PDA

View Full Version : Hellsing Anime Series

Shannafey
11-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Has anyone else seen this gem? Somebody gave me a copy of the series. (Thankfully, since Anime is such a ripoff at $30 for 3 episodes at 23 min. each. The whole set is 13 eps.) Anyway, it totally rocks!!! Awesome vampire series. Nothing totally origin, a mix of John Carpenter's Vampires, Blade, The cool UK series Ultraviolet and others, but an original way of presenting the story. There's some weird stuff in there that I just don't get, and that's what always turned me away from anime, but this one is worth seeing. Now, I am by no means an anime fan. The only other titles which really did it for me were the Vampire Hunter D films, Perfect Blue and Golgo 13, so if you are into anime, it's a must have, and if you are only mildly into it, like myself, but love vampire films, GET IT!!!

Paff
11-11-2002, 11:37 PM
I saw the first episode of Hellsing back at Comic-Con this year, and I liked it a lot. Been meaning to pick up the series, but as you pointed out, it can be expensive. With Anime, you really have to shop around to find the occasional bargains.

I did find a used DVD seller with Volume 2 of Hellsing for $12 and I grabbed it immediately. Haven't watched it though, obviously, since I need to get Volume 1 still.

But from what I've seen so far, it looks pretty hot.

BloodMan
11-15-2002, 08:57 AM
I'm looking for this series as well. Slowly but surely my Anime collection is growing! heheheeeeee!
cheers!!!
:) :) :) :)

Nick

BloodMan
11-15-2002, 09:15 AM
Hey Paff
You can get the entire series from www.animekrazy.com or www.animekrazy2.com
I don't know why there are two places, but the addresses are there.

cheers!!!
:) :) :) :)

Nick

Shannafey
11-15-2002, 03:12 PM
www.yumyumanime.com has it for $35. I don't know if it's the whole series, you'll have to email them. I got copies, as I said, but now I'm hooked. Hope they make more!!

Paff
11-15-2002, 06:47 PM
OK guys, here's the problem:

Those are bootlegs!

Anime bootlegs are a huge issue. They're lower quality, subtitles are not done well, etc. I accidently bought a bootleg disc of Blue Seed, and immediately noticed all the deficiencies in thw quality. You're doing a grave disservice to both yourself and the legitimate distributors when you buy those discs.

Seriously, don't buy bootlegs, especially when the discs are readily available (albeit more expensive) on legitimate Region 1 versions.

Paff
11-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Legitimate copies of Hellsing:

http://www.planetanime.com/cgi-bin/anime/search?pH4HIMFW;;15

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/095cMtT8msZr9awXiO/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1

All of these are fully licensed. Yes, a bit pricey, but I've bought stuff from both of those places, and they frequently have sales, coupons, promotions, etc, that make everything a lot more reasonable.

Hell, even Best Buy has it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/search/sr01.asp?m=0&SC=site&SV=hellsing

Evil Disco Guy
11-15-2002, 11:28 PM
DDDHouse has the R3 version up (link (http://www.dddhouse.com/cgi-local/product.cgi?product_id=2341&category_id=35)) at HK$235.00 which is roughly $30.13 (or 19.07) and is legitimate. Haven't heard much about it but the video quality is quite good, comes on 4 discs and has English and Chinese subs with the original Japanese audio. However, from the small bits I've heard, the English subs aren't up to much.

thrashard76
11-16-2002, 07:39 AM
Hey Paff, would you mind posting some reviews from various anime titles like La Blue Girl Returns, Berserk, Jin Roh for the front page to Horrordvds? ;)

Paff
11-16-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by thrashard76
Hey Paff, would you mind posting some reviews from various anime titles like La Blue Girl Returns, Berserk, Jin Roh for the front page to Horrordvds? ;)

Personally, I'd love to add some more anime reviews, and it will be happening, but it's gonna take time. One of the things I did at Comic-Con 2002 was schmooze with some DVD companies to get some screeners, and they've replied quite happily. Urban Vision hooked me up with that Petshop of Horrors disc and I have one in tank from Manga Entertainment.
Of course, I also talked with some horror distributors, and they're on board as well. So I'm jammed with stuff to review, and I bump the live-action horror to the front of the line naturally.

