PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th: A New Beginning

Nyghtfall
11-09-2002, 01:38 AM
I've only ever seen the Pan-and-Scan version on VHS, and am considering buying a copy of the DVD. I have just one question:

There's a scene involving a gorgeous redhead who's impaled from under the top bunk of the bunk-bed she's decided to nap on. Unfortunately, we don't see the knife come up through her chest like we did with what's-her-name from Friday the 13th: Part 3. Does the widescreen show enough of the scene that we see the knife in Part 5?

Thanks.

rxfiend
11-09-2002, 01:56 AM
if i'm not mistaken, the movie was filmed open matte, thus meaning black bars were placed on the full frame for the widescreen (you actually see more on the VHS).

Bods
11-09-2002, 02:29 AM
I think this, like a lot of F13 death scenes, was trimmed by the MPAA. I don't think you'll see a knife go through her chest regardless of whether it's widescreen or not.

The good ol' imdb has a great list of the cuts made:
http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0089173

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but there is a rumour going around that the (legit) F13 HK VCDs contain uncut, or at least less-cut versions of the films. The VCD of the original film is put out by Warner and generally considered to be fully uncut, the others are done by Paramount which would lead me to beleive they'd be the same old cut versions, but one person whose info is usually reliable says they contain "more gore than I've seen before".

Honestly, I don't hold out too much hope for parts 2 onwards, but I'm thinking of buying the VCD of Part 5 anyway in the not too distant future. Just out of curiosity.

Nyghtfall
11-09-2002, 03:08 AM
From what I just read of that link you referred me to, I would love to get my hands on that VCD myself.

As far as I'm concerned, every movie in this franchise, after part 2, is nothing more than a showcase of how many different ways the FX department can come up with to kill off a bunch of stupid teens. In fact, immediately after watching part 2 after it's release on VHS, I conclude that the only reason I would ever want to see another entry into would be to watch all of the wonderfully creative deaths.

It irritates me to know end that the powers that be could be so arrogant as to argue that the movies themselves have enough of a plot that there's no need to "offend" audiences with all the violence. That's the whole point of a slasher flick. There is no plot, just violence.

Grrr...

I hate this... now I feel a moral imperitive to try and locate the VCD, if it exists.

EDIT: I just found this while doing a Google search for "Friday the 13th VCD":

http://www.blockbuster.com.hk/Main/movie_details.php?id=960

Now, I'm curious to know how uncut it is.

rxfiend
11-09-2002, 04:22 AM
i have the (original) Friday the 13th VCD (which you can get for $10 at pokerindustries.com) and it is uncut. it only restores about 10 seconds to the film, but the extended Kevin Bacon death makes it worth it! i believe there are 3 other scenes that are extended.

Nyghtfall
11-09-2002, 07:05 AM
It appears there is truth to the rumors. I found this while doing a Google search for the phrase, "Robin's machete scene":

http://www.voorheeslair.dreamwater.net/cuts5.html

Fistfuck
11-09-2002, 08:57 AM
I think I maybe the only one in the world, but I enjoyed F13 5. I mean why not, it has tons of great deaths, tons of nudity, and is probably the most "80s" of all the F13s.

Bods
11-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Nyghtfall
Now, I'm curious to know how uncut it is.

I'm going to get it with my next DVDShelf order, so I'll let you know how it is then if you like. Though, that probably won't be for a few weeks (since their shipping is expensive, I prefer to order a lot of things at once).

It's been a while since I've seen Part 5, but if it really is uncut I suppose it'd be very noticeable. And at least with that link you provided I've got some pics to go on.

KillerCannabis
11-09-2002, 09:57 AM
I dont like F13th part 5 and theres only one reason why.... its not Jason. Sure, it may have great death scenes, a high body count and a great 80's feel, but I feel cheated the whole time knowing its not Jason behind the mask but some backwoods yokel.

Agent Z
11-09-2002, 01:14 PM
but I feel cheated the whole time knowing its not Jason behind the mask but some backwoods yokel.

hmmmm.........................I thought the "backwoods yokel" was the idiot on the motor scooter......:D ........Roy the paramedic didn't have that country bumpkin feel to his character......but your point in general is still taken, nonetheless......;)

Fistfuck
11-11-2002, 01:57 AM
But Jason is barely in F13 and JGTH, and those are two of the best F13s.

mcchrist
11-11-2002, 09:00 AM
But Jason is barely in F13 and JGTH, and those are two of the best F13s.

Indeed. I mean, come on, its a guy in a mask killing people. Whether its Jason or not, I don't really give a crap, hell it could Madman Marz or George Hamilton for all I care.

McBride_01
11-11-2002, 12:59 PM
I'd heard that the part 5 DVD had a bit more gore than the original release, but I can't confirm it.

What the hell...

Favorite F13 films:

1 & Final Chapter (tie)
8 & 9 (tie)
X

rxfiend
11-11-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by McBride_01
I'd heard that the part 5 DVD had a bit more gore than the original release, but I can't confirm it.

there's not.

