PDA

View Full Version : WES CRAVEN: which movies do you hate the most?

bloodthirsty
11-03-2002, 07:23 AM
Of his directorial efforts, which do you hate the most?

DefJeff
11-03-2002, 08:11 AM
i voted for Scream 2, but it easily could be switched with Scream 3, both are the same garbage to me

on a side note, anyone who votes Last House on the Left gets a visit from me :)

betterdan
11-03-2002, 08:32 AM
I voted deadly friend as I haven't seen or can't remember all of the movies listed. I do remember deadly friend though and it blew ass chocolate.

slinker
11-03-2002, 09:13 AM
Scream 3 just shouldnt have been!! oh for the love of god...:fire:

Cujo108
11-03-2002, 09:15 AM
I voted for SCREAM. Wanted to like it, but turned up hating it. Now, THE HILLS HAVE EYES, THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW, and DEADLY BLESSING are Craven's top three best films, and are all classics in my book!

rhett
11-03-2002, 11:40 AM
THE HILLS HAVE EYES gets my vote...PART 2 that is. :) You know a director is strung for ideas when he resorts to using a dog's flashbacks as filler. :D

Justin, I don't understand how you could vote for SCREAM over the sequels. I can understand why people hate it, but there is no way its sequels are better than the original. ;)

Yowie
11-03-2002, 11:46 AM
I would like to vote for all three "Scream"s, please.:o

bloodthirsty
11-03-2002, 12:08 PM
maybe a Mod could edit the pole so you can vote for more than one movie? :D

Hellbilly
11-03-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm with rhett on this one. HILLS 2 must be his worst film to date.

KillerCannabis
11-04-2002, 02:30 PM
I had to go with Scream 3. It was easily not only Craven's worst, but also one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Period.

hell ya!
11-06-2002, 01:56 PM
who voted for Hills part 1 thats a classic

Eddie Quist
11-08-2002, 03:12 AM
Well, it was tough choosing between such masterpieces as DEADLY FRIEND and SCREAM 3, but I think his 80's TV stink bomb INVITATION TO HELL takes the cake. I just remember soap queen Susan Lucci acting out this embarassing EXCORCIST/ROSEMARY'S BABY-type storyline. If you don't remember this movie, then you're pretty lucky...Craven has had such a hit-and-miss career...I still respect him, though.

betterdan
11-08-2002, 04:20 AM
Who voted for Stranger in our house?:fire: I loved that movie and would love a dvd.

thrashard76
11-08-2002, 05:33 AM
I went with Scream 3 even though I hadn't seen most of these titles. :eek1: Wasn't it Scream 3 that had Jay and Silent Bob in it as a cameo? I thought that was kinda cool though it didn't add to the overall movie (just cross promotion for that movie and the JASBSB movies). :D ;)

Jamm
11-08-2002, 03:34 PM
Deadly Friend was a big steaming pile of pooh, but Kristy Swanson was still cute, evan as a cyborg-corpse.

ZombieDrummer
11-08-2002, 10:31 PM
The scream films, people under the stairs AND new nightmare all suck ever so much and i aint afraid to state it!

hell ya!
11-10-2002, 05:12 AM
People under the stairs is great and is probably one of his bests.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
11-12-2002, 01:57 AM
Rhett took the words out of my mouth on this one. Hills Have Eyes Part 2 is simply god awful, and even though I have not seen it for at least 10 years, I have to both chuckle and groan when I see the box cover and think about the dog having his flashback. What in the world was Craven thinking when he made this???

BlazingMagnum
11-14-2002, 05:10 PM
I just hate Wes Craven to be totally honest with you.
I'm not saying he doesn't have any talent - because he does have his moments - but I think he's just one of the most self-important, sell-out, hack acts I've ever seen.

He's just another cheap producer. It's always Wes Craven's this, or Wes Craven's that - Fuck off Wes!

bloodthirsty
11-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by BlazingMagnum
I just hate Wes Craven to be totally honest with you.
I'm not saying he doesn't have any talent - because he does have his moments - but I think he's just one of the most self-important, sell-out, hack acts I've ever seen.

