PDA

View Full Version : Eko Eko Azarak (Wizard of Darkness)

mcchrist
11-18-2002, 08:51 PM
OK, now that we got The Ring out of our system (it seems ) for now, what I want to know is if Eko Eko Azarak is on DVD in some form or another (I don't care for part 3)... I know I've seen the TV series listed on DVD before, but I can't find anything regarding the films. Anyone? This is my favorite Japanese horror, I just saw Ringu the other night and it can't hold a candle to this (sorry)

Bods
11-19-2002, 04:41 AM
It sucks that I have to inform you that only the inferior parts III & IV and as you say the TV series are out on DVD.

The film series goes as follows...

Eko Eko Azarak: Wizard Of Darkness
Eko Eko Azarak: Birth of A Wizard
Eko Eko Azarak: Misa The Dark Angel (out in R1 & R2 JPN)
Eko Eko Azarak (R2 JPN)

Very silly move calling the latest entry just "EEA" imo. I love the first two films, both directed by Shimako Sato (also directed the Julian Sands flick Tale Of A Vampire) and starring Kimika Yoshino as Misa.

Since they released the third one, a number of people quizzed Media Blasters about the possibility of releasing parts 1&2, and now the generally accepted reason why they haven't is that they cost too much license.

I hold out hope for Japanese DVDs WOD & BOAW one day.

mcchrist
11-19-2002, 05:16 AM
I didn't even know about part IV, I dunno about that.

Gnaghi
12-11-2002, 02:31 AM
well we almost had 1&2, but media blasters came in at the end with a bigger offer :fire: :)(we were so close). oh well. the movies still rock. the reason they weren't picked up before was due to them being held up in court for music rights.

Bods
12-11-2002, 04:07 AM
So Media Blasters *do* have them now? Ah, that both rocks and sucks. Would love to own these on DVD, but MB tend to treat their live-action Japanese titles like crap...

Gnaghi
12-11-2002, 05:23 AM
well not do, but almost... unless someone bids above them.

mcchrist
12-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Well, as long as somebody releases them, they'll get my money. Sorry you couldn't snag em Gnaghi

Blade
08-23-2003, 12:00 AM
I have seen Eko Eko Azarak on DVD-R, and I'm still deciding if I'm gonna buy it or not. The movie sounds very promising to me.

Deaddevilman
08-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Gnaghi I've been doing business in Japan since 1987. If you guys ever need a couple of tips or something, let me know. The Japanese are not always in it for the larger bid, a long term relationship is more important to them. Do you guys deal with them face to face or over the telephone? They view someone coming to Japan and speaking with them much more important then a phone call or email. Most deals are hashed out at the local bar. Even something as simple as asking their opinion on what image they would like on the cover, not that you have to use it, but just so they feel they're part of the process.

Gnaghi
08-25-2003, 02:06 AM
we have a connection that lives there.

Blade
09-03-2003, 01:43 AM
Yes! I just read that Wizard of Darkness will be released on dvd by Media Blasters on November 18! I can't wait, I am really exited!

mcchrist
09-03-2003, 05:48 AM
Oh fuck me!!!!!! I'll be all over that shit!!!

razorbackattack
10-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Blade
Yes! I just read that Wizard of Darkness will be released on dvd by Media Blasters on November 18! I can't wait, I am really exited!

Cool, where did you read that news from? Anymore info about this release out there?

Blade
10-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I read that news on some dvd website, but it's too long ago so I don't know which one.

Blade
12-06-2003, 11:37 PM
So does anybody have this dvd yet? I just ordered mine, so I'm very anxious.

Deaddevilman
12-07-2003, 12:04 AM
The movie is okay, but not the best in the series.

Wermode
12-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Just an update for those who are interested. MondoDigital has Wizard of Darkness scheduled for a 12/16 release.

Blade
12-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Just an update for those who are interested. MondoDigital has Wizard of Darkness scheduled for a 12/16 release.

Do you know how their DVD is different from the Media Blasters release?

Blade
12-07-2003, 01:51 PM
The movie is okay, but not the best in the series.

Which one do you think is best?

mcchrist
12-08-2003, 01:01 AM
I haven't seen Part 4 or the TV series, but out of the first three movies only the first one was really any good, not just good: spectacular! When Lucifer shows up, oh yes!

Deaddevilman
12-08-2003, 01:08 AM
I agree with MC the first is hands down the best. I expected Satan to be a part of all the films but sadly he wasn't.

Hoodoo Operator
12-11-2003, 07:10 PM
I agree with MC the first is hands down the best. I expected Satan to be a part of all the films but sadly he wasn't.

So can someone give a little review of this film for those of us who have no clue what its about?

Thanks

Hoodoo Operator

DefJeff
01-01-2004, 02:22 AM
So can someone give a little review of this film for those of us who have no clue what its about?

Yes, this is exactly what I came into this thread looking for. Could someone please be so kind, I am pretty interested in getting these if they sound good.

mcchrist
01-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Well, it has been a couple of years, but. A mysterious young girl enrolls in a high school, but she's no ordinary girl, she is there for a purpose... She is a witch, and she is there to stop an evil force which has overcome the school. Some students, thirteen to be precise, have to stay at the school after hours to study for an exam. But when the kids try to leave, they find themselves unable to. And soon they are being dispatched in bloody and nasty ways. Pretty soon there aren't too many left alive, and this blood sacrifice prepares the way for Satan.

I'm sorry if that synopsis is a bit crude, but it has been a while. There are some pretty creepy things which lend to the atmosphere. Such as when one of the students try to leave the building, they think they are walking through the exit but find themselves right back where they were. The kills are great, such as a beheading that is an eyebrow raiser. And the special effects at the end are awe-inspiring.

People in black robes, teacher-student lesbian action, bloody gore and evil forces bent on world destruction.

Damn I need that DVD.

Ravenheart
04-11-2004, 12:42 AM
I have the reg.1 copies of 1-3 and a reg.0 copy of 4.I'm really hoping that they'll release the series onto DVD sometime.I have the whole series on VHS but most of the copies I have,the episodes have no subtitles.I just love the opening theme music for the TV shows,especially Eko Eko Azarak:The Second.