PDA

View Full Version : The Phone ( new korean horror movie )

mcbg1
11-25-2002, 01:53 AM
Has anyone seen this new movie from Korea ? It seems interesting but would like to hear some reviews before ordering it.

Thanks

Justin Kerswell
11-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Where did you see it for sale, if you don't mind me asking? I think I heard it was by the director of NIGHTMARE (aka HORROR GAME MOVIE), which I liked enough to check out his future work.

mcbg1
11-25-2002, 02:38 PM
I saw it for sale here :

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/14199.html

If its from the same director of Nightmare ( Horror Game Movie ), Im in, I loved this movie :) I even ordered the 3 disk special edition earlier this year.

shift
02-20-2003, 03:03 PM
The Phone (2002)

So has anyone seen this? How was it??

Thanks

Jaffe
02-20-2003, 06:33 PM
I've heard only good things. Here's a review for the movie, if you haven't read this one yet.

http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/horror/phone/phone.html

I'm interested in getting it as well. And if it weren't for the price, I'd have it by now. ;)

Jaffe

boblinds
02-20-2003, 08:43 PM
Just watched it the other night. Not particularly memorable, but a decent movie. At its worst, it plays a little like a medley of modern Japanese horror movie cliches -- there's a phone and a curse and a mysterious puzzle yada yada yada.

Certainly worth a viewing.

mcchrist
02-20-2003, 10:11 PM
At its worst, it plays a little like a medley of modern Japanese horror movie cliches -- there's a phone and a curse and a mysterious puzzle yada yada yada.

Depends on your point of view hear, I'm already tired of that kind of shit. I doubt I could sit through it.

DeathDealer
02-20-2003, 11:27 PM
I have seen this and this is just one of the best asian movies out there. Buy it quickly and fast. I got mine from Ebay.

dvdasia62
02-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Excellent film! I've never seen a better, more convincing and scarier child actress then that little girl! :)

mcchrist
02-21-2003, 01:49 AM
Here we go, more children in horror movies. Good or no, I'm tired of it.

shift
02-21-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by mcbg1
I saw it for sale here :

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/14199.html

If its from the same director of Nightmare ( Horror Game Movie ), Im in, I loved this movie :) I even ordered the 3 disk special edition earlier this year.

Thanks for this link. Looks like a good horror/creepy flick. Cost it about 16.00 not bad,,, but have to ship from Honk Kong.

DeathDealer
02-21-2003, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist

Are you talking to me.

mcchrist
02-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Are you talking to me.

Um... Wha???

The Chaostar
02-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist

I understand where you're coming from but as long as something manages to scare the shit out of me, I'll never get tired. And remember, you CONFESSED that you are tired of... THE EVIL DEAD. Something must be wrong with you man! :p :p :p

mcchrist
02-21-2003, 04:24 PM
It seems a rare thing anymore when a new horror film comes along that I actually like. I dunno man, but all the old cliches have been replaced by new ones adn the films are no longer targeted at my audience as we've grown up, so they've targeted a young audience again (a generation of whcih I wish to have nothing in common)... A movie like The Phone might be refreshing and all, I just don't feel like putting out the effort.

As for Evil Dead, you can get too much of a good thing. In the latter years of high school and the early years of college, I played those movies to death. Until one day it wasn't fun anymore.

The Chaostar
02-21-2003, 10:18 PM
mcchrist you sound really old:p .
I am joking but I understand what you say. However, old films that may have targeted a younger audience back then could have something different (but not less interesting) to say to an older audience today. There is always something for everyone in a good film.
Renoir once said that bad movies are the movies where everyone understands the same thing.

boblinds
02-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Mcchrist, despite my mixed attitude toward The Phone, I think you might want to rent it JUST TO SEE the little girl in this one. She really is somewhat disturbing -- more so than the typical kid in Asian horror films. It's a renter, though, not a buyer.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the IMDB reviews for this film. A couple people get seriously torked out over the little girl's role in the film. Any child part that offends MOR lame-oids so severely does have some unredeeming social value.

You raise a point, however, that troubles the hell out of me, too. I honestly can't imagine what anyone could put on screen these days that would be scary. (And I'm not making some boring political statement here about the state of the world.) Like you, I feel like I've pretty much seen it all. You might be able to turn my stomach with gore effects; but I can't imagine what a filmaker could do that would really disturb me or even just intrigue me from a horror standpoint.

mcchrist
02-22-2003, 09:40 AM
more so than the typical kid in Asian horror films

I'm not just talking about Asian horror films, these young'n's are turning up in ALL horror films it seems. Its pretty damn boring if you ask me.

mafianinja
02-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Maybe we are too old or jaded or whatever you want to call it, but I can't get "into" much anymore. Not just movies either...same goes for music. It's all been done.

KillerCannabis
04-08-2003, 09:31 AM
I dont give a fuck how typical some people think these films are getting. I'm in love with all things Asian cinema right now and anything that gets some good word of mouth is enough for me to pick it up on disc.

marcx
06-26-2003, 02:52 PM
I watched Phone last night. While its true that it is derivative of other films (the Ring influence is there) its still really enjoyable. The plot takes enough left turns to keep you guessing, there are a few goood chills mixed with a couple of overly-forced jumps. Overall I enjoyed. It seems like even the second tier Asian films are miles ahead of most Us genre fare. Ill take a Phone over a They or a Hallowwen ressureection anyday!