PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead Trap II

dwatts
10-20-2002, 04:30 PM
It’s a reasonably strange film. Reminded me of Audition in many ways. Especially how the majority of the film goes by at a slow pace, only to explode at the end.

The film has some great camera work, and some interesting shots. Music is used sparingly, and often as counterpoint to the action.

The plot revolves around an overweight projectionist and her visions. Haunted by a young boy, and appearing at murder scenes where female victims have their bodies mutilated. You’re never quite sure what is going on, since most of the time she is perfectly normal. Her life is anything but strange (this is explained at the end of the film by a dying medium).

It is also about the descent into madness. Here we have perfectly normal people, with good jobs and apparently normal dispositions, break down and collapse. The film leaves you wondering who some of these people are, as adults turn into children, and children haunt the adults, leading them to doubt their sanity. Asian cinema seems to like to take time to construct a vision of normality, and to then deconstruct it at the end in horrific ways. Audition is like that too – here we have a lot more “action” at the conclusion, though.

For the gorehounds there is plenty to see. People laying in the road with their entrails hanging out, a bit of cannibalism, close ups of arms snapping and bones sticking out, a woman giving birth to a full grown man, and a fight between two people – one armed with a knife and the other with a pair of scissors. And that isn’t all!

I found this film to be both compelling and exciting. One to watch more than once, without a doubt. The copy I have is put out by “Japan Shock Video” from the Netherlands. I paid 13 Euro. (www.japan-shock.demon.nl). It runs 93 minutes PAL, and it claims to be “Strong Uncut”. Given what they left in, it’s hard to imagine what they would have taken out. I felt the transfer was very well done, better, for instance, than the UK Audition. The only extra is the trailer. The trailer sucks and ruins some key segments in the film – so beware.

Obviously there is a connection between this film and the last one, but as I have not seen the first, I cannot comment on that angle. I feel this film stands on its own very well. As Asian horror cinema goes, the best I can say is, they’ve done it again. No-one is doing films like this anymore, at least not with this quality. Why the heck doesn’t Argento move to Japan and make films? He’d love it!

Mr.Vengance
10-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Nice review. Thanks for the info. I'll probably be picking this one up now.

I've seen the first one and I have to say that it doesn't sound like there's much of a connection between the two.

McBride_01
10-21-2002, 10:05 PM
I didn't enjoy this one too much on the first viewing, but maybe I should dig out my dub and try it again... your review certainly makes it seem better than I remembered. :)

dwatts
10-21-2002, 11:17 PM
--should dig out my dub--

What does that mean? Do you have the Japan Shock version? Could yours have been cut?

KillerCannabis
10-22-2002, 12:26 PM
I hope this one gets a R1 release like the original did, otherwise I wont see it for a while since I still dont have a multi-region player yet.

Bods
10-23-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by KillerCannabis
I hope this one gets a R1 release like the original did, otherwise I wont see it for a while since I still dont have a multi-region player yet.

The Dutch DVD of EDT2 is NTSC/All region, so you won't have any trouble playing it should you not want to wait for Unearthed Films R1 release.