PDA

View Full Version : the most violent slasher

tenebre
10-14-2002, 03:04 PM
what is teh goriest (yet realistic looking) slasher wit the most kills etc.???

i mean good kills too like old f13(uncut) burning, mutilator etc.

i looking for some i havent seen.

slinker
10-14-2002, 04:09 PM
I watched `Night of the Intruder` recently and was quite impressed with the gory killings and it certainly does have that early 80`s feel about it. One to check!:)

harbor
10-15-2002, 01:06 AM
I definately have to say The Prowler which is a great flick with fabulous Savini gore, and Maniac. However, Maniac is fairly disturbing, but gory.

THE MOVIE KING
10-15-2002, 01:57 AM
DEAD ALIVE

Using the LawnMower to slice and dice:eek1:
Probably not the type of slasher you are looking for:lol:

betterdan
10-15-2002, 02:08 AM
I agree with Maniac being very disturbing and the gore is top notch.

Joel Groce
10-15-2002, 08:34 AM
The "New York Ripper" - I haven't seen this, but I've seen a bunch of stills from this pic and it looks like it trumps "Maniac" with it's sheer nastiness (though "Maniac" is prob. a much better film) Actually I really want this more because of the style ("Taxi Driver" seediness with the feel of an giallo and beautiful scene composition of an Argento film) I was initially put off by the overriding misogyny that I felt was depicted looking at the movie stills, but I've a weakness for this stuff - I'm scared to admit...

tenebre
10-15-2002, 03:11 PM
dead alive isnt realistic gore at all :-)
i love tehmovie but its camp not a real slasher.

next on my DVD purxhase lists:
prowler
night of the intruder
Maniac
The burning.

thanks!

KillerCannabis
10-15-2002, 09:12 PM
My list:

Maniac
Cannibal Ferox
Versus
Henry: POASK

rhett
10-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Maniac tops my list...the gore is even more disturbing because of the depressing story.

AceRimRat
10-15-2002, 11:57 PM
Maniac, the Prowler and NYR are among the nastiest I've seen. So I'd second those recommendations, particularly if you like your kills with a more vicious feel (rather than cheesy, say).

McBride_01
10-16-2002, 04:49 AM
If you haven't seen Maniac definitely check it out. It isn't really a slasher film in the traditional sense because it focuses more on the killer than the group being stalked.

Prowler has great gore, but may be a bit slow it places. Still definitely worht checking out.

The Burning is great as well. They show the uncut version of this on Showtime and The Movie Channel sometimes.

Happy Birthday to Me is another one that is worth checking out. Cool deaths and a twist ending.

McBride_01
10-16-2002, 04:58 AM
I forgot to add The Initiation and Dorm That Dripped Blood...

Those two are worth checking out as well for slasher fanatics.

A guilty pleasure of mine is Slaughter High. It's completely cheesy, but I love it! :)

Cydeous
10-16-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by McBride_01
I forgot to add The Initiation and Dorm That Dripped Blood...

Is <B>The Dorm That Dripped Blood</B> the same film as <B>Pranks</B>? I remember seeing this in the theatre and liking it but then I rented it and it sucked. The only good gore was when the guy's hand was split by the machete. Is the version that you saw uncut?

tenebre
10-16-2002, 03:45 PM
are all these availible on DVD?

i love happy brithday to me.. buti cant find it on dvd

bloodthirsty
10-16-2002, 04:23 PM
don't know if they are considered "slasher" movies, but the Japanese series "All Night Long" are pretty violent.

McBride_01
10-16-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Cydeous
Is <B>The Dorm That Dripped Blood</B> the same film as <B>Pranks</B>? I remember seeing this in the theatre and liking it but then I rented it and it sucked. The only good gore was when the guy's hand was split by the machete. Is the version that you saw uncut?

That is the same film as Pranks, yes. The copy I saw was a Media (I think) VHS, so it was probably cut. I don't remember the gore in it as much as the ending. And Daphne Zuniga in a very early role, maybe even her 1st, though I'm not sure. I remember thinking it had some good suspenseful bits as well... I really need to find the tape and watch it again sometime.

McBride_01
10-16-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by tenebre
are all these availible on DVD?

i love happy brithday to me.. buti cant find it on dvd

Maniac and Initiation are out from Anchor Bay

The Dorm That Dripped Blood, I saw a trailer for on a Something Weird Video disc, so I guess they have either released it or will do in the future.

Happy Birthday to Me isn't out on disc yet unfortunately.

Slaughter High, I'm not sure really.

The Burning is available uncut somewhere, but I think maybe it's region 2. The uncut version that is shown on Showtime and The Movie Channel has the MGM logo on before it though, so maybe a Region 1 DVD release will be available sometime soon.

STREET TRASH
10-16-2002, 06:27 PM
One that hasn't been mentioned yet, "Nightmare." It was made at the peak of the early 80s slasher craze (1981 I believe) and is JUST as morbid, sick, depressing and gory as "Maniac," if not MORESO! In one scene, the killer slashes open a woman's neck in loving detail, stabs her several times and THEN goes on to take a bite out of her stomach! It's got a crazed lunatic who constantly screams, has seizures, sweats profusely and wears the creepiest looking mask this side of "Halloween." There are also seedy NY locations, XXX theaters, GRAPHIC murders (decapitation, ax-in-forehead, spiked hammer in back, etc.) and one hell of a twisted ending.

