PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw The Ring

dwatts
12-07-2002, 01:28 AM
Well guys Ė I just watched The Ring for the first time. Tartan release from the UK.

GULP - I give this one a 4 out of ten. My wife reckons itís a seven. Like Battle royale, I really do not see the big deal over this film. Stupid premise, lame middle section, a dumb wrap up where the whole thing is a chain letter Ė wacky plot about volcanos, the sea and psychics. This just didnít work for me at all. The cinematography was flat, boring. The music was yuck.

There is a scene at the end (those that have seen it will know what it is) that is very good indeed. But I waited an hour and fifteen minutes for that sequence. The rest was barely worth my time.

Oh well Ė freezer and Audition are brilliant. This one is actually one of the worse Asian horror films Iíve watched!

BloodMan
12-07-2002, 01:46 AM
It's better than the remake though... IMO

Nick

dwatts
12-07-2002, 02:02 AM
Well - I'm avoiding the remake for sure! This one gets added to my "over hyped with no delivery" category. Other than that one scene, anyway.

dvdasia62
12-07-2002, 05:49 AM
I couldn't agree more. I have a better appreciation for the films subtle approach and building of atmosphere but I just cannot see why this film is so revered. I know I'm in the minority on that, but there are so many Asian films I've seen that I thought were better. For the record, I enjoyed the remake much, much more.

mcchrist
12-07-2002, 09:43 AM
I know I'm in the minority on that, but there are so many Asian films I've seen that I thought were better. For the record, I enjoyed the remake much, much more.

That's precisely how I feel. I ADORE the remake while the original was a bit "ho-hum" :o . That seems to be the trend for asian cinema as a whole, I hear such rave reviews and a film gets hyped up by the fans, but in the end I could care less. Audition for example, what a let down. I thought it was supposed to be a masterpiece! Instead it just turned out to be more run-of-the-mill shock.

dwatts
12-07-2002, 10:52 AM
Freezer and Audition are indeed classics IMHO. The Ring not.

Atmims
12-07-2002, 09:06 PM
The Japanese Ring worked for me. It honestly creeped me out. Then again I saw it not expecting anything, I didn't know anything about the movie at all.
Audition though was pretty boring, I was hyped to see it though. It seems to me that every new asian movie that comes out is suppose to be "Amazing" or something. Versus was horrible, Battle Royale was good at first but got corny at the end. From now on when I'm interested in seeing a movie I'm not gonna read any reviews or comments on it at all!
Adrian

dwatts
12-08-2002, 11:46 AM
That is SO true. I have felt the same thing. every Asian film seems to get super-hyped. Yet I've only seen two great ones. others are "okay" - and they are definately better than the hollywood fair - but it's a shame everything has to be "The greatest!"

Rewatched Audition last night. God, I love that movie.

mcchrist
12-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Yeah, hype about asian cinema is insane! I have yet to see an asian horror film that has outdone Eko Eko Azarak 1, that just does it for me.

KillerCannabis
12-11-2002, 09:54 PM
I loved the original Ring and I really enjoyed the remake. Asian cinema is whats been flooding my player lately. I'd take The Ring over just about anything we've released here in the states in the last year or even two.