PDA

View Full Version : Laser Disc Buys

MISFITZ
11-27-2002, 06:30 PM
Just picked up Elite's "THE DEVIL RIDES OUT" from their HAMMER COLLECTION. These disc include everything the DVD has, and if i've heard correctly, are actually better quality than the DVDs. I have never done a comparison though.

Either way, this puppy was on EBAY for $6.20!!!!

HELLO?!?!?!:eek1:

Needless to say, I'm giving it the home it deserves! Had to pay $4 for shipping, but it's still a damn good price.

I also bid but lost on Cannibal Ferox AGAIN!!! :cry:
My high bid was $16 i think, and it went for $22. I want that LD. Mainly for that LP that comes with it and the vomit bag. bwahahaha!!!

Also bought on EBay MASQUE OF RED DEATH/PREMATURE BURIAL from the AIP collection. It's a double feature Laser Disc, and with shipping, i snagged it for $15. Not bad for 2 films.

Here's some stuff on EBAY I don't plan to bid on, ;) :p i have a lot of these already but some of you laser disc owners may glance at and find something you want....

(prices reflect todays date of 11/27 at 11:13 am central)

VAMPIRELLA $3.99

Horror Lot consisting of:Dr. Giggles, The Amityville Horror, Poltergeist II the Other Side, The Island of Dr. Moreau, South of Reno, Dead Calm, The Thing, Poltergiest, Candyman, Seven, Mortal Thoughts, Mimic, Hailraiser, The Silence of the Lambs, Dead Again, Dracula ... currently $0.95 cents!!!!!!!!!

THE RELIC $3.99

Elite Laser Disc
:fire: (with shipping of $8 each though!?!?!) :fuck:

Double Feature of Mario Bava's
Baron Blood & Lisa and the Devil for..... $9.99

The Reptile.... $9.99
The Mummy's Shroud.... $9.99
The Witches......$9.99
Prom Night..........$9.99

Paff
11-27-2002, 09:18 PM
Yeah, a lot of Elite discs go for good prices on E-bay, but lately people are friggin GOUGING on shipping. So much so that I only bid on the discs I really want.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that Masque o the Red Death/Premature Burial disc pan and scan??
I remember seeing it in a store once, but putting it down when I found it wasn't widescreen. Premature Burial comes widescreen packaged with Tales of Terror, and Masque o the Red Death comes widescreen when paired with The Raven. At least, I think...

That package looks pretty good. I have almost all of those lasers already though. Candyman and Mimic stand out as being EXCELLENT sounding LDs. I just watched Candyman recently, and the bass on that disc rocks. Unfortunately it's pan-and-scan, but I can't imagine the DVD sounding that deep. That's why I'm sticking with the LD for that movie.

jscott
11-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Paff
people are friggin GOUGING on shipping.

The same thing happens to me almost every time I buy on Ebay. But what gets me is when I'm charged $6-8 for shipping on one laserdisc, but then I get the LD and it's in an old pizza box that's been folded up, and the postage method used is media rate (somewhere between $1.50-1.75). WTF?!? The last 2 LD's I've bought, I paid more for shipping than the discs! Ebay sellers please, STOP TAXING BUYERS ON SHIPPING!!!

Dave
11-28-2002, 03:15 AM
Well, being someone who buys a lot of computer part (for work and even myself on occasion), I can say the same thing happens with many online stores. So much so that some stores advertise - "We make no money on shipping" - as if that's something special now.

But hey, if they charge a lot for shipping, don't buy from them. That's all you can do. Also keep in mind that if they do ship priority mail, priority rates have really jumped lately. They zone out the whole country now instead of having just flat rates anywhere in the U.S. That really sucks.

mcchrist
11-28-2002, 09:49 AM
But what gets me is when I'm charged $6-8 for shipping on one laserdisc, but then I get the LD and it's in an old pizza box that's been folded up, and the postage method used is media rate (somewhere between $1.50-1.75). WTF?!?

hey, how much do you think pizza costs anyway? :lol: Just picking, anyway I hate it when sellers do this. Also, fuck the post office as well, I just recently started selling on ebay and shipping costs can be a bitch, especially when you have to custom ship some items. Its a goddamn monopoly, its almost cheaper to ship UPS or FedEx in some cases. The USPS can raise the rates on stamps and the like knowing that we don't have much of an alternative, this fucking has to stop!

Dave
11-28-2002, 03:31 PM
Just ship everything media mail. That is what I do whenever selling something on ebay. When I sell DVDs I usually charge $2.00 for shipping and $1.00 for optional insurance. Buy yourself a big ass role of tape and you're all set for a while. I'm lucky because we get all sorts of boxes of every size in at my job. They are normally thrown away, so I can take whatever I want for ebay. For everyone else, just go around to local stores and ask if they have extra boxes. More than likely you will find someone, thereby saving money on supplies and recycling as well! :D

Laser boxes are a big more difficult. I usually just save the ones that I get whenever I buy some online. I'll use those for future sales, though I don't sell them very often.

MISFITZ
11-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Lasers are sorta weird in shipping. I think $8 is too much. Espcially when i keep buying them off Ebay and no one else needs to charge that much. It's bad when shipping is more than the entire item. But i will buy INSURANCE on LDs. Mainly because i don't trust everyone who ships. They are more likely to break than shipping a DVD. BUt $8 is more than I wanna pay. As mentioned in other threads, i can WAIT, if it will save on shipping. That's why I order so much from DEEPDISCOUNTDVD.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that Masque o the Red Death/Premature Burial disc pan and scan??

The description on the EBAY auction lists the films as presented in WIDESCREEN. I can't tell much from the paCKAGE, though the top right hand corner looks like it says "LASER WIDESCREEN".

