PDA

View Full Version : new F13th dvd!!

rxfiend
01-06-2003, 01:12 AM
from dvdfile:

Speaking of things that go bump in the night, how many Friday the 13th fans out there are tired of waiting for Paramount to release some gosh darn golly special editions of the horror classics? Well, 2003 may prove to be the year fans finally get what they've been waiting for... sort of. In addition to the upcoming Freddy Vs. Jason due in theaters this summer and a new book on the making of the entire series hitting bookstores this fall, Warner will release a new special edition of the one that started it all in 2003... but only overseas (Paramount retains the domestic home video distribution rights). The disc will feature the international cut of the film (already available via Warner in some foreign territories), plus the new documentary "Return to Crystal Lake," featuring all-new interviews with Cunningham, stars Adrienne King and Betsy Palmer, screenwriter Victor Miller, and more. Alas, a Paramount spokesperson told us there are still no plans for any special edition releases of any of the Friday flicks here in the States, despite the Warner effort. Stay tuned for more, and in the meantime, guess you Friday fans will have to check into those multi-region players until Paramount changes their minds...

zombi3
01-06-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by rxfiend
from dvdfile:

Alas, a Paramount spokesperson told us there are still no plans for any special edition releases of any of the Friday flicks here in the States, despite the Warner effort.

Yeah, the dipshits are waiting to see how much money Warner can make first.

:fuck: Paramount!

speanroc
01-06-2003, 01:51 AM
region free, here i come

now only if some company can find an uncut print of
my bloody valentine, another paramount DVD screw up.

betterdan
01-06-2003, 02:03 AM
I would much rather have an uncut my bloody valentine disc than any F13.

Eddie Quist
01-06-2003, 02:37 AM
I think we all have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than ever getting an uncut MY BLOODY VALENTINE. :bs:

It's too bad, because it is one of my most wanted items.

betterdan
01-06-2003, 03:15 AM
I would volunteer to get struck by lightning if we could just get MBV uncut. Well on second thought that is a little drastic isn't it?:p

onebyone
01-06-2003, 03:21 AM
I sure will be buying this if it comes out. :banana: It is about damn time someone releases a decent copy of the Friday the 13th. I still can't believe how totally crappy Paramont did with these movies. I know that is how they always are, but you would think they would at least see the $$$ in a limited special edition or something.

rxfiend
01-06-2003, 05:38 AM
i said "fuck it" and created my own UNCUT F13th dvd(r). :D too bad i don't have access to the uncut versions of the other films.

Joel Groce
01-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Here is some info on the uncut print of "MBV" in case someone hasn't seen it, along with the link:

"George Mihalka, director of My Bloody Valentine and a sometime acquaintance of mine, is indeed interested in seeing his director's cut released some day (your site states the contrary). In fact, he once told me that over the years, both he and John Dunning (producer of MBV) have approached Paramount regarding this, as well as the possibility of a sequel, but were rebuffed each time. It appears that so long as Paramount's puritanical policies remain in place, their horror library is doomed to censorship."

... so, at least Mihalka would be interested in seeing the film put out in its complete version. However, as Thom later told me:

"A few years ago, I asked George if he had a personal copy of his director's cut. Unfortunately, he does not. Under the terms of his contract, he was provided a 35mm print of the film, but it's the cut theatrical print. Basically, the film's post-production was done in Montreal. Once George had completed his director's cut, all of the elements were shipped to L.A. Paramount then struck a print and submitted it to the MPAA for a rating. When it came back with an X, Paramount made the necessary cuts without consulting George since he didn't have final cut approval anyhow. Of course, he now regrets not having the foresight to make a copy for himself before shipping it off."

However, shortly after hearing this disappointing news I was contacted by Adam Rockoff, the author of the upcoming GOING TO PIECES: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SLASHER FILM, 1978-1986. He had interviewed for the book such slasher movie luminaries as John Carpenter, Sean Cunningham, Bill Lustig, Irwin Yablans, Roger Spottiswoode and Jack Sholder. George Mihalka, however, did not respond to an interview request, but John Dunning (MY BLOODY VALENTINE's producer) did. This is what Adam told me:

"While writing my book I interviewed John Dunning, producer of both My Bloody Valentine and Happy Birthday to Me (along with House by the Lake and Rabid, as well). He admits the film was butchered by the MPAA. Hardly one to shy away from gore, he also has always wanted to release a fully uncut version. About a year and a half ago, while cleaning out his office vault he found the footage which the MPAA cut. He contacted Paramount but they didn't seem to have any interest in restoring the film. So, as of now, he still has it in his possession. While we may be no closer to getting an uncut release at least you know it truly does exist. Hope you enjoyed this story."

