PDA

View Full Version : Horror Of Dracula

Andrew
12-05-2002, 05:37 AM
Got this one in the mail today. Unfortunately, one of the little parts of the push-circle in the middle broke off and it seems to have put a big scratch in the disc :(. Hopefully it'll still work though.

Anyone have any thoughts on the film or disc?

dwatts
12-05-2002, 08:45 AM
Is this the one with Prowse as the monster? If so - it's just "okay". MY problems with it are two fold. First, it's just a retred of the Cushing, Lee script. I bought both movies at the same time, so was a bit disapointed to find they were pretty much the same. Second, the "16 year old" housekeeper is clearly 30. Third, Prowse does an AWFUL job as the monster. He was a body builder back in those days, and boy, he looks bad (fx horrid) and even thoguh the monster does not requeir great acting chops - he does not even reach a level to pull this off. Still, the rest of the cast are okay - the sets arn't bad - and, well, it's a hammer.

JW77
12-05-2002, 11:55 AM
I think dwatts is thinking of "Horror of Frankenstein," one of the later Hammer Frankenstein films, and the only one that didn't star Peter Cushing.

"Horror of Dracula" is one Hammer's greatest films. Cushing, Lee, Fisher - doesn't get much better than that.

The DVD is sort of a mixed bag, though. It's short on special features, and there's quite a controversy over the aspect ration. Warner released the DVD at 1.78:1, when the general consensus of the Hammerati is that it should've been 1.66:1. The resulting tighter aspect ratio means a tad less room at the top and bottom of the image than should've been there. Most reports I've heard indicate that the headroom is a little too tight.

But for now, it's probably as good as we're going to get, since I doubt Warner will be in any hurry to revisit the title. Other than the above mentioned minor gripes, it seems to be a good disc.

KillerCannabis
12-05-2002, 12:45 PM
I wouldnt expect Warner to EVER revisit this title, especially since it just came out. I bought this disc and while I havent had the chance to watch it yet, I've only heard excellent things about this film. I'm a big fan of Lee, so this seems like a logical flick to throw in. I'll post my thoughts after a good viewing.

Hammerfan
12-05-2002, 07:08 PM
I didn't have a problem with the aspect ratio presented on this DVD. To me it was as thrilling a film as ever. I didn't think it looked "tight" as many reports have mentioned. It is the "cream of the crop" of Hammer. Christopher Lee plays Dracula with equal parts sophistication and menace. Its a treat any time of the year to watch.

dwatts
12-05-2002, 10:03 PM
Yup - I'm such a dope!!!!

mcchrist
12-06-2002, 09:52 AM
Horror of Dracula is the finest film Hammer ever had to offer. The news of a DVD release was some of the most satisfying I've heard.

marioscido
12-06-2002, 09:02 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. What a great ending too! I'm very happy with the "cheap" WB edition. (Except the pix on the back of actress Stephanie Beacham is from the 1972 film "Dracula A.D"). No big deal however.

"Curse of Frankenstein" should also be picked up.

Andrew
12-07-2002, 06:32 PM
Yep.

I haven't finished it yet, I keep getting to the 20 minute mark and falling asleep. I'll probably get to it by the end of the weekend though. But yeah, is Cushing Harker? Because it doesn't look like Cushing, but rather a wannabe who almost looks like him but still doesn't. Or maybe he's just a lot younger than he was in every other film I've seen him in? I dunno, it just doens't look like him to me.

I do plan on getting CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Probably in around two weeks. I got HORROR OF DRACULA and Andy Warhol's BLOOD FOR DRACULA this time, and next time it'll be CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN :).

Paff
12-08-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
But yeah, is Cushing Harker?

C'mon man....don't you know that Peter Cushing is synonymous with Van Helsing??

Seriously though, Horror o Dracula is one of the all time bests. It sort of follows the Stoker story. Actually, it's my favorite adaptation of it. Tod Browning's Dracula is a little too "stagy" (well, it is a stage adaptation to begin with), and Coppola's version was a little too grandiose. Horror of Dracula may be the most "cinematic" adaptation of the story. Don't get me wrong, I love all the versions I mentioned (as well as both Murnau and Herzog's Nosferatu films), but Horror is my favorite.

And Blood for Dracula is a classic too. I watch that one every couple of months or so. It's hilarious. Be sure to listen to the commentary on that disc too, it's informative and fun.

Andrew
12-08-2002, 06:52 AM
Dammit I knew it. Tell me that guy doesn't look like a Cushing wannabe though.

BFD rocked. The ending is insane. I'm definitely gonna check out the commentary soon.

mcchrist
12-08-2002, 07:32 AM
Blood for Dracula is one of my all time favorites, Udo cracks me up. I agree with the comment that Horror of Dracula is the best cinematic adaptation, its just a damn fine flick overall!