PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Massacre (1982)

Hellbilly
10-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Anybody remember this slasher?
It has a neat prologue ("Susan's House 1961"), a bit of sleaze (Barbi Benton's nude checkup) and a few well done bloody effects.
A DVD release would be cool. I think MGM still holds the rights to this film, not sure tho.

Hellbilly
10-21-2002, 04:50 PM
Nobody?
Sad times :cry:

razorbackattack
10-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Yep, another slasher on my want list for a DVD release.

Also looking forward to a DVD release of VISITING HOURS!

McBride_01
10-21-2002, 09:59 PM
Sorry Hellbilly, not had a chance to see this one! :(

KillerCannabis
10-23-2002, 07:07 PM
Is it still available on VHS? I'm always down to see a good slasher flick.

Joel Groce
10-24-2002, 05:57 AM
Sounds like some good sleaze - I will stay alert for this one and count me in for "Visiting Hours" - I have the VHS and would love a decent transfer on this one. Michael Ironside gives a classic performance - very Maniac-like...

willywalken
10-29-2002, 07:50 PM
:fire: Speaking of hospital massacre, "Halloween II" is a damn fine slasher. Like the scene in the hot tub where Myers holds that woman under water till her skin boils off. Nobodys ever done that before, not that i know of.

Joel Groce
10-30-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by willywalken
:fire: Speaking of hospital massacre, "Halloween II" is a damn fine slasher. Like the scene in the hot tub where Myers holds that woman under water till her skin boils off. Nobodys ever done that before, not that i know of.

Check out "Deep Red" for a similar "hot tub" scene...not to take anything away from Halloween II - I love that movie from the bottom of my black heart.

Eddie Quist
11-21-2002, 08:46 AM
I remember the video box for HOSPITAL MASSACRE at the old video store I used to frequent as a youngster.....That's about my only memory of it, to be honest.:)

Michael
12-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Several times in the recent past I have come across references to HOSPITAL MASSACRE.

Anyone know if this was ever, is now or scheduled to be released on DVD?

Sounds like it could be fun.

Made in 1981 starring the lovely Barbi Benton.

poorlogic
12-31-2003, 05:16 AM
Pretty boring stuff, goto any video store (besides Blockbuster) and your sure to find a copy on VHS.

Joel Groce
01-01-2004, 10:13 PM
While this is not great, it is loads of fun - and throw in Barbi Benton and you've got a classic! Check this out - guaranteed fun - I laughed my ass off and then some! Cheers! :cool:

K'
01-02-2004, 12:42 PM
I own the german Laserdisc and I think it's quite fun. I wouldn't mind to get it on dvd, but I haven't heard anything about a release.

http://filmoffice.free.fr/Jpegs/grosse_fotosLD/x_ray_front.jpg
http://filmoffice.free.fr/Jpegs/grosse_fotosLD/x_ray_back.jpg

Joel Groce
01-02-2004, 07:48 PM
That laserdisc looks too cool! Hopefully we will see a DVD soon - come on Blue Underground!

onebyone
01-03-2004, 07:20 AM
I have been crossing the globe with the vhs for years. It is one of my favorite slashers and one of the first horror movies I fell for, I would so love a dvd. It isn't high art mind you, but if it was, I probably wouldn't like it 1/2 as much. I have dreams of getting that and New Year's Evil at the same time. Hook me up someone.

thegreeninferno
01-03-2004, 10:36 AM
It does have some interesting gore, if I remember correctly.

speanroc
01-03-2004, 12:03 PM
i have the U.K. precert of this under the title X-RAY

i love the other alt title " BE MY VALENTINE OR ELSE...."

rhett
04-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Good straight faced, no frills slasher. Boaz Davidson brings that same sort of lost in translation awkwardness that he did to The Last American Virgin here, particularly in that ambiguous full body physical where Barbi Benton appears to be flirting with the psycho doctor while he is poking her with needles and trying to strangle her. It's a really weird scene. Benton's a peculiar stage presence, those big doe eyes and that off-key low octave voice really set her apart. The killer is a pretty humorous departure from the usual slasher mold in that he's the perpetrator of the traumatic childhood event and without any motive. He's just a douchebag little kid who likes to make Valentines cards. Awesome.

YottNik
04-13-2009, 11:41 PM
I've been wanting to see this for years. Oddly enough, I have a CED of this but I don't have a CED player. Annoying.

Mutilated Prey
04-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Yup, I have this - pretty good. Deserves a real DVD release.

HAEMORRHAGE
04-14-2009, 12:06 AM
My buddy has the original VHS of this. I remember seeing bits n' pieces of it and it being a bit boring but I never really got a feel for it cause I never got to sit down and watch it properly.

Horrorphilly
04-14-2009, 12:25 AM
This is funny because I just watched this movie last night and liked it but thought I would love it.The version I saw was the MGM/UA version and it is uncut but think this could have passed uncut without having to make X-ray(edited version) Not a bad movie at all.

sean

snowbeast323
04-14-2009, 01:24 AM
I so wanna see this film cuz I cant seem to get hold of Visiting Hours......so this one should do as a nice substitute

Mutilated Prey
04-14-2009, 01:37 AM
This is much better than Visiting Hours imo.

rhett
04-14-2009, 01:39 AM
This is much better than Visiting Hours imo.