... naturally, enjoy it I did! It was the first concrete sighting of the 'lost' footage. I was eager to hear more, but the next news came as something of a surprise:

"Interestingly enough, Dunning told me that he holds the rights to a sequel to MBV, with Paramount getting right of first refusal. ... a sequel to MBV never was made so maybe Dunning does have some ownership. By the way, according to him, he has a treatment for a sequel, but nothing was ever officially (or even unofficially) scripted."

... so a sequel was on the cards (more of which later). Remembering that when I had contacted Dragon Entertainment, in Germany, a few years ago they had expressed an interest in putting out an uncut version of MY BLOODY VALENTINE; obviously, one of the problems then was finding an uncut print, but we were now one step closer. Adam agreed it was a good idea, so I contacted Dragon, who were very enthusiastic said they needed to find out who owned the rights to the film in Germany before they could forge ahead (they'd had their fingers burnt over run-ins with Paramount before when trying to release the uncut version of Scott Spegiell's INTRUDER). Meanwhile, Adam got some more information from Dunning:

"Although Dunning does not have a print of the film, he does have the negative. And wait until you hear this. . . 8-9 minutes of cut scenes, which means it’s a little bit more than a snip or two here and there. I can only imagine what they are.

Now, on to Paramount. He said that Paramount owns the rights in the States for another year. After that, there’s some clause that allows them to renew them for another 10 years for $1.00! This sounds, to say the least, bizarre to me, but who am I to argue? He also said there is no truth that Paramount is interested in releasing the uncut version. He said the studio would NEVER release a film without a rating, and if he inserted the new footage, it would never get by the MPAA with an R. But again, he might not be privy to what goes on behind closed doors at the studio.

Here’s some more juicy info. ... Dunning almost has the script completed for My Bloody Valentine II. The premise is that the mines have been converted into an amusement park (or as he put it, a "thrill show"). Now, as kids begin to go through the park, Dunning plans to insert the original cut footage! So to say the least, he’s not about to let that footage languish in his vaults."

Unfortunately, despite a promising start, it turned out that Paramount owned the rights to the film in Germany after all (even though, it seems, it is banned there!) - I was able to find out (and it was amazing how difficult it was!) after a contact at Paramount UK did some snooping (thanks, Simon!). Dragon were told the same thing roughly the same time and so had no choice but to abandon plans to put the film out there (they said there was no chance that Paramount would license it out to them, and if they did it would be prohibitively expensive). There was briefly some talk about them investing in the proposed sequel but they decided it was not for them at this time, which is fair enough. So, presently John Dunning is trying to secure funding to get the sequel made - and this may be our only chance of seeing the censored footage. Or is it? ...

There are continuing rumours that the film was released uncut in Asian territories, on VHS and laserdisc. I'm currently trying to ascertain if this is correct, but it is amazingly difficult to track down Western videos for sale in Asia (although, I have some leads - thanks, Thom!). ... Also, British company Midnight Media are hosting cinéXS 2, a one day horror film festival on the 1st June, at Welwyn Garden City, which says they are screening the "uncut" version of MY BLOODY VALENTINE. I can't go myself, but am hoping to get a report back to find out whether this is indeed the full uncut version or the slightly longer British cinema version (just with the extra arm ripping at the end). ... And last, but certainly not least, I have to keep fairly scthum about it but there are still moves afoot to get the film restored (more details when I can tell them). Remember, the previously thought missing footage is found - it can only be a matter of time before the film emerges uncut, Paramount or no Paramount!

link: http://www.south-over.demon.co.uk/Hysteria/campaignindexmbvmain.htm

mcchrist
01-06-2003, 11:57 AM
You know, that is some very interesting shit in regards to MBV. Not good news, in fact alot that was stated pisses me off, but interesting as all hell!

tenebre
01-06-2003, 03:22 PM
i really hate buying the same DVD multiple times...

shoudl be a perfect release the first time damnit!