He's just another cheap producer. It's always Wes Craven's this, or Wes Craven's that - Fuck off Wes!

:lol:
which is pretty much why the Poll is worded the way it is :D
"which do you hate the most?"

BlazingMagnum
11-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Oh yeh, sorry - I got carried away.
I voted for Scream 2, because at least Hills 2 had Michael Berryman in it - which is a plus point. The second Scream - and most of the first - were just fucking awful. Horrible cocky high school stereotypes, wearing lots of make-up, and major eyebrow plucking going on - and that was just the guys.

Sick.:fuck:

bigdaddyhorse
11-15-2002, 07:29 AM
I can't decide between Shocker and Swamp Thing, both are total shit IMO. There's a few I haven't seen (all the tv ones, not sure about People Under the Stairs or Hills 2, if I did see em I can't remeber.:confused: )
I'll flip a coin later to vote.

onebyone
11-15-2002, 01:22 PM
I voted for the People Under the Stairs. I just didn't get that movie. I love almost all horror, even crap, but that movie did nothing for me at all.

The Chaostar
11-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by rhett
I don't understand how you could vote for SCREAM over the sequels. I can understand why people hate it, but there is no way its sequels are better than the original. ;)

First, because it sucks, second because if SCREAM didn't exist there would be no SCREAM II and SCREAM III either!:p

zombi3
11-22-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Yowie
I would like to vote for all three "Scream"s, please.:o

I voted for Scream 2. I haven't seen Scream 3 (called it quits after 2), but I would agree that the entire series is shit. In addition, I would like to add that I hate all the Scream rip-offs like I Know What You Did Last Summer and H20. Slasher films are not supposed to be "hip and trendy"! :mad:

David666
11-26-2002, 02:39 AM
The Eddie Murphey crap-o-rama "Vampire in Brooklyn" gets my vote, however Craven's lesser titles would have to be his TV films. Hills Have Eyes and Last House on the Left are far inferior to the Scream films and I can't understand the mentality that states the reverse.

Sure, Craven's made some bad films but this is really quite a bullshit poll, there are far worse directors out there... Jess Franco, Joe Diamato, Todd Sheets, Fred Olen Ray, Scott Dickerson, Hershal Gordon Lewis... just to name a few.

You can count on one hand the horror directors who have created a mythology that will withstadnt eh test of the ages...
and Wes Craven is one of them.

Cujo108
11-26-2002, 03:29 AM
Hills Have Eyes and Last House on the Left are far inferior to the Scream films and I can't understand the mentality that states the reverse.

Yeah, sure. THE HILLS HAVE EYES is a classic, and SCREAM doesn't even come close to challenging it.

David666
11-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Cujo108
Yeah, sure. THE HILLS HAVE EYES is a classic, and SCREAM doesn't even come close to challenging it.

Care to state why?

It is so easy to jump on the Scream backlash bandwagon and repeat what so many others on here have already said, but I have yet to see why anyone would say Hills Have Eyes is a classic.

Like I said, its easy to repeat whay others have said, it's hard to stand on your own and go against the grain. So tell me, what makes the Hills have Eyes such a classic? The bad acting, the amaturish directing? The pointless violence that really goes nowhere? What?

When someone makes a mainstream film that is universally liked on here he and it are called "stylish." (The RIng, anyone?) When someone makes a mainstream film that is not well liked on here then he's called a sell-out. Double standards are bullshit.

zombi3
11-26-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by David666
So tell me, what makes the Hills have Eyes such a classic? The bad acting, the amaturish directing? The pointless violence that really goes nowhere? What?

Wow! I still haven't seen The Hills Have Eyes, but from that description it sure sounds like a classic! :D

Cujo108
11-26-2002, 11:21 PM
The acting in THE HILLS HAVE EYES is not very bad at all IMO, and if you don't want to see "pointless" violence, stop watching horror. This film is Craven's best because it is gritty, bleak, intense, full of suspense, and is nicely acted with the great Michael Berryman at his best! It is a thought provoking film, and is very well done for such a low budgeted production. The film is relentless and disturbing, and those are some of the things a great horror film should be. I also admired Craven's idea to have the dog turn out as one of the main heroes.

