PDA

View Full Version : Black Christmas: Special Edition

ScaryMovieFreak
12-04-2002, 02:36 AM
Was anyone able to find the new DVD release of Black Christmas? I went to Best Buy and a few other stores, but I had no luck finding it. Did anyone find it?

Cujo108
12-04-2002, 03:53 AM
I found it in my mailbox from DVD Planet. :) I'm actually surprised it arrived on its release date, seeing how they usually come before or after. Oh yeah, this SE fucking rules! I've already watched half of the extras.

horrorboy101
12-04-2002, 04:06 AM
How's the tour of the sorority house?

ScaryMovieFreak
12-04-2002, 05:17 AM
So DVD Planet is pretty quick with their shipping? I may have to order it from there then.

marioscido
12-04-2002, 06:49 AM
I bought the SE a week ago in Toronto. Watched it, loved it, but was very disappointed in the last shot. Those of you who have seen the proper full screen edition will know what I mean.

It looks good, but it shouldn't be cropped at 1.66:1. I don't want to belabor this again, but Critical Mass has released this in 1.66:1 simply as a marketing ploy.

However, this is a very unsettling film, with a progressive gender reading that is miles apart from many films from the "slasher" cycle. Don't miss it. I will definitely watch again over X-mas with friends.

KillerCannabis
12-04-2002, 11:50 AM
I too searched a few local stores for it and came up empty handed. Hopefully it gets into stock this week.

kiddvideo
12-04-2002, 11:51 PM
I got it today at HMV for only 22.99 Cnd. Pretty sweet price, and they actually had more than one copy in stock for once.

Eddie Quist
12-05-2002, 09:28 PM
It's on Back Order on all the online sites I go to. I pre-ordered it from Amazon about a month ago, and I'm still waiting....:fire:

WesReviews
12-05-2002, 09:42 PM
I bought the SE a week ago in Toronto. Watched it, loved it, but was very disappointed in the last shot. Those of you who have seen the proper full screen edition will know what I mean.
I agree. As i pointed out in my review over at DVDDrive-In.com, I liked the 1:66:1 cropping through the whole film up until the very last shot. But you can't have everything you want, I suppose.

Those of you who have the disc, what do you think about the poster I supplied Critical Mass with? You can see a better, close-up version of it on your computer as a PDF file.

horrorboy101
12-09-2002, 02:16 AM
I got mine from Tower Records. I love the DVD and that poster is bad ass. Do any of those ever come up on eBay? I'd love to get my hands on one. I really liked the Documentary and the extras were great.

newt
12-10-2002, 05:24 PM
I have not seen this title anywhere retail.:cry: Guess I'll have to order it.

Jack Torrence
01-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by marioscido
Those of you who have seen the proper full screen edition will know what I mean.

Well, I haven't. Could you describe the last shot, please?

rhett
01-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Claire's head in the plastic bag can be seen throughout the lengthy final shot as the camera pulls back in the full frame version. However, due to cropping, the face becomes momentarily matted by the black bars.

I really liked the cropping. Other than the final shot, it was a much more satisfying experience for me, it seemed much more tightly shot and claustrophobic. Mario, I respect your dislike for the widescreen transfer, but I would have to disagree on it being a marketing ploy. Nowhere in their promotional materials, or even the back of the box, is it mentioned that the film is in 1.66:1. I think CM was just trying to put out the film in the best aspect ratio possible. Considering Bob Clark was involved with the DVD only strengthens my opinion that this is the most true ratio for the film's presentation.

Jack Torrence
01-08-2003, 06:52 PM
@rhett: Thanks!

marioscido
01-08-2003, 07:56 PM
The ratio saga continues!

I love the film. No question. I appreciate the new special edition, but I don't really see much difference between the special edition and the 25th anniversary print. The cropping is so minimal that it doesn't make a huge difference - except, as I said, on the last shot (the fact that this very important shot is spoiled because of the cropping tells you something about how the film was shot). I don't see the claustrophobic argument (that I've heard repeated on this site too many times) holding up in this case, because the cropping is negligible. And that's why, in my opinion, they decided to compromise the image. Also, and other reviews have said this as well, it's the same print transfer (except for the cropping) from the 25th edition.

