PDA

View Full Version : Halloween vs. Friday the 13th

rhett
01-02-2003, 04:50 AM
So what do you guys like better, the FRIDAY films or the HALLOWEEN films? We all know that HALLOWEEN is the best slasher ever ;) but most fans seem to fall into two camps when it comes to the sequels of each respective series. Is it the cheese of the FRIDAY'S that gets your fancy, or is it the mean spiritedness of the HALLOWEEN'S that keeps you coming back each October? I'm interested so see what you guys think, so post away!

DefJeff
01-02-2003, 05:08 AM
im not gonna make a science of it. when it comes to these kind of flicks i am looking for awesome, brutal deaths and Friday the 13th flicks definitally deliver much more then the Halloween series.

not to mention that i like Jason better then Michael Myers. While Michael is scarier, Jason is defiintally meaner, and i love it.

Halloween 1 will always be better then any of the Friday flicks, but as a series, Friday wins hands down to me

Mark Relford
01-02-2003, 05:27 AM
The first Halloween is a classic, but the sequels were forgettable. (with the exception of part 2.)
Jason has always been my fave slasher. Most of the Friday the 13th sequels still hold up.
Just give me some nudity & creative kills in slashers. It doesn't take much to entertain me.:D

Shannafey
01-02-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by DefJeff
Halloween 1 will always be better then any of the Friday flicks, but as a series, Friday wins hands down to me

This about sums up my thoughts too.

slinker
01-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Im a big fan of the Halloween series, its about the only long running saga i have every movie of...but thats not to say that there havent been a few weak points in the series. I love Friday the 13th too, and im still holding out on unrated versions of the complete series (Save me Paramount!) but for me i would rather have Halloween in my player.Michael is just far more creepy and cruel. The inclusion of Busta Rhymes really makes me think twice about owning Ressurection though...he really spoilt an already flawed installment. :(

life_o_petey
01-02-2003, 05:33 PM
definitely Friday the 13th. They don't even try to make a serious movie in the series any more...its just 90 minutes of pure cheesy entertainment. Halloween tries too hard to be legitimate, and its sequels have failed horribly. Jason's the King.

zombi3
01-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Well I've heard people say that Halloween is "scarier" than Friday the 13th. I think both series had some scary elements in their earlier entries. But if people see these films after 20+ years and nine or ten sequels expecting to be scared, they will be sorely disappointed. They both have become nothing more than mindless slaughterfests (not that there's anything wrong with that ;) ). Having said that, the only thing either series has going for them now is creative death scenes and I think that Jason definitely surpasses Michael in that aspect.

Hellbilly
01-02-2003, 09:42 PM
I like 'em both equally.
Is that ok? :D

Fistfuck
01-02-2003, 09:45 PM
While the later installments of the F13 series are more enjoyable when compared to the Halloween sequels, an in depth look at any Halloween movie reveals it to be a much more competently made film. I had recently rewatched H6 with a bunch of friends right after watching Jason X and took note on how it's a better made, if less enjoyable film, than F13-10. Now this divides fans into two more camps, those who appreciate a movie based soley on it's entertainment value, and those who appreciate the care and love it takes to make a well-made film. Sure, the Godfather may be the best movie ever, but is it anywhere near as fun to watch as Star Wars? The conclusion I come to is neither is better than the other because they're incomparable, ie apples and oranges, or rhett and paff, or mcchrist and dogshit (j/k lil buddy). You can appreciate F13 for delivering exactly what you want, and you can appreciate Halloween for caring enough about the series to try something different each time.

Dunwich
01-02-2003, 10:22 PM
I prefer the friday the 13th serie to Halloween but love the first Halloween movie a lot :)

satan x
01-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Ooooh this a a tough one, Halloween 1 is without question the only conventional classic on offer and is still the daddy of all slasher films, but when taken over the series of films it's harder to decide, both have had high points, by God both have had low points, however for me Halloween just has the edge, just.

onebyone
01-03-2003, 06:18 AM
Before that last one, I would have been prone to giving the edge to Michael Myers and the Halloween movies. But then they had Myers getting slapped around by Busta Rhymes. **Shudder** God I hate that movie. So I give it all to Friday the 13th now.

STREET TRASH
01-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Call me crazy, but I think that every single "Friday the 13th" film - save the last two installments - annihilate even the original "Halloween." I've never been a fan of "Halloween," or it's insipid sequels. Caught "Resurrection" the other night - what a POS. But, to be fair, "Jason X" was just as bad.

onebyone
01-04-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by STREET TRASH
Call me crazy, but I think that every single "Friday the 13th" film - save the last two installments - annihilate even the original "Halloween." I've never been a fan of "Halloween," or it's insipid sequels. Caught "Resurrection" the other night - what a POS. But, to be fair, "Jason X" was just as bad.

I enjoyed JasonX. **Gets out of the way of eggs and various food products thrown my way.** I thought it was a hoot. And there was no Busta Rhymes kicking Jason's ass. That is important for some reason.