rhett
01-06-2003, 05:39 PM
We're still a ways away from an SE box set from Paramount, but this is definitely a step in the right direction!

hell ya!
01-07-2003, 02:17 AM
good news i hope they release SEs of the rest of the films in R1:banana: :banana:

Fart Lighter
01-07-2003, 04:12 AM
hooray for warner Europe. I'm amazed at this news, it's not like Warner at all. Given that they tossed us a bare bones Mad Max, I can't beleive they've done this.
Let them know we appreciate it I say, I'll ring them up sometime. If they know we're happy....well, they may just put the effort in with other releases, and we may get an uncut TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA for the first time ever...or something.

rxfiend
01-07-2003, 06:07 AM
the first film has been released uncut in other countries before, but not any of the other films (talking about 1 - 8). the p1 dvd "may" be the only dvd that gets released uncut, unless Warner does some restoring and get the uncut (if available!) prints out.

STREET TRASH
01-07-2003, 04:42 PM
I too, would much, MUCH rather see an uncut, SE of "My Bloody Valentine" than any "Friday the 13th." Just imagine if you will, that Synapse Films is able to snag it up. What a glorious release they'd give us. Chock full of all sorts of interesting extras surrounding it's much maligned history, interview with cast+crew, talk about a supposed sequel (I've been reading rumors about this for YEARS now...), behind-the-scenes, trailers, tv spots, a separate CD for that ultra-cool closing song (a dreamer, am I?) ... Oh lord, lemme stop before I have a hernia. The greatest early '80s slasher deserves more

Justin Kerswell
01-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by rxfiend
the first film has been released uncut in other countries before, but not any of the other films (talking about 1 - 8). the p1 dvd "may" be the only dvd that gets released uncut, unless Warner does some restoring and get the uncut (if available!) prints out.

... unfortunately I doubt Warners will ever get their hands on the other FRIDAY's. It's worth remembering that Paramount didn't actually make the first film, rather they picked it up for distribution in America; Warner Bros. picked up the overseas distribution rights. However, I still wouldn't rule out Paramount selling the rights to the highest bidder when they've bled the bare release cash cow dry.

www.hysteria-lives.co.uk (http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk)

KillerCannabis
01-08-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm pissed to see we still get the shaft on the original flicks. I'd love to have a SE box set of all 8 of the Paramount Friday's and while I feel we MAY see it eventually, I know its still a long way off. Wouldnt it be great if NL or even AB bought the rights from Paramount? Then we KNOW we'd get the SE's we've been dreaming of.

rxfiend
01-08-2003, 11:50 PM
all i want is the uncut versions, then i'd be satisfied! Part 1 uncut, while only restoring about 10 seconds, is very cool to see, especially the Kevin Bacon death scene!!! i really hope p2 and 7 get uncut treatment (since they were cut the most).

zombi3
01-09-2003, 12:19 AM
I'd like to see that as well, but I ain't holding my breath.

:fuck: Paramount!

Esrever
01-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Regarding My Bloody Valentine, there's a Region 2 DVD on the way. It may not be fully uncut, but is a little longer than the "R" I think. Perhaps the version shown at that Film Festival recently.

http://www.playserver5.com/play247.asp?page=search&adudisc=y (http://)

&

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000075610 (http://)

Justin Kerswell
01-12-2003, 02:30 AM
It's being released by Paramount, unfortunately. It has a snowball's chance in hell! :(

www.hysteria-lives.co.uk (http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk)

Fistfuck
01-12-2003, 09:00 PM
Holy shit! It's Justin Kerswell again! You keep popping up here and there. I still refer to Hysteria! when chosing or after viewing flicks. Best to ya, man.

Justin Kerswell
01-14-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Fistfuck
Holy shit! It's Justin Kerswell again! You keep popping up here and there. I still refer to Hysteria! when chosing or after viewing flicks. Best to ya, man.

... thanks for the best wishes! HYSTERIA! is clawing its way back from the grave. Keep watching the shadows ...

HYSTERIA LIVES! (http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk)

rhett
01-14-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Justin Kerswell
Keep watching the shadows ...
...and look out for the fog!

Sorry, I just finished watching THE FOG. :D

Fistfuck
01-14-2003, 05:58 AM
Excellent Justin! I'm glad you've decided to bring back the site. And this time we'll actually work on that bipartisan review instead of just bullshitting about it.