Rhett, you are right about the specs on the back of the box. It surprises me because I was relating what the folks at Critical Mass told me when I e-mailed them (a year ago now) about the film. They revealed to me that they had received many e-mails about the ratio on 25th version and decided to put out a cropped version to satisfy the "horror collectors" who thought they had wrongfully put out a pan and span version. And we all know that with a 'cult' film like "Black Christmas," it's word of mouth (through sites like this one) that will sell the film, not advertising. But it is still strange, for any film, not to include the visual specs on the back of the box.

Anyway, I know that people who love this film will get the SE for all of the extras. It's a great film. Whatever version you own, watch it again...

Paff
01-08-2003, 08:34 PM
I'll have to check out this final scene at home. I have the laserdisc version, which is cropped even further to 1.85:1.

It's the only way I've seen the film, so I'm kinda used to the 1.85:1 version...

rhett
01-09-2003, 01:38 AM
Okay, the last scene is cropped, but in the full frame version there is plenty of dead space in the top portions of the frame that does nothing but waste space. I don't think you or I will ever agree on anything regarding this film's aspect ratio, mario!

WesReviews
01-09-2003, 01:41 AM
I love the DVD and that poster is bad ass. Do any of those ever come up on eBay?
The only time I have ever seen that poster on ebay is when I found it and bid on it over three years ago. I just thought it was a really cool piece of memorabilia from the film. I had no idea that I'd end up putting it on a DVD at any time.

When a friend of mine over at the Friday the 13th message board (Skott) told us that CM was doing the Special Edition and were planning to include rare pieces of poster art, press kits, etc, I knew that I had to get in touch with them to see if that poster was being included. They hadn't even heard of that particular poster, so they wanted to know more about it. I then took pics of it, sent them to CM, and they immediately said that they wanted it for the DVD. They even offered to buy it. But since I'd never seen it on ebay before, and I've yet to see it since, I wasn't about to part with it. Anyway, a couple of months go by and i dont' hear back from CM. I figure they've forgotten about me and my poster and that it probably won't be on the DVD. In one last ditch effort to contact them, I e-mail the pres of Critical Mass completely out of the blue one day. Surprisingly, he replies, telling me that they've been extremely busy and that they'd still love to include the poster on the disc. So, I send it to them in late last fall, got it back a week or so later. The rest is history.

It was a very cool experience getting something of mine placed on a DVD for other Black Christmas fans to enjoy (and I got to talk to my first Canadians on the phone!). I love the poster art and knew that other BC fans would get a kick out of seeing it. It was weird/cool knowing that something I was involved in would end up being a Christmas present for someone or something that someone pre-ordered online (and heck, I'll totally freak if I ever see it on the shelf at Best Buy or Suncoast). I'm just ecstatic that as massive of a Black Christmas fan as I am, that I got to contribute something to THE ultimate DVD edition of the film. That somehow, in whatever itsy bitsy way, I'm part of that film's history now. A very weird, but cool, feeling.

So, that's the story of the little poster that could. hehe. I know some collectors out there contribute a great deal to DVDs and such, but this was pretty much my sole chance to include anything on a DVD. I'm extremely glad that it turned out to be Black Christmas. The greatest slasher that nobody has ever seen. :)

marioscido
01-09-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by rhett
I don't think you or I will ever agree on anything regarding this film's aspect ratio, mario!

It's ok to agree to disagree! However, we both agree that it's a wonderful film. In my opinion, that's more important.

Paff
01-09-2003, 04:26 AM
OK, I checked my widescreen Laserdisc, and during the entire final shot, Claire's head was visible the entire time. The cropping comes down as far as the bottom pane of glass, and no further.

Again, I've never seen this Full-Frame, so I don't know. But the cropping sure doesn't seem to compromise the final shot on the 1.85:1 LD....

rhett
01-10-2003, 08:55 AM
Wow, that's interesting Paff. Makes CM's screw up seem all the more worse.

Paff
01-11-2003, 10:51 AM
This is freakin' weird.

