PDA

View Full Version : Selling my LD-S9 player. Any takers?

Dave
10-30-2002, 12:05 AM
Hate to do it. PAINS me to do it. But I must sell my LD-S9 player. Need to pay off some debt. And after looking at the size of my current collection, plus the lasers I'm selling off and my low LD viewing frequency, this is the best item to sell.

$1050 - FREE shipping, + 2 DTS lasers (nothing rare).

If you can find these new, they usually sell for upwards of $1700. Used ones always sell for more than my price as well.

This is in mint condition - absolutely no problems. Guaranteed against D.O.A.

While I realize most people here can't afford, or justify the price, I will add that I plan on purchasing another LD player to replace this one. I'll probably get something along the lines of the CLD-D704 or better. So if anyone wants to trade their player towards the purchase of this LD-S9, I would consider it. Has to be a D604 or greater, however. And it cannot be the Elite CLD-D59 (too many bad experiences with that one).

This is the top-of-line Pioneer player (apart from Hi-Vision models such as the HLD-X9), only sold in Japan and never exported officially. It easily beats all models that ever were on sale in North America or Europe, including the Elite CLD-99, thanks mostly to the use of an advanced, High Resolution 3D Y-C separation filter. This player only handles LDs (12" and 8"), not CDs nor DVDs, and the clamping mechanism is optimized for this duty, instead of being a compromise between all formats. The aluminum turntable is said to enable a better pickup of the RF signal. You'll just be amazed at the quality of the picture, especially if upgrading from an older model. On CLV discs, access to individual picture fields is possible (half a frame), giving crisp, non flickering pause and step modes. If you have a large collection of LD, this is the player you need to get the most out of them. Needless to say, it has all possible outputs (two sets of S, composite, stereo; AC-3 RF; coaxial and optical), can read LD Graphics and has "Theater mode" for a quick side turn. Remote and all screen info in English.

http://www.horrordvds.com/images/ebay/lds9.jpg

jscott
11-03-2002, 11:16 AM
The past three nights I've had a cold, and I haven't been sleeping well. Guess what I've been thinking about at 3:00AM? That's right, your LD player!!!:sperm: :sperm: :sperm: If I only had $1050 laying around doing nothing...

Hellbilly
11-03-2002, 08:46 PM
I wish I had the cash. Would buy it in a heartbeat.
It's a beauty tho.

Dave
11-03-2002, 11:25 PM
LOL. A guy on HTF told me something similar. He emailed me and told me he had been imagining my player in his audio rack. This guy was crazy too, because the only lasers he had were Star Wars and Indy. He says he loves Star Wars so much that he was seriously considering buying my player just for playing them. That's crazy, especially when you KNOW they're going to hit DVD eventually. Then again, the DVDs will probably be the SEs only. Perhaps he wants to view the originals in the best possible presentation. But he already had the CLD-D704, and while the LD-S9 does produce a significantly better image, it's still not enough to justify the $1050 (or $750 had he traded me his player).

Well, if it helps, I'm probably NOT going to sell the player after all. If someone were to express interest, I would probably still sell it. But I'm not actively advertising it anymore, nor am I going to put it on ebay as previously planned (I've seen them sell well over $1050 on ebay).

My goal with selling the player was to get ahead on the bills. But from that $1050 I was going to spend $300-$400 on a decent Pioneer player to replace the LD-S9. In the end, $600-$700 isn't going to make enough of a dent to justify selling this beauty. Plus any player I did get I'd have to worry about potential problems. My LD-S9 is rock solid - I bought it with very little use and I myself have used it very little. Instead, I'm just going to be selling off some of the rarer discs in my collection that I haven't watched much, and that I think will definitely hit DVD at some point. Examples: Thing From Another World, Fearless Vampire Killers, and a handful of others. Still debating on whether I sell Frighteners or not. I'm a big fan of that movie, so I probably won't even though I do believe it will hit DVD (with a severely cut documentary).

I already made over $150 by selling off my X-Files sets. I want to raise around $600 total. At that point I'll be happy. :) What's good is I'm not in a huge rush to get the funds [want to pay off bills, but they aren't the kind building huge amounts of interest], so I can take my time and sell them on ebay to raise maximum capital. :glasses:

Dave
11-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Update: Player HAS BEEN sold. :cry:

Part of me definitely didn't want to let it go. But in the end, I just about broke even in terms of what I paid for it and what I sold it for. I think I could have made a bit more on ebay, but I prefer to avoid ebay on large items like that.

