PDA

View Full Version : Miller's Crossing and other stuff

Paff
11-11-2002, 07:42 PM
A guy put an ad in the local classifieds looking to sell some LDs (more on that later). I checked out his collection, and while there wasn't much there I needed, I did pick up the widescreen copy of Miller's Crossing. Previously, I only had the older full-frame edition. If you're a fan of this movie, DEFINITELY pick up the widescreen copy, 'cause it looks a lot better. Highly recommended.

Also got Deliverance, and that looks great too.

Now, about the guy selling the discs, he still has around 180 more to sell, all at $10 a pop. Don't expect a lot of rarities or special editions, his titles are mostly "commons". Little to no horror, also.

But if anyone's looking to boost their collection, I can put you in touch with him. Also, he's not able to E-mail a title list. I know, 'cause I tried.

Oh, and finally, Ross' Exchange has lowered the price on their laserdiscs too. ('bout freakin time...) http://www.rossexchange.com

Dave
11-11-2002, 09:25 PM
Maybe I'll checkout Ross again. I know you always recommend them, but I never found much I was interested in or their prices were too high. Good to see they came to their senses. Nothing bugs me more than seeing these outrageously priced auctions up on ebay. One seller in particular - mkyrourke or something to that effect - tries selling stuff for unbelievable prices. Rare discs are one thing, but the majority of his stuff isn't rare whatsoever. He was trying to get $49.95 (or $59.95 Buy It Now) for the Bride of Chucky LD. That was never a rare disc, it's not in high demand, and the DVD is vastly superior (extras). I see him trying to unload the same stuff over and over again too. You would think he'd wake up and lower his prices.

In the end, it's the seller's right to charge whatever they feel, just as it's the buyer's right not to bid on it (which is often the case on his auctions).

It's strange, but now that I sold my LD-S9 and I have a low end player coming, I'm much more inclined to actually use the player, as well as more interested in buying additional discs. With the LD-S9, I wanted to use it as little as possible to get more life out of it. But with the low end players, worst case scenario is you spend $200-$300 to replace it. And while that's still a lot, it's not in the $1000+ price range that the LD-S9 has.

Paff
11-11-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Maybe I'll checkout Ross again. I know you always recommend them, but I never found much I was interested in or their prices were too high.

Yeah, Ross was (and still sort of is) a little too expensive. However, he's also FAIR and CONSISTENT. Yes, his pricing policy was a little outrageous when it means he wants $20 for Terminator 2 (probably the most common laserdisc ever printed), but it's great when you can get Salo LD for $25. (If he ever gets the Salo DVD, it will be at his standard Criterion price of $20). I'm on the waiting list for The Frighteners Box Set, and if I ever get it, it will be for half of the original list price, meaning $25. Can't beat that. I'd be pissed if he jacked up the prices for rare discs, something he doesn't do.

Also, his trade-in policy is fair too, which is very rare for used media sellers. I remember once when I went to a different used LD seller, and he offered me a whopping $2 trade-in on my Tomorrow Never Dies LD when I wanted to upgrade that title to DVD. Ross offers a flat trade-in rate of $4 less than what he'll re-sell it for. Plus, he permanently stamps his LDs, and will always buy them back, another great policy.

Finally, the quality of the LDs you get from Ross are guaranteed to be free of rot and defects. Even if his prices are a bit too high sometimes, he's easily one of the best LD resellers going...

laserdogg
11-12-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Paff
Plus, he permanently stamps his LDs...

How does he mark them? I don't know if I'd care for that.

Paff
11-12-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by laserdogg
How does he mark them? I don't know if I'd care for that.

Oh, it's just his "RE" sticker that he puts on the disc label, not the disc surface itself. Hell, maybe it isn't even permanant, I just thought it was one of those "non-removable" stickers. Doesn't affect disc playback at all. He does it 'cause some people would have a rotted or defective disc they purchase elsewhere, then buy a copy from Ross, and try to return the defective disc back to him. This way, he knows which discs were once his for buyback purposes.

Paff
11-12-2002, 04:18 AM
Here are the permanent stickers Ross uses

Laserdisc:

http://members.aol.com/devilpaff/images/salo

And DVD:

http://members.aol.com/devilpaff/images/bride

Dave
11-12-2002, 04:26 AM
Perty!