PDA

View Full Version : So this is why Vampire Lovers is so late... (Countess Dracula!!!)

mutleyhyde
11-06-2002, 04:57 PM
When MGM put out Hound of the Baskervilles, I figured Vampire Lovers would be just around the corner, as word about them releasing both came out at about the same time. So I waited... and waited.

Well, finally, there is some new news, and boy is it sweeet! DVD Drive-In is reporting that MGM will be releasing Vampire Lovers on a double bill with Countess Dracula! All I can say is awesome. Ahh, I hear some voices of concern regarding extras, "aw man, not a MGM Double Feature disk! The extras are gonna blow!" but hold thy tongue, doubting Hammer addict! None other than legendary Hammer Glamour queen Ingrid Pitt is scheduled to record a commentary withing weeks for the release. Director Peter Sasdy and screenwriter Jeremy Paul will also be in attendance. This is lookin' to be a mighty fine release. MGM is kickin' butt here!

I tell ya folks, I am one happy Hemmer fan this morning. :D

www.dvddrive-in.com
(there is also news there about CAPTAIN KRONOS - VAMPIRE HUNTER, FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL over there, as well as Amicus' THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD, so high tail it over there.)

marioscido
11-07-2002, 05:45 AM
Finally, "Vampire Lovers" on dvd! Like I've always said: Give me a good print and proper aspect ratio and the rest is just candy. And you can't go wrong with MGM prices...

MISFITZ
11-07-2002, 07:58 PM
Exactly what marioscido said! :cool: :cool:

mutleyhyde
07-11-2003, 08:21 AM
It's been a long wait, but her's some kick-fucking-assed updated info from dvddrive-in...

"COUNTESS DRACULA: Letterbox 1.66:1; complete, uncensored British cut; commentary track with Director Peter Sasdy, Screenwriter Jeremy Paul and star Ingrid Pitt; trailer. THE VAMPIRE LOVERS: l.85:1, 16x9; commentary track with Director Roy Ward Baker, Screenwriter Tudor Gates and star Ingrid Pitt; excerpts from "Carmilla" read by Ingrid Pitt, accompanied by stills gallery; trailer. This includes all of the restored footage from MGM's VHS edition, plus the full-frontal nude shot of Ingrid Pitt emerging from the bathtub that has never appeared on any previous U.S. video release! This transfer also corrects a day-for-night scene that was mistakenly presented as "day" on the VHS."

OMFG! Pitt, Gates and Baker! Complete, uncensored, restored... full-frontal!! :D

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: OMFG again!

Zodiac-Mindwarp
07-11-2003, 08:37 AM
I am glad to join you in the banana dance on this one Sir! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

One the the discs that I am really looking forward to next month! :D

mutleyhyde
07-11-2003, 09:18 AM
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/images/i-m/mgmaug20031.jpg
Homina homina homina!! :)

mcchrist
07-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Sweet dude! MGM really did a number with this one, just look at that! Fuckin A, all on one disc and a cheap model at that!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

hell ya!
07-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Can't wait!

dwatts
07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
I have the R2 releases of both of these. The nude scenes are intact on those - but the commentaries are missing. So this will be a nice one to get.

Both films are just great. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Countess Dracula too.

Anyway, it's the extras that make these, since both films are out in R2. And for the price, it's a worthy upgrade.

mutleyhyde
07-17-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
Anyway, it's the extras that make these, since both films are out in R2. And for the price, it's a worthy upgrade.

Well, Captain Obvious here, but for those of us who don't live on the isle, it's the movies that make these, since both films aren't out in R1 :rolleyes: , and amazing it may be, but not everybody has a cheap-assed all region Apex. :p

Hyde, that anti all-region motherfucker :D

p.s., Buy American, Goddammit! :banana:

dwatts
07-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Being region crippled is a self-inflicted wound. I bet a US made DVD player doesn't exist --LOL-- Still, if you're good at waiting, and don't mind occasionally getting inferior product, region crippled might be the way to go.

Region encoding is ANTI- American, as it is anti-competitive.

Being region free - I have watched both of these several times on DVD. Happier, I could not be :)

mutleyhyde
07-18-2003, 02:54 AM
I didn't get into DVD technology to suckle up to inferior product. Phooey!!

dwatts
07-18-2003, 10:10 AM
I should note - my first DVD player was a great one. Featrues up the ying yang. But it was NOT region free, and could not be made region free. Hard choice. But I dumped it for a new player. The first player was great - but it was built to limit my choices! So it had to go. So - I do understand the pain of having to rebuy a player, but it's well worth it.