIGINAL 1974

The Saxon interview is the complete version of the one originally featured on the original DVD. This DVD is going to be streeting on December 3rd, and should make for the perfect stocking stuffer! I am so glad this is getting the respect it deserves.

Cujo108
10-12-2002, 02:21 AM
HELL YEAH!!! Thanks for the news, rhett! This masterpiece is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time, and it will be a spectacular feeling when I finally get my hands on this! Also glad to see we don't have to wait till 2003 after all! This is bloody fantastic!

betterdan
10-12-2002, 04:26 AM
Is it in fullframe or widescreen? If it's widescreen is it anamorphic? I have the first dvd and it was fullscreen.

rhett
10-12-2002, 08:41 AM
Well, Critical Mass has done the right thing in releasing the DVD in 1.66:1 widescreen. They said that the 1.85:1 version cut off a lot of heads, so 1.66:1 should be perfect. It eliminates all the boom mic's present, and gives the film a more theatrical feel. I am unsure of whether or not the film will be anamorphic though.

But from the specs, this looks like it will be the top horror DVD release of the year.

Hellbilly
10-12-2002, 12:48 PM
This disc is mine, but I do hope it's gonna be 16:9 tho.

dvdasia62
10-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Does 16:9 really make a difference at all with a 1.66:1 ratio?

THE MOVIE KING
10-12-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by rhett
Well, Critical Mass has done the right thing in releasing the DVD in 1.66:1 widescreen. They said that the 1.85:1 version cut off a lot of heads, so 1.66:1 should be perfect. It eliminates all the boom mic's present, and gives the film a more theatrical feel. I am unsure of whether or not the film will be anamorphic though.

But from the specs, this looks like it will be the top horror DVD release of the year.

Look's Good

But 1.66:1 is so damn close to 1.33:1 it looks like fullscreen.

KillerCannabis
10-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Fuck yea. I actually held off on the current release because I had a feeling a new SE would rear its head soon...... and I was right.

ScaryMovieFreak
10-12-2002, 08:50 PM
I had been wanting to get the original release for a long time and I finally found a copy of it at Best Buy over this past summer and I bought it. As soon as I did I heard of this special edition. Now after hearing about these features I'm going to have to get this version as well.

Eddie Quist
10-13-2002, 01:44 AM
YES!! Thanks for the info, Rhett....I am definitely getting this one the day it is available.

McBride_01
10-13-2002, 03:32 AM
I know the aspect ratio on the old laserdisc was 1.85:1.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this coming and will definitely be picking it up.

satan x
10-13-2002, 08:11 PM
This is great news, what a lovely Christmas present for all us horror fans.:D

horrorboy101
10-14-2002, 07:46 PM
WAIT!!!!!!!! I am so excited my favorite slasher is getting the respect it deserves. I seriously watch my other DVD once a month. This one is definitely going to make my Christmas! Thanks Critical Mass now where the hell is HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME Columbia?

WesReviews
10-16-2002, 05:22 AM
But 1.66:1 is so damn close to 1.33:1 it looks like fullscreen.
Black Christmas was NEVER shot in Widescreen. Straight from my contact at Critical Mass, Bob Clark told them that he didn't have the money to shoot it any other way.

With that being said, I can't wait to get a hold of this disc. I contributed a rare advertising poster to the poster/artwork gallery, so be sure and check it out. It's pretty unique. :)

marioscido
10-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Exactly! Like Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket," "Black Christmas" was shot in 1.37:1 and presented theatrically in 1.85:1. However, that doesn't mean that widescreen is the best format for the film on dvd. People tend to automatically think that widescreen is always better. It's only better if that's how it was originally shot and/or intended to be seen. Now, Critical Mass is releasing a disc that is not he aspect ratio of the negative, nor is it the aspect ratio of the theatrical release.

The 1.66:1 ratio for the dvd is solely a marketing device for collectors who think widescreen is always best. The 1.66:1 ratio will correct the minor cropping that occurs in a 1.33:1 full screen transfer, but why not stick to the original negative aspect ratio? I'm afraid I'm delving into the old "Evil Dead" debate again!?

Look at "The Shining" and "Full Metal Jacket" on dvd. Are they presented in widescreen? Do the films suffer from this presentation?

Don't get me wrong, I love widescreen transfers, and I will not buy anything that isn't presented in its proper aspect ratio. But I think it is also important to respect the visual integrety any given film, whether it's a grainy low budget film shot in 16mm or a big budget widescreen release.

rhett
10-16-2002, 05:31 PM
Black Christmas was shot in 1974, when there was none such thing as Beta or VHS, so Bob Clark would have had to have known that 1.85:1 was the only ratio the film would be seen in. Those Kubrick films you mentioned, mario, were done with Kubrick's intent for them to be seen on VHS, so it is somewhat of a different situation here with BC.

marioscido
10-16-2002, 07:39 PM
I agree with you, rhett, but my point is that the 1.66:1 aspect ration presentation for the new SE of "Black Christmas" is not part of the original plan for the film.

It seems to me that you either prepare a full screen presentation from the original 1.37:1 neg or put out a 1.85:1 version and present the film the way it was seen by audiences back in 1974.

Anyway, I realize that this discussion can go on for a while and I'm not so invested in it, but I think it's worth reflecting upon before buying the disc.

Horrorfan
10-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Does critical mass have a website?

Yowie
10-17-2002, 09:30 AM
The end credits strangely enough say "filmed in Panavision", I always thought that meant 2.35:1.

