PDA

View Full Version : From Beyond??? 14.99 on eBay!

mutleyhyde
12-23-2000, 02:05 AM
Anybody know about the Chinese From Beyond disc up for auction on eBay? Looks like it's from Ocean Shores, is all region NTSC and is 5.1 audio (or so it says). I can't find out whether the Chinese subtitles can be turned off or not. Or, does anybody know if it's scheduled for an American release anytime soon? I'm so close to bidding on it. There's a Dutch auction up for 50 copies, currently at 14.99, with only 13 takers so far, and it's in NY so you don't have to mess with HK.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 12-22-2000).]

mutleyhyde
12-23-2000, 02:10 AM
BTW, go here if interested... http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=528797601
Yes, you're welcome!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

M. Hyde

mutleyhyde
12-23-2000, 02:27 AM
Just found out that you can't turn off the subtitles. However, it looks like it can play both full screen and widescreen, so maybe they won't be too distracting in widescreen mode. The seller also says it's a real sweet transfer. I still haven't decided yet though. What do you guys think?

scrybe
12-23-2000, 03:34 AM
get it, dude. it's a kick-ass dvd (although, kinda more like a video cd that there are no chapter stops), mine has subtitles, but they don't bother me, and i can't get it to play widescreen (even though i haven't tried..). the transfer's from the vestron video, but still better than some domestic mgm releases that i have seen. next to re-animator, the best lovecraft adaptation.

Vdlman
12-23-2000, 03:41 AM
I do know that this is a title Anchor Bay is looking into getting the rights to. Hopefully they'll get their hands on it and do it some justice. Also, on another note, I've often read things in literary sources stating that the movie had to be cut for an R-rating. Does anybody know if an uncut print exists? Because, if Anchor Bay ever decides to release this title and there is an unrated version in circulation somewhere, I'd like to see if they could get hold of it.

[This message has been edited by Vdlman (edited 12-22-2000).]

Dave
12-23-2000, 03:41 AM
Interesting...sort of weird we've never heard anything on this before. Could it be a Chinese bootleg? I wouldn't be all that surprised. Still, for $15.00 I'll give it a try.

I say do it!

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Squiggy
12-23-2000, 03:49 AM
The newsgroup reviews I remember seeing all said the locked subtitles were abnormally large - meaning even larger than the typical Asian subtitles you see on "import" titles. I've never seen this disc myself to verify though. Asian subs are usually large enough to begin with, so several people saying these were even larger really put me off. No one ever said it was both full and wide screen either.

If eBay somehow gets to high, you can also get it for $35.99 on DVD or $17.50 on VCD from Blue Laser:

http://store.bluelaser.com/cat.cgi?s=from+beyond

$15 on eBay sounds like the better deal if you want to chance the subs.

Wasn't there a chance that Anchor Bay might be doing this come 2001/2? I can't remember where I heard that, but it may have just been one of those typical 'Net rumors started after their "Re-Animator" announcement.

Vdlman
12-23-2000, 04:30 AM
Squiggy, Anchor Bay said in the last chat on the Home Theater Forum that From Beyond was one they were looking into but it's not official yet.

Squiggy
12-23-2000, 05:01 AM
Thanks. Couldn't for the life of me remember where I heard that.

mutleyhyde
12-23-2000, 06:30 AM
Well, I just placed my bid. We'll see how it turns out. The seller emailed me again to let me know that he wa sgoing to be putting various Faces of Death DVDs up for auction this week. If you're interested, keep an eye out. I don't dig 'em, but thought some of y'all might. Later...

------------------

M. Hyde

Mark Relford
12-23-2000, 07:40 AM
M. Hyde, here's a review for this disc: http://www.mondo-digital.com/frombeyond.html

Vdlman, the reviewer claims that some brain eating in the hospital was trimmed for an R- rating, but that's from the rumor mill.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 12-23-2000).]

mutleyhyde
12-23-2000, 10:02 AM
Hmmm... sounds like the cut was left on the original cutting room floor, and wasn't an after-release edit. That I can live with. Thanks for the tip on the review, Mark. They did mention the abnormally large subtitles. It's still gonna be cool as hell to have though. Has anybody else placed a bid yet? They got just under two days to go and 33 copies left, FYI. I'm interested to see if they sell 'em out.

------------------

M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 12-23-2000).]

ephilman
12-23-2000, 02:24 PM
I bought this in Hong Kong and was fairly disappointed that it was nearly the same as the Vestron release (I thought the S&M video Pretorius was watching was clearer on the tape), the subs were large, and it wasn't the uncut version. In Hong Kong, it sells for about $5.00 US, as do most Ocean Shores DVDs.

mutleyhyde
12-23-2000, 08:05 PM
5 bucks US!?! That ain't too shabby. Do you know if the Mei-Ah Akira Kurosawa dvds go for a similar price there? I've been wanting those for awhile, but never seem to get a good enough deal. Look like prices are coming down a little though.

------------------

M. Hyde

ephilman
12-24-2000, 04:29 AM
The Mei Ah DVDs are about the same everywhere, pricey. Ocean Shores are one step above bootleg.

landrvr
12-24-2000, 04:07 PM
sorry guys. i know i'm going to ruffle a few feathers here but:

i'm no copyright law fanatic - and i have more than my fair share of bootlegs - but the massive, chinese bootleg empire is just plain sick and wrong, and i for one refuse to support it in any way, shape, or form.

we aren't talking about a few guys sitting around dupping horror flicks onto blank VHS tapes. we are talking about whole plants with hundreds of workers who are ripping people off.

maybe the From Beyond DVD is legit, but i seriously doubt it.

mutleyhyde
12-24-2000, 08:06 PM
Go ahead, ruffle away. This is an issue that could certainly use some clarification. It would be nice to know which HK companies are legit and which ones aren't. I mean, are they all boot companies? Tai Seng is the big grandaddy, and I've seen Mei-Ah around a lot, but just what constitutes as legit in the East? Is a product considered a boot if it's legal to produce in one country and not another, or does it have to be illegally produced in the originating country to be considered so. It gets fuzzy, don't it?

------------------

M. Hyde

ephilman
12-24-2000, 09:14 PM
I'm no expert on the copyright issue, so my beliefs can only stem from observation. These few Ocean Shores DVDs that I have purchased LOOK like the real thing, complete with copyright information and contact points (www.ocean-shores.com). If anyone wishes to examine that site, please feel free to do so and satisfy yourself. The DVDs were purchased in Hong Kong for use in that country, and not for export, or import, as your view would have it.
In Hong Kong, I had many opportunities to purchase DVDs of dubious legitimacy, which I always declined to do. I have not at any time heard the ligitimacy of Ocean Shores products called into question.