Not to slight the great Michael Ironside, but I'd agree with you on this one as well. Less muddled, more classical.

Shlockjock81
04-14-2009, 03:26 AM
I was so looking forward to seeing this... and when I did I was completely let down.

Naturally, I wasn't expecting high art. I had already been forewarned by the awful reviews this film had on many websites and IMDB, but usually that just draws me to a flick even more!

The acting was pretty lame as expected. But it was the logic of this film. This film had more "oh cmon... WTF!!" moments than any italian film I've ever seen (and I love me some spaghetti splatter). The hamburger munching patient in the elevator... the sudden decision to operate on Barbi's brain, the killer wrapping up a screaming nurse in a sheet (how the HELL did NO ONE else on the floor or in the building hear her screaming?).

It has its charms (the score is alright), and if it was ever released on DVD I'd probably grab it as I am a completeist, but ugh. I have a 6 year old niece that could write something more coherent and plausable. And no, I don't only watch believable horror films... but there at least has to be SOME element of believability for me to really get something out of a horror film. I felt myself rolling my eyes at this one.

I look at it like this: "Don't Go In The Woods" wasn't even TRYING to be a good film. It reveled in its garbage much like a Troma flick does. But this film? It really did look like someone was trying to create an effective thriller and failed HORRIBLY on all accounts.

rhett
04-14-2009, 03:34 AM
I look at it like this: "Don't Go In The Woods" wasn't even TRYING to be a good film. It reveled in its garbage much like a Troma flick does. But this film? It really did look like someone was trying to create an effective thriller and failed HORRIBLY on all accounts.

Dude, have you seen James Bryan? There is no way that man approaches anything without complete and total sincerity. That's the charm of DON'T GO IN THE WOODS...it actually thinks it is making sense. And it thinks the theme song is scary.

Shlockjock81
04-14-2009, 04:24 AM
Really? I've seen all the interviews on the Code Red DVD and I always thought it was an act he put on... kinda like Doris Wishman and her films.... Hershchell Gordon Lewis and his flicks... etc.

Wow... now I've truly heard/seen everything...

Ok let's find another comparison:

Terror Firmer or The Toxic Avenger weren't trying to be good films etc etc etc

Kim Bruun
02-27-2010, 12:28 AM
I just watched this, and I have to admit, I really liked it. Out of all the really cheap, obscure vintage slashers, this is my favourite so far.

Yes, there are certain things that don't make sense, but it still manages some rather creepy scenes. The setting works, and while it is definitely a less intelligent film than Visiting Hours (which incorporates a bit of social commentary), it has a more effective build-up in terms of horror.

My favourite scene would be the one where the frightened heroine bursts into a room full of patients in traction, who are obviously startled by her sudden appearance and screaming. For some reason, it strikes me as really grotesque.

I'd jump to buy a DVD of this. :)

Mutilated Prey
02-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Doesn't MGM own the rights to this? Whomever ends up buying them we should get on them right away to get this out of DVD :)

maybrick
02-27-2010, 01:09 AM
My favourite scene would be the one where the frightened heroine bursts into a room full of patients in traction, who are obviously startled by her sudden appearance and screaming. For some reason, it strikes me as really grotesque.

Really? I love that scene too but I don't find it grotesque, just laugh out loud funny. It's definitely a very surreal moment and it's one of the times in the film where I think the director lets us know that the movie isn't intended to be taken totally seriously. That scene is pure camp. :)

promnight13
02-27-2010, 04:36 AM
I would so buy this ridiculous and over-the-top slasher movie. I love that Barbi Benton can't just find the exit sign in the hospital to escape LOL.

Kim Bruun
02-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Really? I love that scene too but I don't find it grotesque, just laugh out loud funny. It's definitely a very surreal moment and it's one of the times in the film where I think the director lets us know that the movie isn't intended to be taken totally seriously. That scene is pure camp. :)

I can definitely see that there is a comedic aspect to it, but they look like they're in agony, writhing as if they were strapped onto medieval torture machines. And the fact that they are covered from head to toe makes me think: "Ew, what happed to those guys?"

chancetx
09-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Okay, I have to resurrect this thread after finally watching this. Talk about a WTF movie! I kept waiting for the "it was all a dream" or "she's really a mental patient" ending but apparently all the events were supposed to be real. I have to agree with SchlockJock81 that there was absolutely zero logic in the script. There's no way to even summarize all the massive plot holes or nonsensical behavior of all the characters. But I need to know (not really a spoiler but just in case): What was going on with the three old women (or two old women and one drag queen?) in the room with Barbi Benton? I assumed the cross-dresser would turn out to be the killer but no, apparently they just couldn't find a third female actress to play the part. (I haven't watched the director interview on the disc so maybe he discussed this?)

All that said, I didn't hate it. It was a mess but the score was good, there were some good gory kills and there were so many bizarre touches it will definitely stick with me for the rest of my days. This one is screaming for a MST3K or Elvira running commentary.