Hellbilly
10-17-2002, 03:45 PM
According to DVDfile.com BLACK CHRISTMAS is gonna be 16:9 enhanced:
remastered 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen

marioscido
10-17-2002, 05:55 PM
This is from the Letterbox and Widescreen Advocacy Page. It's a good place to get information on these issues

http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml

The Panavision company is now the most successful maker and distributor of lenses and filming equipment. In the 1970s their Panavision lenses became the "standard" for widescreen and non-widescreen movies. Panavision still makes or sells the lenses for most of the major studio productions today, including lenses for films made with matting as opposed to true widescreen. These matted films are not necessarily 2.40:1, but are most likely 1.85:1.

Because Panavision now represents the manufacturer and distributor more than the filming process, it is not uncommon to see that many television shows are filmed with Panavision lenses. Therefore, it is important to note that "Filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses" does not automatically constitute a widescreen process.

napalm68
10-17-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by marioscido
I agree with you, rhett, but my point is that the 1.66:1 aspect ration presentation for the new SE of "Black Christmas" is not part of the original plan for the film.

It seems to me that you either prepare a full screen presentation from the original 1.37:1 neg or put out a 1.85:1 version and present the film the way it was seen by audiences back in 1974.

Anyway, I realize that this discussion can go on for a while and I'm not so invested in it, but I think it's worth reflecting upon before buying the disc.

Yeah. I'm sticking with my 4:3 Canadian version. It's full frame, not pan and scan. This is just like the old Evil Dead travesty all over again.

Originally posted by Yowie
The end credits strangely enough say "filmed in Panavision", I always thought that meant 2.35:1.
- No. They make spherical lenses as well. You may notice "Filmed in Panavision" on the end credits of Seinfeld...

Hellbilly
10-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Here's the cover art:
http://www.eclecticdvd.com/images/VSC1373DVD.jpg

hell ya!
10-21-2002, 02:52 AM
Cover is ok but i like the old one better

Yowie
10-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by napalm68
- No. They make spherical lenses as well. You may notice "Filmed in Panavision" on the end credits of Seinfeld...
If I'm not mistaken, it says filmed with on "Seinfeld"; not in. I remember we were talking about this some time ago and not really agreeing on it, but while it's true Panavision also make spherical lenses beside anamophic, the figure of speach stands for 2.35:1. I'm quite sure it's not just a company credit, it's an indication. Listen to Carpenter's commentary on "The Fog" for instance, when referring to the scope of the ratio he shoots in he just says Panavision. -Figure of speach. (By no means am I protesting "Black Christmas" is Scope I might add, I really don't know its original ratio, I'll take it whatever it is.) :)

Horrorfan
10-21-2002, 03:04 PM
Hellbilly were did you find the cover art?

Hellbilly
10-21-2002, 04:32 PM
Horrorfan: Here at eclecticdvd.com (http://www.eclecticdvd.com/future.asp)

rhett
10-21-2002, 05:39 PM
The face on the cover art looks great, but the rest of the cover is too busy...they whould have kept it simpler.

Hellbilly
10-21-2002, 05:41 PM
Agreed.
btw your pm folders are full again, dammit! ;)

McBride_01
10-21-2002, 10:02 PM
The new cover is pretty cool, but I agree, I like the old one better (VHS release, not DVD).

Horrorfan
10-21-2002, 10:14 PM
well remember its suppose to have a reversable cover

Hellbilly
10-21-2002, 10:20 PM
Yep, true that. Forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding Horrorfan :)

rhett
10-21-2002, 10:57 PM
I thought the original DVD cover was fantastic, definitely one of my favorite non-theatrical cover art.

dvdfan
10-21-2002, 11:39 PM
HMV.com shows the old VHS cover as the NEW DVD cover.

McBride_01
10-22-2002, 08:38 AM
So the original cover art is on the reverse side of this new disc?

rhett
10-22-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by McBride_01
So the original cover art is on the reverse side of this new disc? Sure is!

Horrorfan
10-27-2002, 04:50 PM
To be honest im not really crazy about any of the cover arts. Im just glad Black Christmas is getting the special edition it deserves.

rhett
11-01-2002, 06:33 AM
All you lucky ghouls who live in Canada (like myself) should check ScreamTV for an early Christmas present. ScreamTV is already showing the new BC documentary that will be on the upcoming DVD. Overall, it is quite good!

Olivia Hussey sadly didn't participate, and neither did Andrea Martin or Margot Kidder, but most of the others are there, and they all seem to be very happy. Chris and Clare from the movie take the viewer on a tour of the sorority house today (looks much different), and they even engage in an anniversary lip locking. There is also a segment where Clare shows the viewer how they managed to do the scene with her behind the bag.

The tour of the house is intercut with interviews with Saxon, Bob Clark, Keir Dullea, the producer, composer, cinematographer, set designer, etc. There is a large debate as to who did the voices and whose eye was used in the infamous take. Clark also talks about what he went out to achieve with the movie, and there is also talk about how original the film was in its time. Dullea spends most of the time talking about how much he loves Hussey, and how can you blame him? :D

It is a really fine documentary, and Critical Mass has definitely put a lot of work into it. If the rest of this disc is anything like the documentary, then we will be in for quite a treat this christmas!

hell ya!
11-01-2002, 09:22 PM
I should get Scream TV they sound good.

rhett
11-02-2002, 11:10 AM
It is a great channel...non-stop horror, widescreen and uncut. They also air TV shows like Twin Peaks and the Friday the 13th Series. Definitely the best $5.00 a month I ever spent! :)

hell ya!
11-02-2002, 04:43 PM
Cool

I only reason i was holding out was becuase i thought they showed the movies P & S but if its Widescreen then maybe i will get it. Early Christmas present maybe ;) thanks for the info.:)