I DON'T think there'll be any La Blue Girl reviews though....unless tentacle sex is something a lot of the HorrorDVDs.com readers want to hear about...
Haven't seen Jin-Roh yet, though it's on my list.
I'd love to have both Vampire Hunter Ds reviewed though.
Hellsing will be a great addition too. When I get the first disc in that series, I think I'll add a review for that.
Blue Seed definitely has horror elements.
BoogiePop Phantom might work, same with Lain.

oh, and Dave wants me to crank out more LD reviews by the end of the month...

Shannafey
11-17-2002, 08:35 PM
I am not going to get into a whole "moral" issue subject here, since it was done in another post. Also, I know this is like comparing apples to oranges, but the "legitimate set" comes out to $120 for 13 episodes. Anime is just way out of line in pricing. I just bought the Lord of the Rings extended edition for $25. I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE SAME!!! But, what a discrepancy. What's so special about 4 1/2 hours of anime that makes it worth $120?

Paff
11-18-2002, 12:00 AM
Yeah, apples and oranges, but if you're gonna make that comparison, make sure you use the LIST price of Lord of the Rings, which is $40, and probably a promotion for the week of relase only.

Personally, I don't know why Anime is more expensive, but I'm sure there are a few reasons. For one thing, everything Anime is an import, and also has to be purchases by a US company (IE, New Line produced Lord o the Rings, and the DVD as well). Hellsing had to be purchased by Pioneer before they could even release it.

I also think it's safe to say that Lord of the Rings will probably sell more copies than Hellsing, so they can lower the price and sell more in volume.
Again, I know you're not making a one-to-one comparison...

Then you have the issue of translating and subtitling. This is a huge issue. I recently watched a bootleg Nadesico: Prince of Darkness, and it was completely unintelligible due to poor translating. Bootleg discs are definitely inferior in quality.

Now, the next question you have is "Hey Paff, why did you watch a bootleg Nadesico if you're so anti-bootlegging? Huh? Hypocrite!"
Well, yeah, guilty as charged. But I do have my reasons. Often full-length movies are made based on Anime series. Now, if it's a series I've watched all the episodes on, I'm gonna see the movie. Unfortunately, those movies are usually released dub-only, which I hate. Especially if I'm used to the voice actors from 26 episodes, now I'm stuck with some bad English overdub. Escaflowne, perfect example. I watched all 26 episodes with Maaya Sakamoto as Hitomi, then suffered through the movie with some bad American actress doing the voice.
Thus, with other series I've watched all the episodes on (Cowboy Bebop, Martian Successor Nadesico), I decided to buy bootlegs with subtitled Japanese. HOWEVER, when those movies come stateside, I'll see them anyway (now that I've seen them with the proper language first), and if a Region 1 DVD is released with original language, I will DESTROY my bootleg copies and buy licensed ones.

Since licenced Hellsing discs exist, I'm flatly anti-bootleg on that title.

Again, if you're willing to look around (and wait a little), you can often find the discs a lot cheaper, usually under $20.

Even if it's overpriced, that doesn't justify supporting bootleg product. You only encourage more of it that way.

Shannafey
11-18-2002, 04:42 AM
Paff, you definitely gave some reasonable arguments, and please, don't get me wrong, I am not for bootlegging, especially since I am in the video business. I have recently been getting into anime, big time, though I was watching it, back when it was coming in this country ONLY as bootlegs of Jap. lasers w/o subs. I was looking for the old Dirty Pair tv series, which isn't available anywhere, and found a guy that had them in divx, fansubed, and he offered me a lot more stuff, so being curious about Hellsing, since hearing so much about it, I took the bait. After watching them in divx, and loving them, I figured, the dvds would be nice, but when even Best buy has them for over $22 a disc, I will stick with my boots. I just can't afford that. Anime is so high, and unfortunately, you can't rent a lot of it, so it's a risky buy. I guess the same can be said of a lot of cult horror stuff. Anyway, just wanted to say I'm with you, Paff, not trying to support boots, and definitely give us some anime reviews, so we know what to make of them!!

aoiookami
11-18-2002, 08:24 AM
I dont know much about Dirty Pair, but I'm pretty sure ADV has released the original series, check it;
http://www.advfilms.com/catalog/index.asp?f=O&s=1

Shannafey
11-18-2002, 03:54 PM
They've only released the video series. The movies (3 of them) are only available on vhs, if you can find them, and the old tv series (26 eps.) is only available in bootleg form. Believe me, I checked everywhere, and now have all of them.