PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Playback Trading

Dave
11-15-2002, 10:57 PM
Well, I just got back from Playback Trading. It was great browsing through lasers again, but I didn't pickup very much at all. I'd say there were around 500-1000 laserdiscs at best. I got there about 3 hours after it started, so I don't think I missed out on too much.

Here's what I got:

3 Used LDs for $10.00 total:

Tourist Trap
The Stepfather
Halloween 6 (DVD isn't anamorphic, so I figured why not for ~$3.50)

New discs at $4.95 each:

Trancers III

Alien 3 (Been wanting to watch this again. I hear the transfer isn't so great. Sound is only Dolby Surround. For the price, I figured why not. Now I don't have to spend $10+ on the DVD, which I'll watch once every few years at best)

Memoirs of An Invisible Man (Not on DVD. Tried getting it off ebay recently for $10.00, but deal fell through. So I saved some money there - no shipping either)

Dollman vs Demonic Toys (was hoping to win this on ebay today - auction is already up to $5.00, plus I'd have to pay shipping. Plus this is mint. This was a good find for me.)

Dollman (same as above, though it's not on ebay right now)

I also picked up a new copy of Lost Highway for $25.00. I was hoping this would be on sale but they wouldn't budget on the price. $25.00 isn't bad, though. It's widescreen and there are some trailers on it.

Also picked up some LD jackets and inner sleeves.

I don't think the used DVDs were priced all that good at $10.00 each. They had a lot of MGM DVDs in there, many of which you can get brand new at $10.00 each.

They had a good amount of import DVDs, but most are priced out of my range. Was tempted on the Canadian Smallville DVD, but passed.

Not much else on the laser front. A lot of junk titles like P&S and what not. They had the Godfather movies, which I would have gotten but they were P&S. A few Roan discs - Pyro and Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, but I wasn't interested in them. No Elite discs, no DTS discs, no Criterion. There were no imports besides Lost Highway, some karaoke stuff, and the Lost in Space box sets (expensive).

Wasn't really worth the 30 minute drive and $2.00 in tolls. I'm glad I got something, though. Of course, they overcharged me by $6.00. Ooops! Just sent them an email. Hopefully they'll charge that back to my card. I don't want to have to dispute it.

I'm sure the place will be packed with people tomorrow. And they're still open for 3 more hours today. I'm sure all the semi-decent discs will be long gone by then.

Think I'm going to watch Memoirs tonight.

Paff
11-15-2002, 11:13 PM
3 Used LDs for $10.00 total:

Tourist Trap
The Stepfather
Halloween 6 (DVD isn't anamorphic, so I figured why not for ~$3.50)

Well, The Stepfather makes the trip worthy right there. It's not a spectacular LD by any means, but it's nice to have, at least until a DVD comes out..

Alien 3 (Been wanting to watch this again. I hear the transfer isn't so great. Sound is only Dolby Surround. For the price, I figured why not. Now I don't have to spend $10+ on the DVD, which I'll watch once every few years at best)

"Only" Dolby Surround?? Dude, the sound on that Laser rocks big time. Transfer isn't terrible, but you'll need a good LD player for it to look passable.

Dave
11-15-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Paff
Well, The Stepfather makes the trip worthy right there. It's not a spectacular LD by any means, but it's nice to have, at least until a DVD comes out..

Yeah, perhaps. I haven't seen it in ages. For me, it was the Dollman vs Demonic Toys that made it worth it! :lol:

"Only" Dolby Surround?? Dude, the sound on that Laser rocks big time. Transfer isn't terrible, but you'll need a good LD player for it to look passable.

Well, we shall see how the 604 holds up. Alien Resurrection looked great, but as I told you earlier, that is known to be one of the top transfers on laserdisc.

MISFITZ
11-21-2002, 12:24 AM
Yeah good pick up on the STEPFATHER.

If i saw it for that price, i'd snag it. I don't need a 'dvd' version or whatever else. I like the film, but i'm not gag gag over it.

Was the Laser Disc widescreen?

I've seen TOURIST TRAP for as cheap as $4, but it still seemed like a decent buy snug with those other buys.

I picked up LOST HIGHWAY from a HOLLYWOOD VIDEO a long time ago when they were selling their LDs. Got it for $9.99, no stickers on it either. :glasses:

Shannafey
11-21-2002, 03:26 AM
I have never seen Stepfather, I'm assuming it's a good flick, after reading all these posts?

MISFITZ
11-21-2002, 07:27 PM
I dunno about 'good', but it is very appealing! ahahahah!!

It's not really my type of horror film, but i just remember renting it a long time ago and was VERY pleased with it. Even part 2 isn't too bad.

I personally would never pay more than $11 for the film, but i would like to own it. If you haven't seen it, check it out for sure!

Dave
11-21-2002, 08:03 PM
:lol:

Where does the $11.00 figure come from? Most would say like $5 or $10, but $11 is the magic number for you?

MISFITZ
11-22-2002, 01:01 AM
LMFAO!!!

I dunno!!! ahahahahah!!!

Now that you pointed it out to me Dave, i'm gonna be more conscience about it!!! :lol: :lol: ;)