SHould get it anyday now, but the description said widescreen, sooo.... i'll just cross my fingers. I hate sending stuff back, and i don't want this LD if it's PAN and SCAN. :mad:

http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_c65f3e33e6b3570da659cb13f740c94e/i-1.JPG

INteresting comment on CANDYMAN, Paff. I have the DVD and in the scene of the film where CANDYMAN is calling Helen's name in the parking garage, i felt the 'deep' and mesmorizing voice of CANDYMAN sounded weaker than i remember. I blamed it on the fact I bought the DVD for $7 and it was a 'cheap' transfer. But at least its in widescreen. Still, i thought in the theater, that was one of the more 'creepier' momments.

MISFITZ
11-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Actually, it could also say "LASER VIDEODISC" in the top right hand corner... i dunno. Now you got me worried that this idiot wrote some 'mistaken' description. :eek1: :eek2: :nervous:

Paff
12-01-2002, 01:03 AM
It definitely says "Laser Videodisc" in the upper right. And I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a pan-and-scan disc too unfortunately.

I've never heard (or seen) the Candyman DVD. I made a brief search for some reviews but couldn't find any. Is it Dolby 2.0?
Believe me, that scene in the parking garage on the laserdisc will REALLY test the bass in your system. Widescreen would be nice of course, but I think the sound of that movie is important too, it would suck if the DVD can't re-create it very well.
On the bright side, I bet you won't pay more than $10 for the Laser on E-Bay. (plus another $8 for shipping...hahahaha)

Dave
12-01-2002, 02:14 AM
I'm fairly certain that all those lasers with the old style artwork (i.e. poster inside of the disc) indicate a disc from the 80s. I'm also fairly certain that all those lasers from the 80s are P&S. I could be mistaken on that. But out of all of the 80s laserdiscs I've purchased with that older artwork, all have been P&S.

MISFITZ
12-02-2002, 04:18 PM
TO be honest, when I saw the cover, i felt the same way, i thought i'd be a cheap LD in terms of quality.

But, the 'seller' has it written that its widescreen.

Link to Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1584155028)

I'll keep you posted. Damn! He can always send me back 1/2 the complete price and i'll be fine with that, if these are in fact PAN and SCAN.

Paff
12-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Well, I just took a hit for $7.50 shipping. BUT, it was for a copy of In The Mouth of Madness DTS Laser. The auction price was $12.50, so even for $20 total it's still a good deal.

MISFITZ
12-04-2002, 02:12 AM
Well, it was mislabeled!!!!!!!1 :fire: :fuck: :fire: :fuck: :cry:

Got the LD in the mail today. I gotta say this guy was good to deal with, shipped fast, left me good feedback, and the packaging was cheap in price but very well done.

But it doesn't cover up the fact that he sold me something that he labeled widescreen and it's not widescreen.

I told him if he refunded half of the total cost ($14), i'd be fine with it. Hopefully, i'll hear back form him soon. If not, i guess i'll just leave 'negative' feedback, cuz i still want these films!

But, you ghouls were right. The movies are not widescreen. They are not really pan and scan either, more like they are just 'magnified' a tad to cover the screen. Cuz it doesn't look distorted or 'moving'.

damn....... :fire: :fuck:

MISFITZ
12-04-2002, 07:34 PM
shit!

Dude doesn't want to do a 1/2 refund, he wants to do a FULL refund. I understand he wants to try and resell it and make both of us happy, but there is no way i'm going to box this up and ship it. I'm too busy and too lazy.

I'll take the hit. He was a cool seller though, and admitted to his mistake and was willing to do a full refund.

Sucks to know $14 (with shipping) went to these films, and i could have found this version on VHS for about 1/2 that price.

But at the same time, i have been wanting these films, just not this particular version. It's not a complete waste, but screw it.

Ya know, i jinxed myself by starting up a thread here and 'bragging' about my buys. Watch DEVIL RIDES OUT come to my house smashed!!! ahahahaha! :cry:

It's the 'braggin' jinx of horrordvds! ahahah! :lol:

Paff
12-04-2002, 08:17 PM
Actually 'fitz, for some reading that may have saved you a couple of bucks, read this thread:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8132

MISFITZ
12-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Damn!!

Maybe i just didn't pay attention, but i didn't know they were going to be a part of the Midnight Movies from MGM!!

Now i really feel like a jackass! No wonder this dude was unloading this LD, he picked up the better DVD version of it!!!

:cry:

At first I shurgged my shoulders and was happy just to have the films. But knowing a better and CHEAPER version was around the corner, I hafta say ... SHAME ON ME!!!

I guess that means i'll have a LD copy of these films in case one day... awwww. who the hell am i kidding, i just got PUNKED!!! :rolleyes:

Like i said, i just jinxed myself. Knowing the Midnight DVD is out, is sooooooooo like putting salt on this wound! :cry:

Paff
12-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Well man, you got jobbed, no way around that.

BUT, don't let that sour you on Price/Corman/Poe LDs.
I know of three sets:
Fall of the House of Usher/Pit and the Pendulum
Premature Burial/Tales of Terror
The Raven/Masque of the Red Death

These are all re-mastered widescreen, and look and sound REALLY nice. Plus, they come in great looking gatefold jackets, if you like LD cover art.

Dave
12-05-2002, 09:13 PM
The guy falsely advertised. Demand a full refund or take the matter up with ebay.

MISFITZ
12-05-2002, 09:37 PM
The dude OFFERED a full refund. I just don't wanna give it back. It's more of a hassle for me to pack this thing up and ship it. Esp when you see the post office lines and the way those people are. I'm just too busy and too lazy. ;) :p Sad but true. Plus it was only $14, no biggie.

Dave
12-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Plus it was only $14, no biggie.

If you lived in Afghanistan that would be your yearly salary!!!