PDA

View Full Version : Tetsuo: The Iron Man

KillerCannabis
11-10-2002, 07:44 PM
I finally got a copy of this on DVD last night from Amoeba records in Hollywood. It cost me $40, but I think it was worth it, especially since its OOP. It certainly is an interesting film. It sort of has a Lynch-meets-Japan feel to it. Lots of disturbing sequences and over-the-top gore helped too.

Shannafey
11-10-2002, 08:51 PM
Damn, KC I have been trying to get rid of mine for a while. I am actually going to put it up on Ebay in a while. They are fetching high prices. I found a used copy, and I personally hated it. I got Tetsuo 2 at the same time, and that was better, but not much!!

dwatts
11-10-2002, 10:29 PM
Boy - this thing goes for 10 pounds in the UK!

Anyway - I bought it - and it is almost - but very nearly - complete and utter crap. Awful affair, with silly stop motion things that don't work. The opening ten minutes are actually quite good - but after that it just gets sillier and sillier. Thank God I never bought apart two. I have heard it is a bit better - but it would have to be a LOT better to make it worthwhile!

McBride_01
11-11-2002, 01:05 PM
I really enjoyed the first half of this film, but it sort of falls off towards the end. I'm glad I didn't have to pay $40 for it! :eek1:

robman795
11-12-2002, 05:36 PM
i wanted to get the pal region 1 DVD but since that was out of print I orderd the Tartan DVD release of it. I really enjoyed part 1 and part 2 was just great.:)

KillerCannabis
11-14-2002, 08:17 PM
It might be hard for most people to stomach, not for its gore, but for its pacing and content. I personally thought it was a good movie and I'm going to pick up part 2 the first chance I get.

2D4EVER
11-15-2002, 04:15 AM
I, for one, like 2 better. It's longer with more of a back story. It explains more than the first one does of how this guy came to be. And the ending kicks ass. :)

BloodMan
11-15-2002, 07:53 AM
I have both of these on vhs. They are alright films, some cool weird imagery. I like the first one a lil bit more than the second. Tho the first one's last 45 minutes or so is kinda mehh... not that great. I think Shinya Tsukamoto's best film is BULLET BALLET. I love that film alot more than I did the Tetsuo films.

cheers!!!
:) :) :) :)

Nick

Bods
11-16-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by BloodMan
I think Shinya Tsukamoto's best film is BULLET BALLET. I love that film alot more than I did the Tetsuo films.

I don't think it's his best, but it definately his most underrated. More people need to see that movie! Available on a legit R0 Taiwanese disc with english subs (falsey claims to be anamorphic), it's an OK DVD. Can't compare to the French or Japanese (supervised by the man himself) discs but still acceptable.

robman795
11-16-2002, 12:47 PM
I also think Shinya Tsukamoto a great actor I enjoyed his roles as JIJI in Ichi and he was funny as hell in Dead Or Alive 2.

Suicide
11-22-2002, 04:57 PM
I have it and I'm really tempted to eBay it. I did like it though, a little hard to sit straight through, but I was entertained for the most part, but I can't find a job (probably because I'm not looking too hard) and the last one I saw on eBay went for $51 I think. Plus it's not a movie I find myself watching too often. I think I may just go ahead and sell it. How much do you guys think I should start it off at? Because I wanna make sure I get a decent amount for it. Is $20 too high to start it off at?

Shannafey
11-23-2002, 03:16 AM
I am going to put mine up on Ebay for the same reasons. $20 isn't too high, but I think the lower price attracts more bidders faster. I am going to put it up at $10, when I finally get around to it.

Suicide
11-23-2002, 08:03 PM
I went ahead and put it up for $20, it's up to $27 now, with 5 and 1/2 days left. I personally wait till items have less than a day left before I bid, so I think I'll get more bids as the auction is close to ending. Anyway hope it goes okay, this is my first eBay auction I've gotten bids on.

Numania
12-08-2002, 10:15 AM
I like this movie. I got it for about $20. The weirdness and lack of story add to it for me. I would rather have to use my capacities and make up sequences at times than have it all right in front of me...classical tradition.
I saw Eraserhead for the first time recently, and I was blown away. That was great, and Tetsuo is a cool Japanized remake. I doubt I would like 2, but who knows.
Sewer Screw