PDA

View Full Version : kakashi

dwatts
12-01-2002, 12:35 PM
My latest Asian film was “Kakashi”. I bought this one for $15. it is put out by Universe (www.u333.com) is widescreen and has a trailer as an extra.
This film is not in the same league as the “classics” of the Asian theater (audition, freezer etc) but it stands up against US efforts to make the same type of thing. Actually, this comes across more like a TV episode of some mystery show. We have a missing brother, a sister who is searching for him, and a strange. Possessed village – will she find her bother? Will they save his lover? What is going on I the village?

Unlike some Asian films that had me engrossed at several levels (great film making, cultural differences etc) this one runs pretty straight. We have some strange architecture, but nothing much beyond that. It takes place in a single location (the village) so there is not much variation in the location. And there are no city scenes. So it feels like a smaller film.

All in all – Steven King must have thought about writing something like this. This is not a “Gosh, this is brilliant!” movie experience, but it was entertaining, and I am glad I have it in my collection. If you are just getting into Asian horror, then this should probably be a little way down your list. But at some time, pick it up for a good 90 minutes entertainment.

Ps: The transfer was only “quite good” – artifacts exist, blacks are a bit washed out.

dvdasia62
12-01-2002, 03:45 PM
This is one of my favorites. Very creepy atmosphere and a well done little film. The 5.1 mix is one of the loudest and most profound I have ever heard and lends quite a jolt to the proceedings. :)

Fart Lighter
12-01-2002, 06:59 PM
i recommend SHIKOKU too, available on VCD from www.coolashop.com , from where you could have got KAKASHI a lot cheaper.

dwatts
12-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Does that store offer non-pirate copies - and do they ship to europe okay?

Evil Disco Guy
12-01-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by dwatts
Does that store offer non-pirate copies - and do they ship to europe okay?
Coolahop don't sell bootlegs and ship fine to the UK, however from past experiences they are nowhere near as good as DDDHouse. Speaking of which, after reading that review I might pick up Kakashi as it's only HK$40.00 (about $5/£4).

Justin Kerswell
12-02-2002, 01:51 AM
Just to be Devil's Advocate, I thought KAKASHI was *very* dull, indeed - and this is coming from someone who appreciated the distinctly laid back feel of films like RING, KAIRO or DARK WATER (not to mention 'slow' horror films in general, like,say, Roman Polanski's THE TENANT or REPULSION (which I love)). This just didn't do it for me at all; and I especially hated the stupid ending in the tunnel! Who would have thought a living scarecrow movie could quite so tiresome?

dvdasia62
12-02-2002, 03:27 AM
I actually liked it better then Nakata's "Ring", a film I personally find extremely overrated. Now "Dark Water", there is a wonderful film! :)

BloodMan
12-02-2002, 07:34 AM
I haven't seen Kakashi yet. I might order this next week or whenever. It sounds interesting. Something to add to my already growing list of Asian Horror titles.

cheers!!!

Nick

dlundh
12-08-2002, 02:30 PM
I thought kakashi was creepy in places but the movies ending didn't work very well for me. But take away the ending and it's a fun ride.