PDA

View Full Version : Mr Vampire R2

Fart Lighter
01-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Has anybody else got HKL's MR VAMPIRE DVD? I picked it up yesterday and have noticed some major problems with the soundtrack. Apart from all the music and sound effects being mixed at less than half the level they should be, there's actually some missing. In chapter 13, when the vampire crashes through the gate, there should be a peice of music that runs though into the bedroom. It's not there. Also missing are a lot of the dubbed on crashes and bangs when wooden furniture is broken. All I can hear is the sound of the props seperating.

have I got a one-off duff disk here, or is it the same on them all? All the missing audio appears on the English dub, but I'm not siiting through that!

Evil Disco Guy
01-08-2003, 04:08 AM
HKL have stated that when they bought the rights to a lot of the MegaStar distributed films they weren't allowed to use the original tracks, only the new 5.1 remixes. It's common knowledge that 99% of MegaStar 5.1 remixes are horridly done with bad seperation, fake surrounds, added effects, deleted effects, etc but thankfully HKL normally manage to salvage them and make them sound decent, but obviously in the end it's still remixed, just made to sound better.

I believe Deltamac have just released Mr. Vampire (as well as parts 2, 3 and possibly 4) on DVD in Hong Kong and they do feature the original mix however the transfers are taken from PAL masters which have then been converted to NTSC which means the video isn't up to the standards of the HKL release, plus it has none of the extras.

I have to say I loved the HKL DVD though, a nice presentation of a great film.

Fart Lighter
01-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Hmmm...If HKL can't sort the sound out on this, I'll be sticking with the one I taped of CHannel 4. I won't pick up a HK disk of this due to the illiterate subs. I did have the Tai-Seng release and got rid of it for this reason. It's a real bastard if this is right and HKL can't fix this, as there's no sign of a decent DVD of this great movie anywhere. I did e-mail HKL about it, but they've not replied as of yet.

Fart Lighter
01-11-2003, 02:39 PM
I guess I'll be picking up 3 & 4 from Deltamac as they're not available elsewhere. no need to 'downgrade' from my TV recorded versions of 1 & 2. I've also noticed NEW MR. VAMPIRE from Tai Seng, but no nothing of it regarding quality. And there's MAGIC COP (Mr. VAMPIRE 5) on HK VCD, which I'll get too. I was hoping for good r1 or r2 releases of this series, but I doubt it's going to happen.......cry....:cry:

creamstick
01-12-2003, 04:24 PM
The HKL Mr. Vampire is just fine by me, I didn't even notice the missing music etc. until this thread, but after comparison I did, but it's no big deal - fantastic remastered picture quality, OAR, some goo dextras and another great Bey Logan commentary - plus, it's cheap as chips at www.play.com - why not?

Fart Lighter
01-12-2003, 07:58 PM
I've still got the Channel 4 version. If i didn;t have it, I'd probably be tolerant of the HKL version, but improved picture for sake of such a degraded soundtrack, and some occasionally sloppy mis-translation as well, I didn't want to stick with it. I'll be with my C4 version then. I've given up on getting a decent DVD of this film, it's a shadow of what it is in it's correct form.

Any ideas as to which other HKL disks have audio tinkering problems?

Evil Disco Guy
01-13-2003, 08:54 PM
You'll find any HKL disc with a 5.1 remix will have some degree of tinkering. And it isn't the fault of HKL, it's the fault of MegaStar who did the remixes. When they sold the rights to overseas companies it's well known that they wouldn't let out the original tracks and there are a lot of claims that they would only give out the worst quality prints, saving the better ones for themselves.

Fart Lighter
01-14-2003, 11:01 PM
whetehr it's HKL's fault or not, they're most likely still going to be inferior versions to the ones I have taped from TV back in the 80's. It's a very Toho approach that Megastar have taken, and a real shame as HK DVDs are generally poor. I could put up with the inferioir picture of a HK Mr. Vampire, but I know the subs will be bad. The ones on the Tai Seng disk were terrible. I'll stick with my TV recordings until sometime in the future a correct version can surface somewhere.

onebyone
08-14-2005, 08:41 AM
I just watched Mr. Vampire for the first time (late I know), and man that was fun. Vampire/Little Rascals/Comedy/Horror/Zombie/Romance/Kung Fu all thrown into one highly entertaining movie. Fun, fun, fun times. I am glad I got talked into checking this one out.

Now I am wondering about the sequels. Are they as wonderful as this one, or should I stay away? Do they get sober in tone or stay totally whacked out like this one? Any thoughts on the sequels or the first movie to share?

BloodMan
08-14-2005, 09:18 AM
I didn't find the sequels that much fun at all. I do really like the first film though, and have seen it many times so maybe I'm just a bit biased or something on that, saw the sequels recently and was less than impressed. Try checkin' out Encounters of the Spooky Kind...I think that is what it is called... Sammo Hung is in it anyway... that is alot of fun. :)

onebyone
08-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I didn't find the sequels that much fun at all. I do really like the first film though, and have seen it many times so maybe I'm just a bit biased or something on that, saw the sequels recently and was less than impressed. Try checkin' out Encounters of the Spooky Kind...I think that is what it is called... Sammo Hung is in it anyway... that is alot of fun. :)

Sad to hear the sequels aren't as fun as the first one, as I so loved the first last nght that I want more NOW. I will for sure rent before I buy, just to be sure. However, I will try Encounter of the Spooky Kind first. That sounds super. Bring on the hopping vampires!

BloodMan
08-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Hopping Vampires rock!
No hopping vampires in these films, maybe no DVD either, but you should try to track down The Rape After and Seeding of a Ghost... some really coool wicked HK horror there. Rape After has some flaming crows... a living fetus thing... magic... :) Seeding is similar, really nifty ending on that flick. And you must see Devil Fetus for the stop motion demon finale alone. And the split in half kid with a demon popping out of the body. :) :)