View Full Version : Night Of The Living Dead 1968

Loced Out Demon
10-21-2002, 07:23 AM
theres alot of versions on dvd, which would yall recommend and why. thanks

Paff
10-21-2002, 08:19 AM
Either of Elite's versions, especially the Millenium edition are the best:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/notld-me/

If you have Laserdisc capability, you might want to seek out the Elite 2-disc version, as not all of the extras made it onto the DVD.

KillerCannabis
10-22-2002, 12:42 PM
You cant go wrong getting either of Elite's versions. I got the original Elite version and I'm very pleased with it. I'd still like to get the new ME, but the first edition is more than good enough for me.

DeadKev
11-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Just please stay away from the 30th Anniversary Edition...Total blasphemy!

I'd go with the new Milennium Ed.

Damed
11-06-2002, 06:04 PM
Why is the 30th Anniversary Edition blasphemy?

I am new to these forums, and am looking to pick up NOTLD on DVD as well...

Thanks

dwatts
11-06-2002, 06:38 PM
Oh - I have that one --LOL-- It's a double disc for double the pain.

First you get the movie with a new half-assed synth soundtrack, woo-hoo!

Then you get the movie again - with 15 minutes of NEW footage. note, not added footage - NEW footage. They actually dug up the original zombie, and used him again.

But wait! In order to add 15 minutes, they had to cut out 15 original minutes. So 15 minutes of the original is missing in this one.

Great move! And hey - they even give you that nice synth track on CD :)

Not for everyone. But if people clammer after TV footage of Halloween - why the hell not this?

DeadKev
11-06-2002, 08:07 PM
I bought this DVD when it came out, and have since sold it. Originally, I was open to the idea, but it just wasn't done well in my opinion. And to cut out 15 minutes of the original stuff was totally wrong.

If you're going to add some footage, add it, but don't TAKE OUT footage.

The other disc with the movie would have been ok, but they replaced the soundtrack. So just go out and get the Milennium Edition and get the WHOLE original movie as it was intended.

Damed
11-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Ahh.... very informative, thanks.

Now.. if I could only find a copy of the Millennium Edition here in Canada...

Big Bobby D
07-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Oh yeah-there are a lot of different versions out there, but, I own the Elite Millenium Edition and am very happy with it, except I miss the dvd art from the previous Elite disc which I sold to buy the M.E. version. I'd get it if I were you trying to get a great print of the film, but some people may like the newer Fox edition, which contains both the original black and white version as well as the colorized version (and a couple new supplements including a MST commentary track :rolleyes: ) Since the M.E is now kinda old, I believe you can get it for about $15 now. The NOTLD 30 Anniversary Edition has a nice print too, but a lot of people don't like the extra footage. I thought it was a cool idea that most of the surviving original cast and crew shot new footage including a new beginning showing the story of Bill Hinzman's cemetary zombie and a new ending, but, in the end, I think the footage should have just been thrown in the extras section as a bonus. But, if you can find it, I suggest you see it because it has a nice commentary track with some of the surviving cast and crew that is not on the Elite discs and there's a couple of nice extras with the afformentioned cast and crew. I hope this helps! :banana:

ekent
07-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Millenium Edition

Mok
07-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Not for everyone. But if people clammer after TV footage of Halloween - why the hell not this?

Thaaaaaat's a bit of a stretch man :lol:

X-human
07-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Thaaaaaat's a bit of a stretch man :lol:

Yeah, the Halloween TV footage was still shot by John Carpenter, using the Halloween 2 film crew and was only a couple of years after the original. The 30th Anniversary footage was shot by John A. Russo, by hacks even cheaper than the orginal NotLD production and done nearly thirty years later.

To 'some' fans, and I use that term lightly, there may be a slight interest in this footage, but I can't see anyone passing the Millenium Edition up for ANY reason and to get the Anniversary set in edition would simply be a waste of money for what they get in return.

Next you'll be saying that Children of the Living Dead is a must purchase in order to complete the series.

dwatts
07-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Wow, gotta love a board where what you wrote almost three years ago can be quoted :D

It might be a bit of a stretch, but what's wrong with that? The TV footage in Halloween is utterly horrible, utterly unecessary, and horrid. Sounds similar to me :D

Mok
07-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Wow, gotta love a board where what you wrote almost three years ago can be quoted :D

It might be a bit of a stretch, but what's wrong with that? The TV footage in Halloween is utterly horrible, utterly unecessary, and horrid. Sounds similar to me :D

I'm waiting three years before I answer that :D