PDA

View Full Version : Ring DVDs

tenebre
10-21-2002, 02:33 PM
ok saw teh us version whcih i liekd so finally i need to get the japanese ones.

which are the versions to get for ring, 2 and 0 and which to avoid?

on DVD of course

Paff
10-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Maybe off topic, but is it certain that the Region 0 discs people have been buying are really bootlegs?

I'm beginning to think that they fall under the Berne Act, which basically states that if a film has not been released on video in the United States, then it is free to copy and sell (within the US), at least until the film's rights are bought by a US distributor.
(This does not mean that OOP discs are legal to sell, nor are Star Wars DVDs as those movies HAVE been released on video in the US). But if there's no official US release of Ringu on VHS or DVD, I think it's legal to dupe any copy and sell it.

Any lawyers on here?

mcchrist
10-21-2002, 08:13 PM
I think Dreamworks own the japanese Ringu, the reason being to shelve the movie so it can't compete with the remake. That seems to be the general consensus on the newsgroups, but I haven't heard anything definitive. If that is the case, then they are illegal, but as I said I don't know for sure.

tenebre
10-21-2002, 09:17 PM
i foudn a reliable importer with all 3 for 40 bucks!!!

cant wait to see them.. and i have ichi the killer on the way!

rxfiend
10-22-2002, 03:46 AM
Ichi the killer is awesome!! make sure it's the uncut version though.

KillerCannabis
10-22-2002, 12:28 PM
I have Ring and Ring 2 on DVD from Tartan, or at least so it says. Both are R0, 16:9 with subtitles. I still need to get Ring 0 to complete the trilogy of the original films.

tenebre
10-22-2002, 02:29 PM
the ichi i got is a 2 DVD set uncut with making of and 5.1 widescreen.....

ScarredGod
03-02-2003, 01:02 PM
i need to bump this up...

im not too interested in the dreamworks dvd of ringu coming out this week, 25 bucks and apparantly no extras. i was wondering what are the better dvd releases of this film out there in other regions? is there anything special out there?

rxfiend
03-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Paff
Maybe off topic, but is it certain that the Region 0 discs people have been buying are really bootlegs?

they are bootlegs alright! i have them all (including The Spiral). i'm thinking they're just dvd rips of the Tartan discs (though they don't include any of the extras).

Latency
03-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Dreamworks does own the rights to Ringu. And the bootlegs are illegal I think.

MaxRenn
03-07-2003, 12:45 AM
How's the quality on the Ringu disc? Can't believe the price.

Senor Igor
03-07-2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by ScarredGod
i need to bump this up...

im not too interested in the dreamworks dvd of ringu coming out this week, 25 bucks and apparantly no extras. i was wondering what are the better dvd releases of this film out there in other regions? is there anything special out there?

Apparently, no: there are NO extras. Zip, nada, niente.
I guess they´re pumpimp up the price cause
1) The japanese version is MUCH more expensive and has no English subtitles, or
2) Only a handful of players and TV sets can support PAL, thus preventing americans to buy the Tartan edition.

There´s a third, cheaper option, but I don´t want to talk about it cuz I don´t know how´s the politics of the board regarding online stores.