I already have my replacement player on the way. It's a Pioneer CLD-D604 - brand new. Total cost: $170 shipped. I think it's a great deal. I was hoping for a 704 as it will produce a slightly better image with its variable digital noise reduction feature (604 and 704 were both released in 95). But I'm not going to spend another ~$150 for a used 704. This 604 gets me S-Video Out and DTS/AC-3 outputs, which was my main concern. I'll definitely be taking a huge hit in video quality, though.

Lets have a moment of silence for the LD-S9, which will ship out next week. The question is, what should the final laserdisc I watch on it be?

Hellbilly
11-09-2002, 11:13 PM
Fearless Vampire Killers ;)

Dave
11-09-2002, 11:25 PM
Nah, I really didn't enjoy that movie much - hence the trade thread for it. :)

John
11-10-2002, 05:03 PM
May as well pop in The Frightners. Enjoy the rarity in all of its glory one last time.

Paff
11-11-2002, 12:11 AM
The Frighteners? Well, unless you're watching the documentary or the extras, the LD is notthing more special than the DVD (unless you have a DTS copy...)

I'd go with maybe a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie. Or the THX version of Aliens (theatrical release). Hmmm...what else? Silence of the Lambs Criterion is pretty nice, 'cause the sound is fantastic. Saving Private Ryan is a nice LD too. For horror try Day of the Dead or The Haunting (original)

And any DTS laser will be a lot of fun too...

Dave
11-11-2002, 02:42 AM
What do you mean, Paff? The Fighteners SE laser has 12 extra minutes of footage put back into the movie. And that 12 minutes is fairly entertaining too. I actually passed on picking up the DTS laser simply because it doesn't have the additional footage.

I picked up the THX laser versions of Alien and Aliens. It was a package deal. Those won't be here until later this week. I also have Alien Resurrection DTS coming for Wednesday. Perhaps that would make a good final viewing, as my son really loves those Alien movies.

Paff
11-11-2002, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Dave
The Fighteners SE laser has 12 extra minutes of footage put back into the movie.

I..I did not know that. That is some wild and wacky stuff.

Dave
11-11-2002, 04:31 AM
Wow. I guess you never read my review to the LD then. :fuck:

Paff
11-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Dave
I picked up the THX laser versions of Alien and Aliens.

Here's hoping that the cover on the copy of Aliens you got is in good shape. You'll know why when you get it, it's a real piece of art.

Wow. I guess you never read my review to the LD then[

Well, I did skim it. To be honest, I'm not the world's biggest Frighteners fan. I like the movie, but it's not among my all-time favorites...

Dave
11-11-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Paff
Here's hoping that the cover on the copy of Aliens you got is in good shape. You'll know why when you get it, it's a real piece of art.

I'm not super picky up cover condition. If it'll save me some money, I'll take a banged up cover over a mint one anyday. The Alien Resurrection DTS LD I just bought, as well as The Game DTS LD from the same person, both had less than perfect cover condition. But in comparison to what they usually sell for on ebay, I got a great deal on them.

As for Alien and Aliens, I believe the covers on those are in excellent condition. I should know for sure later this week when I receive them.

Gnaghi
11-11-2002, 08:40 PM
monster squad(widescreen)... and transfer it to dvd-r! or put it on the internet for others to consume :p

wago70
11-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Darn!!!! I was interested in buying the S9 player from ya - oh well, where can I get a new 604 or 704 by Pioneer?

Dave
11-13-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by wago70
Darn!!!! I was interested in buying the S9 player from ya - oh well, where can I get a new 604 or 704 by Pioneer?

Too late! :glasses:

I actually might be selling the 604, which I just got today. I found someone else selling a used Elite CLD-79 for another great price. I'd be better off selling the 604 on ebay, since I'd probably make enough to pay for the CLD-79. But if you are interested in it, I'd probably let it go for $200 shipped.

The LD-S9 - $600 went straight into savings, the remaining $400 was to replace my LD player, buy some discs, and get an RF demodulator. If I sell my 604 and get the 79, I'll only be slightly over budget. :)

wago70
11-14-2002, 11:06 PM
I'm completely interested in buying the 604!!!! email me or post here if you wanna give the go-ahead. Anytime between now and the end of the year.