AceRimRat
11-13-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist
hell it could Madman Marz or George Hamilton for all I care.

I like Part 5, but frankly, if it were George Hamilton, it would make for a more interesting ending.

:p

Roger Ebert
08-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I love; -Friday the 13th: -Part V: -A New Beginning.. -I've watched it
for tits and ass.. -I love; -Debbie Sue Voorhees when she gets so fucking
naked.. -Talk about great can's..! -I also love the red hair girl's tits at
the end as well.. -Two bad she gets it with the Jason Voorhees inpersonation.. -Consider how bad this one is.. -Now with; -DVD..! -I
think; -it can hold on as good in another generation..! -I liked; -"The
"Final Chapter..!" -I thought they stop from their..? -It was a good
sequel.. -After Jason gets a milk dud by; -Tommy Jarvis..! -Played by
Corey Feldman..! -The man played by; -Tommy Jarvis is..! -John
Sheppard..! -A really bad actor; -Melinnie Kinneman..! -DOE'S REALLY
WELL..! -WHILE SCREAMING HER LUNGS..!

RickMoe
08-15-2004, 09:31 PM
I own both versions of FRIDAY THE 13TH 5: A NEW BEGINNING (the widely available R-rated theatrical release and the overseas VERSION 2 cut), and as most FRIDAY fans will know, neither of them are uncut. The VERSION 2 has a few differences from the regular theatrical release, mostly some additional dialogue, different takes, different lines spoken and Jason (Roy) getting hit with the chainsaw 2 times in the barn, instead of just once. But where this VERSION 2 contains these additions, it is missing some of the nudity from the widely available version, and does NOT contain the uncut versions of the death sequences.

Cujo108
08-15-2004, 09:55 PM
I love this film, and its the second best in the series, though it has interchanged with The Final Chapter for the #1 spot several times in the past. I adore both, and A New Beginning is very underrated.

I like the halfway house setting. Its a unique idea, and I think it works well. I also think the area the film was shot in is one of the more atmospheric of the series. The characters are great too. From the quirky halfway house residents, to the whacky Demon, to the crazed backwoods hicks, this film's characters are very entertaining. Especially the hicks. I also like the direction they took Tommy's character in, having all those mental problems thanks to Mr. Voorhees. Its a shame they didn't continue the idea in Jason Lives.

I think the kills in this film are some of the most original kills in the series, not to mention some of the best. A leather strap crushing someone's head against a tree, a road flare to the mouth, a cleaver decapition while riding a motorcycle, and a few others aren't your average type of slasher kills. I also love the fact that the killer is copycat, Roy. Its a nice, refreshing take, and I love Roy every bit as much as I love Jason, and I think having chocolate bar boy be his son was a nice twist. Funny how he kills everyone but his son's killer, but I'm sure he couldn't get to him.

I could go on and on about why I adore this film, there's many more reasons, but I'll cut it short. Anyway, outstanding entry into the series, right up there with The Final Chapter.

STREET TRASH
08-16-2004, 02:43 AM
I'm with you on that Cujo, A New Beginning and The Final Chapter are definitely my fav entries in the series (along with part 1.) Of note, Dominick Brascia, the chocolate bar boy, directed the fairly bland slasher Evil Laugh.

The death scenes were cool but man - there was practically no payoff to any of them. My fav scene is where the new wave chick is dancing to the song "His Eyes" (performed by super underrated act Pseudo Echo)

RyanPC
08-16-2004, 03:09 AM
This is definitely an underrated film in an otherwise overrated series (besides the great parts 1-3). One of the best ones, IMO.

Grim
08-16-2004, 03:53 AM
There isn't a Friday the 13th film I don't like. Although this is probably the third worst of the series for me, I still enjoy it.

Luna
08-16-2004, 10:40 PM
My fav scene is where the new wave chick is dancing to the song "His Eyes" (performed by super underrated act Pseudo Echo)Woo! That song's been getting quite a few spins here lately. :banana:

Makes me wanna see the movie every single time.

Tuzotonic
08-17-2004, 04:00 AM
I like part 5 a lot. It's probably my third or fourth favorite movie of the series along with the first two movies and part 4. It has more humor in it than almost all of the other movies and I know I may be the only here who think this, actually like that it's not Jason killing people. The movie has great nudity, fun characters, and bad acting galore. It's what makes a horror movie fun.

Tuzotonic
08-17-2004, 04:02 AM
I like Part 5, but frankly, if it were George Hamilton, it would make for a more interesting ending.

:p

Wouldn't George Hamilton be the perfect choice to play Leatherface in the next Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie?

STREET TRASH
08-17-2004, 05:48 AM
Woo! That song's been getting quite a few spins here lately. :banana:

Makes me wanna see the movie every single time.

I make it a point to mention Pseudo Echo whenever talking about Friday 5 ;) .

Luna
08-17-2004, 11:38 AM
With good reason! :lol:

In fact, because of this thread, I'm gonna throw part 5 on in a few minutes when I finally go to bed.