PDA

View Full Version : There Was a Little Girl AKA Madhouse - 1981

STREET TRASH
12-25-2002, 06:27 AM
This was a rather cool, relatively unknown slasher flick. It was made by an Italian crew and shot in Georgia with an all-American cast (no horrendously cheap dubbing here!). A woman, who teaches for the deaf and dumb, anxiously awaits her birthday but when strange things start to happen (like her favorite student getting mauled by a dog), she is, naturally, a bit on edge. When she receives news that her deformed; highly deranged twin sister has just broken out of the nearby mental hospital, well, it doesn't exactly calm her nerves. Vicious dog attacks; some scares; a few twists; and an ending which seems a bit too reminiscent of HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME - although both were released in '81, so it could all just be coincidence. I would highly recommend it to serious slasher aficionados. Not the greatest thing and a bit rough around the edges - I liked it nonetheless.

Also- Anyone know if the US. Media Home Entertainment tape is cut in any way? Although there was some pretty graphic bloodshed - it seemed that there could've, or should've been more (or is it just a case of wishful thinking?)

Has ANYONE else seen the flick, by the way?

betterdan
12-25-2002, 09:24 AM
Haven't seen it but it sounds pretty good. Gotta look for this one.

Hellbilly
12-25-2002, 11:25 AM
I did watch the Media tape many many years ago, once.
I think I wasn't too fond of this flick, can't really remember though.

onebyone
12-25-2002, 12:21 PM
I saw it awhile ago, I thought it was pretty good but a little slow. I can be sort of "where's the body count?" sometimes I admit.

speanroc
12-25-2002, 04:38 PM
what title does the media tape dislay , i know this one in the u.k.

was known as "madhouse" and was one of the offical video nasties.

STREET TRASH
12-26-2002, 03:01 AM
speanroc - both the box and on-screen video title are "Madhouse."

onebyone - yeah, at times it was pretty slow (aren't most of these 80s slashers?) but all was forgiven with it's grim atmosphere, cool plot twists and bloody dog attacks. The music score by Riz "Cannibal Holocaust" Ortolani was another fine point I neglected to mention.

Hellbilly
05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Gave this a spin today and liked it much better than I did back in the day. It is very slow, and reminded me of Happy Birthday To Me. Not necessarily a bad thing though. Worth checking out.
And yeah, Dark Sky's 2.35:1 transfer is very good.

snowbeast323
05-25-2009, 02:29 PM
I've wanted to see this one for a long time, but I can't find it anywhere as I believe it was banned here in the U.K........

CasEjonz
05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Ahhhh! Seven year old threads!! Not familiar with this one, will have to keep an eyeball turning for it. thanks for resurrecting this thread Hellbilly, would never gave it a passing thought.

Katatonia
05-26-2009, 12:50 AM
I've wanted to see this one for a long time, but I can't find it anywhere as I believe it was banned here in the U.K........

Maybe on its original release, but it did get an "unrated" UK DVD release many years ago. I have it and it's up for sale/trade, but the audio on the disc sucks.

vampyr789
05-26-2009, 02:23 AM
wow i have never heard of this movie before...i want to see it now :D

Mutilated Prey
05-26-2009, 04:29 AM
I was pretty surprised Dark Sky did such a nice job with this DVD release. I thought if it were ever pressed to DVD, it would be a crappy VHS transfer. Gives us hope for obscure horror to get top shelf releases.

CasEjonz
05-26-2009, 01:38 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B%2BRPJLmiL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Nice, to see a good copy getting this, gonna have to track one down for sure now!!!

Rockmjd
05-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I need to buy this and add it to my video-nasty collection.

snowbeast323
05-28-2009, 01:34 AM
Maybe on its original release, but it did get an "unrated" UK DVD release many years ago. I have it and it's up for sale/trade, but the audio on the disc sucks.

Ah, after reading your post I went to look for it, and I found it, thanks alot :)

KamuiX
05-28-2009, 04:58 AM
This is one of the most absurd, ridiculous flicks I've ever seen. It's one big "WTF" moment, and well worth checking out :D

Kim Bruun
12-29-2009, 10:42 PM
I caved and ordered this. I already have the R2 release with the frustrating audio.

I remember having mixed feelings about it. The tagline rocks, Trish Everly is an awesome final girl (with a spectacular, 'almost off the piano' scream la Dana Kimmell), the disfigured sister is gross, and there are a couple of good jump scares. On the other hand, there are a couple of goofy characters I didn't really appreciate on my first viewing...

Kim Bruun
12-29-2009, 10:51 PM
On a related note, I always wondered what happened to Trish Everly. She was beautiful and had decent acting skills and a killer shriek. And Madhouse remains her only credit...

Vance Vandy
01-03-2010, 04:37 AM
One of the weirdest slashers I've ever watched. To be frank, I wasn't too thrilled with it. Sloppy storytelling and dullard in nature.