Rhett sent me some screenshots of the final scene (thanks, eh?). Like most of you have already noticed, the 1.66:1 widescreen version crops the top and bottom of the screen, which has an effect on that scene. Now, I compared those shots to my 1.85:1 laserdisc. The laserdisc also loses a small amount of picture on top and bottom, as one can expect. HOWEVER, the amount lost is NOT as much as on the 1.66:1 cropping. Huh? What this means, is that the 1.85:1 Laserdisc shows a slight amount of picture on the sides of the frame that are not available on DVD! This is crazy!
The final scene on that laserdisc is framed absolutely perfectly. Not as much headroom as the full-frame DVD, yet not as cropped as the widescreen DVD.

The really bad news is that this is absolute proof that there is NO definitive aspect ratio transfer of Black Christmas yet. The full-frame editions obviously miss some information on the sides. The widescreen DVD is not a true representation of the film's aspect ratio either, it's an artificial cropping. And before everyone goes to E-Bay for the Laserdisc, even though it may have the most correct aspect ratio available, it's a piss-poor transfer in general.

This is so crazy...it needs....a banana

:banana:

rhett
01-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Wow Paff that is really wierd. I don't think BC will ever have a proper aspect ratio. :(

marioscido
01-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Paff
The really bad news is that this is absolute proof that there is NO definitive aspect ratio transfer of Black Christmas yet. The full-frame editions obviously miss some information on the sides. The widescreen DVD is not a true representation of the film's aspect ratio either, it's an artificial cropping.

You are right, there is a proper aspect ratio - all films have a proper aspect ratio!! But CM have fucked it up royally. I defended the 1.33:1 ratio for 2 reasons: 1- the 25th version claimed that it was the proper ratio and 2- the folks at CM kept on saying that the 1.85:1 was cutting heads off... For one thing, 1.66:1 is a European ratio and films are not usually presented in that format on this side of the ocean. As I said many times, it has nothing to do with the film's original ratio. Why do it? To satisfy the "if it's not in widescreen it's no good" crowd.

The digital transfer to 1.85:1 involves a process whereby the image is slightly modified. It's usually not a straight cropping of the image. It sounds to me like the folks who worked on the laserdisc have captured the proper ratio, that is, the format in which it was shot and presented theatrically.

I don't understand why you think it is an artificial cropping? Do you feel like the cropping is much too tight? I'm curious about what it looks like. Thanks for helping with this problem Paff.

marcx
09-10-2003, 03:40 PM
I just saw this film for the first time last night and I loved it!!! However, I made a mistake when I placed the order-I thought the 25th anniv. edition was the SE. Now when I watched the fullscreen version I was thinking about the cropping and honestly I saw little to no dead spavce in the fullscreen transfer. I cant imagine what it must look like cropped.

Also, aside from the cropping, how does the actula transfer compare? And what about special features-am I missing anything there? I loved the film so Im wondering if Ill have to upgrade one day.

By the way I couldn't stop laughing eveytime the lead girl answered the phone "hellouuuu" in her accent...silly I know..but it bacame a running joke for me and my friend..until the film turned deadly tense....

WhiteTrash2000
09-12-2003, 03:30 AM
It's in widescreen (I only found the final shot to look bad by it), commentary, trailers, tv spots, documentaries. I'd upgrade. ;)

rhett
09-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Marcx, I did a comparison review of the two discs here:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/bc-se/

I'd recommend the upgrade, if only for the supplements alone. There is some really great stuff packed in that disc.

As for the transfer, I think it is better cropped, although the last shot does suffer slightly. Still, I think the cropped frame adds to the claustrophobic intensity of the film. Removes the irritating boom mic too.

betterdan
09-12-2003, 05:30 AM
Dammit we need an anamorphic release of this.

marcx
09-12-2003, 03:29 PM
hmmm-thanks for pointing that out Rhett. I read the comparsions and I may want to upgrade one day just for the commentaries and features. However I never noticed any boom mikes on the fullscreen, but that may be because I was so engrossed in the story. However if the matting is cutting off info on the last shot, than doesn't that mean it can't be correct?

rhett
09-12-2003, 06:44 PM
It is a touchy subject, to be sure. One version has a boom mic, the other cuts off the last scene. So I guess neither are "correct", but of the two I preferred the matted one.

marcx
09-12-2003, 06:53 PM
hmmm--has there ever been any comment fro anyone directly involved in making the film?