DefJeff
01-04-2003, 05:31 AM
i too loved Jason X. i felt it was the best Jason movie since Part 4 and also beat Halloween 4-Ressurection

Suicide
01-04-2003, 05:56 AM
I'm with Street Trash on this one, not a big fan of Halloween or it's sequels. I actually find the original Halloween quite boring. (Please don't kill me.) Not that I need relentless gore and all that to enjoy a movie, Hallowen just doesn't do much for me. I mean I respect it being a classic and I have plenty of respect for John Carpenter and all I just find it very overrated. I'll take Black Christmas thank you.

As for the Friday movies I've enjoyed most of them, even part 5. They're far more entertaining to me.

rhett
01-04-2003, 09:24 AM
I am somewhat split in my opinions. The HALLOWEEN films DO take themselves more seriously, but the FRIDAY films are more fun. The HALLOWEEN films have always had higher production values, but he FRIDAY films have always been intentionally campy. I'd say that the HALLOWEEN films have had better beginning and ending installments, while the FRIDAY films have been more consistent and better in the middle episodes (Parts 2-6). I prefer H20 and H:R to JX and JGTH, although I do like them all to some extent. J vs. F aside, I'd say the HALLOWEEN films have more promise for future sequels.

As far as the characters go, I'll have to give Jason the edge. I mean, what other horror character has endured more makeovers than Mr. retarded drowning victim himself? He's gone from white sack to hockey mask to zombie to robot, while Mr. Myers has remained a simple faceless being. Michael works best in the first film when he is merely a face of evil, not a brother or anything else. But as a character, Jason just has more personality, with those nuanced pauses and executions. His weapons become an extention of himself and give him a personality that Michael can't touch.

Glad to see there are some HALLOWEEN fans out there though, I thought Jason would clean this thread out...

STREET TRASH
01-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Chris Phelps
As for the Friday movies I've enjoyed most of them, even part 5. They're far more entertaining to me.

Hell yeah. Part 5 rocks. What was the bodycount in that film, 20? And I love that song "His Eyes," I think that's it.

mcchrist
01-04-2003, 11:06 PM
I'm going to have to vote for Friday, just because Halloween has not produced ANYTHING beyond part 3. Bachman Turner Overdrive! Its like each following sequel becomes worse than the title that preceeded it! And based off the last two, I doubt I'll ever see any more sequels to this shit! With Friday the 13th, you get what you pay for. I still haven't seen Jason X, but I thought JGTH was a bloody good time and Jason Takes Manhattan cracks me up! It has definitly been the more consistant series, I'll give you that!

KillerCannabis
01-08-2003, 11:17 PM
If we're talking the first film in the series, I'd give the edge to Halloween. But as far as overall goes...... I have to give it to Friday the 13th. Those films have been the cornerstone of my horror collection since I was in 5th grade and I can honestly watch each one and enjoy it fully. Yes, even Jason X which I feel was one of the best in the series.

John
01-09-2003, 01:19 AM
Part 1 - edge to Halloween
Part 2 - edge to Halloween
Part 3 - edge to F13th
Part 4 - edge to Halloween (very close call on this one)
Part 5 - edge to F13th
Part 6 - edge to F13th
Part 7 - edge to Halloween
Part 8 - even (Take out Busta and Halloween has it)
Part 9 - WE'LL SEE!!! :banana:
Part X - edge F13th (I loved it, we'll see if Halloween can compete)

It's pretty close down the line. Of course these come down to personal preference, but it is a fun discussion.

rhett
01-09-2003, 01:43 AM
Part 1 - Halloween
Part 2 - Friday the 13th (tight)
Part 3 - Friday the 13th
Part 4 - Friday the 13th
Part 5 - Halloween
Part 6 - Friday the 13th
Part 7 - Halloween
Part 8 - Friday the 13th (very tight)

Good idea John!

WesReviews
01-09-2003, 01:48 AM
Part 1 - Halloween
Part 2 - Halloween
Part 3 - Friday the 13th
Part 4 - Halloween
Part 5 - Friday the 13th (as terrible as it is, it DID have more nudity and blood)
Part 6 - Friday the 13th
Part 7 - Friday the 13th
Part 8 - Friday the 13th

thrashard76
01-09-2003, 02:03 AM
Part 1. Halloween
Part 2. Halloween
Part 3. Friday The 13th
Part 4. Halloween
Part 5. Halloween
Part 6. Friday The 13th
Part 7. Friday The 13th
Part 8. Friday The 13th

:evil:

BlazingMagnum
01-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Halloween - without a shadow of a doubt!
Friday The Thirteenth is fun - but Halloween is timeless!

Suicide
01-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Part 1 - Close call, but only because I like John Carpenter. And because Jason's mom clearly has man hand's when she's killing someone.
Part 2 - Friday the 13th
Part 3 - Friday the 13th
Part 4 - Friday the 13th
Part 5 - Friday the 13th
Part 6 - Friday the 13th
Part 7 - Friday the 13th
Part 8 - Friday the 13th