PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Pages : [1] 2 3

Agent Z
01-08-2003, 06:09 AM
All found on Ebay......

JAWS:Signature Collection-finally picked this one up after bidding on numerous copies of it over the past few months. At one point, I was bidding up to $45 (which would have been $57 after the S&H) on one unopened set, but that didn't end up meeting the seller's reserve. I picked this one up near-mint (with the novel, soundtrack cd, and the FULL documentary) for $28 shipped......and I'm anxious to see how the picture and sound are on this edition!

PUMPKINHEAD- Full-Frame, first edition release....which, from what I understand, is actually on par with the dvd release....$5.50 shipped...

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON- remastered widescreen edition from Live.......didn't really care for the extras when I previewed the SE dvd...and the picture and sound on this edition are pretty nice....not a bad pick-up at $6.00 shipped....BTW.....the anal side of me must complain...I have NO problem with sellers shipping laserdiscs in huge bubble-wrapped-lined envelopes IF they put the laserdisc between two sheets of sturdy cardboard. This laserdisc was just shipped in an envelope with no other protection and ended up getting the jacket dog-eared on one of the corners. :(

THE KILLER (Criterion Collection), HARD-BOILED (Criterion Collection), HARD-BOILED (Japanese laser) - I have NEVER gone wrong with a Criterion release! I picked all three of these up in a bundle from one seller for $11.50 shipped......SWEET! :)

jscott
01-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by MISSIONCODEZ
JAWS:Signature Collection-......and I'm anxious to see how the picture and sound are on this edition!

The picture looks great (gotta love the CAV format), but the Pro Logic track leaves a bit to be desired (I could just be spoiled from watching the DTS DVD).

Paff
01-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Wow. The Killer and Hard Boiled Criterions go that cheap?? I'm definitely grabbing a couple if that's the usual price.

I have the Jaws Signature Edition, but it's the CLV version without the book and soundtrack. It's a nice disc, but I've never compared it to the DVD, so I don't know which one is better. You do get the full documentary on the Laserdisc, which makes it worth it for that alone.

And that AWIL isn't bad, but I thought the sound was REAL harsh on the LD

MISFITZ
01-08-2003, 08:36 PM
I have JAWS on DVD now, and I'll also agree i found the sound to be more 'crisp' in the DVD. Water splashing sounded good and gave the 'experience' a good sensation.

However, I did not have JAWS on LD as the signature edition. When i did own it on LD, my copy was great, but not signature though, which may just mean i didn't have some of the extras mentioned above.

However, I do know the JAWS LD had better trailers than the DVD. One of my ALL TIME favorite trailers is on the JAWS LD. And when i replaced my LD with the DVD version I was suprised to see that the specific trailer i was looking for was not there.

That trailer never showed that "JAWS" was a shark and they refer to it as a 'devil' under the water. The end of the trailer shows that chcik swimming and her being pulled under by 'something'. Then the movie info comes up on screen on a black background and you can still hear that chick yelling... "IT HURTS! OH GAWD!!!"

Total wicked trailer! I've been wanting to get the JAWS LD back just for that trailer alone.

Good pick ups! THose are some great prices for those disc. Makes me sorta wanna own the SIG version of JAWS now. ahahah!

Zodiac-Mindwarp
01-09-2003, 06:09 AM
Congratulations on the great laser disc score!

Makes me think that I should hit Ebay and do some shopping :D

Agent Z
01-09-2003, 06:59 AM
Wow. The Killer and Hard Boiled Criterions go that cheap?? I'm definitely grabbing a couple if that's the usual price.

I don't think that's the norm. I got REAL LUCKY picking these up for that price. If you do a check of the OOP Criterion dvds of HARD-BOILED and THE KILLER on ebay....they have bids on them going up to $50 and higher for each title.....and I rarely ever see the Criterion laserdisc versions up for bid on ebay.

Agent Z
02-04-2003, 11:29 AM
That trailer never showed that "JAWS" was a shark and they refer to it as a 'devil' under the water. The end of the trailer shows that chcik swimming and her being pulled under by 'something'. Then the movie info comes up on screen on a black background and you can still hear that chick yelling... "IT HURTS! OH GAWD!!!"

(Ominous Narrator)...."It's as if God created the Devil and gave him...JAWS!"

