PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare

dwatts
11-03-2002, 11:12 PM
See my other post for a lead in....

“Nightmare” is another example of an Asian film that is something other than top tier. This is not a bad thing, clearly not all Asian films can be at the level of Freezer and Audition. In fact, it is a fascinating exercise. The horror genre is full of clichés (how many more groups of teens can we see slaughtered?) would you be interested to know if the Asians fall into the same ruts?

The story behind Nightmare is a plot you have likely seen played out a dozen times. A group of young people do something bad – and they are haunted by the event – by the ghost of their victim. This has been played out countless times before, I must say, it is not generally a plot that would have attracted my interest.

Having said that, I wanted to delve deeper into Asian film, below the cream to see what is beneath. Lurking just beneath that cream is Nightmare.

Given the hackneyed plot, you would have every right to expect a lashing for this film. But it doesn’t get one for a very good reason – it does not show all its cards at the start of the film (the overall plot is rolled out slowly through its length) and secondly because it will likely scare the crap out of you a few times too. You see, the returning spirit in this film is truly frightening.

If you have seen Battle Royale, than you are familiar with the opening sequence. In this sequence a young girl, with a blood and dirt stained face, emerges with a grin on her face, looking insane and frightening. Well – Nightmare takes that little girl and gives her a complete film. When she appears, sometimes in flashes, I guarantee you’ll have a few jumps and suffer some Goosebumps. It is very well done, indeed.

I must admit, I am enthralled by the beautiful women found in Asian cinema. There are plenty here. And when one of them is turned into a symbol for evil, it is doubly shocking. Add Director who knows what he is doing, and you have a recipe for something great.

The film making here is superb. We have some great camera work, lighting and a script that, although clichéd, delivers the goods without getting too predictable. This is a pure Asian take on a film the Americans have made a hundred times, and while staying in the same lane, the Asians show this old school plot still has a bit of life in it yet.

This film is highly recommended to those that love Asian horror cinema. Sure, the story is not going to amaze you - but the overall effect likely will. In this day and age, it was actually refreshing to see a minimalist clichéd plot brought back to life.

Gorehounds: One scene, right at the beginning, that would have made Fulci proud.

Transfer: 4:3 in my copy. Anyone else noticed, that a 4:3 film played in a widescreen suffers very minimal distortion. I watched it in widescreen mode and it looked perfectly fine. A nice transfer, not superbit…. But….

Extras: Trailer.

slinker
11-04-2002, 08:16 AM
I have this on VCD, like you said its not a very original story...kinda like an asian `I Know What You Did Last Summer` meets `The Ring` but it was enjoyable to watch and did have some spooky moments. I think its a Korean film (always foxy chicks!!) and im sure its available under another English title, but i cant remember what it is :rolleyes:

Funktion
11-04-2002, 01:48 PM
The other english title is Horror Game Movie.

There's a Korean release that includes 3 discs: a dvd with the film and a couple of extras + 2 cd's, one with the soundtrack and other with some interviews (I believe it's a VCD).

KillerCannabis
11-04-2002, 02:24 PM
I'd rather see these typical storylines in Asian cinema because at least they'll make it 100 times more enjoyable than their US counterparts.

Bods
11-05-2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Funktion
The other english title is Horror Game Movie.

There's a Korean release that includes 3 discs: a dvd with the film and a couple of extras + 2 cd's, one with the soundtrack and other with some interviews (I believe it's a VCD).

And a great release it is too. The inclusion of the soundtrack was a nice touch, but the additional disc is actually a CD-ROM. I haven't even bothered checking it out on my PC (and I got it months ago), but I do know you can't play it in a DVD player :)

Interestingly, the making-of footage on the DVD shows scenes being made that aren't in the finished product.

I enjoyed this movie, here's hoping the director's next horror film called Phone (coming out on DVD later this month) is just as good.

mystro
11-15-2002, 09:23 PM
This sounds interesting. Where online can I purchase the dvd of Nightmare? (not to be confused with Nightmares)

Funktion
11-15-2002, 10:11 PM
You can find both the Korean (the 3 disc set) and HK editions at http://www.dvdasian.com/

mystro
11-15-2002, 11:44 PM
Thanks Funktion, but the HK dvd has no english subtitles and the Korean (I believe it's only 1 disc) is region 3 only.

:mad:

Bods
11-16-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by mystro
Thanks Funktion, but the HK dvd has no english subtitles and the Korean (I believe it's only 1 disc) is region 3 only.

:mad:

The Korean DVD is R3, and it does have three discs - the film on DVD, the soundtrack on CD and some PC stuff on a CD.

But the HK DVD *does* have english subtitles.
http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/12628.html?id=smyvvg8m

They are listed down in the specs.

Though I'd recommend skipping DVDAsian and going straight to the source country, it's always cheaper that way. It'll probably cost about the same price as DVDAsian, but that's with shipping included. You can grab it from dddhouse.com