STREET TRASH
10-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Also, "New York Ripper" may be misogynistic but honestly this is a Fulci film, with horrible dubbing (that RIGHT OFF THE BAT makes this a comedy), stupid dialogue (after a woman side-swipes a man's car with her bicycle she replies "Sorry, I was thinking of Boston." WHAT!?) , a killer who quacks like a duck and some really chunky Ragu-style gore (looks silly). It's sleazy sure, and it may be another film that really takes advantage of the seedier side of New York, but it's not in the same league as "Maniac," "Nightmare" and the like. "New York Ripper" is like a sleazy softcore sex comedy, with a few cheesy kills thrown in and buckets of spaghetti sauce.

Joel Groce
10-17-2002, 04:06 AM
I haven't actually seen this, but the reviews I've read have been positive - and the pics I saw were pretty gruesome, but can't really say until I've seen the flick. I will have to check out this "Nightmare" movie, sounds interesting...

betterdan
10-17-2002, 05:03 AM
yea the quacking killer kinda ruined it but you gotta admit NYR was brutal as hell with that eye slicing.

Hellbilly
10-17-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by STREET TRASH
One that hasn't been mentioned yet, "Nightmare." It was made at the peak of the early 80s slasher craze (1981 I believe) and is JUST as morbid, sick, depressing and gory as "Maniac," if not MORESO! In one scene, the killer slashes open a woman's neck in loving detail, stabs her several times and THEN goes on to take a bite out of her stomach! It's got a crazed lunatic who constantly screams, has seizures, sweats profusely and wears the creepiest looking mask this side of "Halloween." There are also seedy NY locations, XXX theaters, GRAPHIC murders (decapitation, ax-in-forehead, spiked hammer in back, etc.) and one hell of a twisted ending.
Agreed. That's one hell of a sick movie. I have NIGHTMARE on tape but it's worn out. Isn't this film suppose to come out on DVD?

McBride_01
10-17-2002, 05:35 AM
I loved NEW YORK RIPPER!!! It's my second favorite Fulci flick, right after DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING. It's more of a giallo/slasher really, beautifully shot and quite disturbing. The duck thing never really bothered me, just lent to the offbeat nature of the flick.

I also really like NIGHTMARE (aka Blood Splash; Nightmare in a Damaged Brain). I don't think it stands up to MANIAC really, but definitely worth checking out.

If you like Italian flicks, try out Michele Soavi's STAGE FRIGHT (aka Aquarius). A fairly underrated slasher flick, if I may say so. :)

SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT is another excellent one that doesn't get much credit.

Another one that isn't really realistic, but I enjoyed it was a 1987 flick, EPITAPH. It has some really cheesy acting, but I found it rather enjoyable. I love the rat-in-a-bucket/flame-torch death. :D

Anyone seen BLOODRAGE... NEVER PICK UP A STRANGER??? If I remember correctly, it was produced by Joseph Zito, director of THE PROWLER and FRIDAY THE 13th: THE FINAL CHAPTER. It wasn't too bad, though I need to watch it again to refresh my memory.

tenebre
10-17-2002, 05:04 PM
silent night deadly night 2 is on dvd next year.

its awesome.. it recaps every kill from part 1 then adds anbother dozen.. i adore this movie

STREET TRASH
10-18-2002, 12:51 AM
Joel: "New York Ripper" isn't a film totally without merit. It has it's moments and some of the dialogue spoken throughout the film is funnier than most comedies.

Hellbilly: Yes, "Nightmare" is coming out on DVD from Program Power Entertainment, but they've been delaying it for nearly 2 years now, so who KNOWS when it'll come out.

McBride: In terms of sheer brutality and disgust, "Nightmare" is on par with "Maniac" (in my opinion.) The better film; however, by far, is "Maniac."

willywalken
10-25-2002, 08:08 PM
i think sleepaway camp is probably the best in my mind. what could ever beat a he/she teenager hell bent on slaughtering whoever gave her/him a hard time? it's a classic!

zombi3
10-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by STREET TRASH
In one scene, the killer slashes open a woman's neck in loving detail, stabs her several times and THEN goes on to take a bite out of her stomach!

I don't remember any stomach biting. Was this scene in the old "uncut" US VHS release? Anyway, great film. I can't wait for the dvd.

STREET TRASH
10-26-2002, 05:29 AM
It was the old US Continental tape. Thinking back [been yrs. since I've seen it] maybe he didn't bite her stomach, but I know he cannibalized her in some way. I'm thinking he actually took a chunk of her stomach with his hands and then ate it.

willywalken
10-26-2002, 07:08 AM
:fire: does anyone really ever notice how in depth "the thing" is. the demographic of that film could be related to a mystery, friendship, or even a "twelve angry men" type of setting. god that movie is great!

Tuzotonic
06-22-2004, 02:25 AM
Maniac, the Prowler and NYR are among the nastiest I've seen. So I'd second those recommendations, particularly if you like your kills with a more vicious feel (rather than cheesy, say).

The Prowler is gory in a good way that surprised me. NYR is not. It was one of the nastiest movies I have ever seen, but then again I did see it when I was 10 so maybe I would think differently now. I have not seen Maniac yet but I want to and probably will rent it soon. I've heard it's pretty nasty in parts. The pictures on the back of the box were crazy.

adric
06-22-2004, 03:34 AM
i just read that mgm is releasing the burning on dvd soon. i ordered the prowler on dvd uncut from borders 2 months ago and it hasnt come in yet....and i never rented happy birthday to me and i could have bought it from blockbuster but passed. i think maniac is really gory and this japenese movie called Cure was pretty gory but it was more of a drama, silence of the lambs kind of movie.