Also, I don't jump on any of the little bandwagons that you speak of. I like what I like, and that is that! I don't think a bandwagon rider would state openly that he thinks THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, HALLOWEEN 3, and LORD OF ILLUSIONS (aka Clive Barker's best film) are absolute classics, but I have stated this numerous times on several boards! I also didn't hop onto the everyone loves LOTR bandwagon. Why? Because I didn't like the film! So, take your arrogant little assumptions elsewhere, because they don't apply to me!

DefJeff
11-26-2002, 11:28 PM
nicely put Cujo

now i wanna hear why David thinks Scream is a better film then Last House on the Left

rhett
11-26-2002, 11:39 PM
It is tough to compare SCREAM with LHTOL or THHE because they represent Craven in two very different stages in life. LHOTL and THHE lack polish, to be sure, but that lends to the films' gritty realism. Had they been as stylish and as professional as SCREAM the desired intent of the movies to horrify on a personal level would be lost. From ANOES onward, Craven developed a true understanding of the film medium, and his films changed considerably both thematically and technically. The fact that SCREAM is so professionally done makes it all the more satirical, which was the intent of Craven. Had it looked like LHOTL then it would have been taken much more seriously than it should have been.

So basically, I really can't see how one could vouch either way by comparison of Craven's earlier work to his newer stuff. They represent two different directors. We may as well try and compare the original NOSFERATU with THE EVIL DEAD.

Brainsplatter
11-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Everybody loves Carnival of Souls? Or doesn't this one count?

rhett
11-28-2002, 05:09 AM
Wes did not direct COS, he just the Executive Producer.

Mark Relford
12-29-2002, 04:47 AM
My vote went to the abysmal Hills Have Eyes sequel. It also gets top honor for being the worst horror sequel ever!
The Scream sequels were craptastic. I like how in Part 2, the characters were talking about crappy sequels. Well, you're in one! Sheer genius on Craven's part...:p
Deadly Friend had a cool death by basketball scene. That's the only positive thing to say about the movie.
Shocker was better than The Horror Show, (Another murderer gets electrocuted and seeks supernatural revenge movie.) but that's not saying much. Vampire in Brooklyn was neither funny nor scary. What was the point?
So, Craven has made his fair share of stinkers. Thankfully, he's not in the same company with hack, Hooper. I'll still check out his upcoming movies.

Broken
12-29-2002, 05:44 AM
I hate NMOES when I was 14 I thought they were good. Now that I have become a man they are junk.
:fire: :fire: :fire:

Midnight Buddha
12-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Any news on a release date for The Hills Have Eyes dvd?
I still haven`t seen this bloody film yet!

life_o_petey
01-01-2003, 08:24 PM
i went with Scream 3, but If i had noticed Vampire in Brooklyn, it would have been that. I liked most of the movies he's directed that i've seen...but he's got a few up there that are beyond shit.

Wermode
01-01-2003, 09:56 PM
American horror has been on a huge downward spiral since it became lightweight pop kidstuff in the early 1980's. Wes Craven is the poster child for that "movement" as evidenced by the list above. Scream in an embarassment to the genre, and the sequels fall deeper and deeper into the shitty abyss. I had to go with Scream 3.

moogong
01-03-2003, 03:20 AM
I had to go with Scream 3. I really hate it when movies try to go back and re-write the first parts...letting you know that there was a secret all along that you were not aware of until the final act. Scream was not written as a trilogy therefore the ending of part 3 pisses me off. To me it was just a cheap way of getting a "Oh Wow..I didnt see that coming" out of the audience. I really hope that the Matrix sequels don't do that.

Mattster
01-03-2003, 04:59 AM
I was just wondering... why have so many people who seem to hate Scream with a passion even bothered to watch the sequels?