Love those old trailers! Finally viewed the boxset the other night and found it to be what I expected. The audio, while nowhere near the dvd, was respectable (and closer to what I heard when I first saw this as a kid during its re-release at a drive-in!). The FULL documentary was so much better! I still don't understand why this couldn't have been included in its entirety with the Anniversary dvd.....would it have cost that much more to just include a second disc? C'mon!

MISFITZ
02-04-2003, 06:20 PM
As for recent LD's buys,

I think I snagged Paff in an auction. (sorry my friend, when i saw the price, i had to snag it)

Picked up PLAGUE of the ZOMBIEs from Elite on LD.

Was about to bid on THE CREEPING FLESH but it went up to $31!!!! And i thought i was paying too much at $14!!! I know it's not on DVD, but it's not like this LD is exactly a great copy of the film. I'd even go as far as saying i'd wait for the DVD or buy a VHS copy. $31 was too much.

And i missed the auction for the LD of CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS. Check it out, this dude picked it up as a good price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3308756678&category=18850

I just forgot to bid on it! Would have paid $12 for it, so i'm not so sure i would've won. I'll never know.

Plus, i don't think i'm gonna go for this, but has anyone heard about this LD or it's cousin disc? Are they of good quality? I contacted the seller and he said all those films are fitting on only 6 LDs!!! I dunno. Sounded fishy to me, but the titles are cool. That's a sweet set....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3310062604&category=18850

MISFITZ
02-04-2003, 06:22 PM
(Ominous Narrator)...."It's as if God created the Devil and gave him...JAWS!"

ahahahahahah!!! It's chessy reading that line, but when i saw the trailer, i was all into it. And i starting thinking about how it musta felt seeing that trailer in the theaters. Before a 'jaws' film even came out. ahahahahah!!!

Agent Z
02-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Plus, i don't think i'm gonna go for this, but has anyone heard about this LD or it's cousin disc? Are they of good quality? I contacted the seller and he said all those films are fitting on only 6 LDs!!! I dunno. Sounded fishy to me, but the titles are cool. That's a sweet set....

From the imdb comes this info on the Val Lewton Collection:

Disc Title: Lewton, Val Collection, The
Image Entertainment ID 2815 TU

Black and White

Released in 19 July 1995
Available List Price: $179.99

Video Information Disc Details
1.37 : 1
Academy Ratio
NTSC Closed Captioning: none
Master format: Film
Sides: 12 (CLV)
Language: English

Sound Encoding Digital Track Analog Track

MONO

Notes: This is a collection of the nine Val Lewton horror B-movies Cat People (1942), I Walked with a Zombie (1943), Leopard Man, The (1943), Seventh Victim, The (1943), Ghost Ship, The (1943), Curse of the Cat People (1944), Isle of the Dead (1945), Bedlam (1946), and Body Snatcher, The (1945).

The transfer of most movies is very good. Occasionally there are some distortions in the soundtrack. The transfer of I Walked with a Zombie (1943) is not as good as the old Image Entertainment laserdisc. _Body Snatcher, The (1945)_ also includes an audio commentary by Wise, Robert.

http://us.imdb.com/Laserdisc?0037549

MISFITZ
02-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Hmmmmmm.... damn! Thanks MISSIONCODEZ. To be honest, i didn't know IMDB had info like that. Interesting. Granted it's one person's opinion on what 'he' thinks is a good transfer, but i'm quite interested in the films. Quality would be great, but i'd love to own these films, esp on a format that won't damage as easily as VHS.

I may watch this auction a bit. I'd love to own it like i said, but at this time i can't really go all out on my cash for it. Saving up for other things.

Still, like Bob Barker said... "If the price is right" Thanks again for that tad of info. I wonder how good CAT PEOPLE looks on these.

Paff
02-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by MISFITZ
As for recent LD's buys,

I think I snagged Paff in an auction. (sorry my friend, when i saw the price, i had to snag it)

Picked up PLAGUE of the ZOMBIEs from Elite on LD.

THAT WAS YOU?!?!?

SonofaBITCH

MISFITZ
02-04-2003, 07:25 PM
LOL!!

I saw the name and was pretty sure it was you. I mean how many people have "PAFF" in their name. And i kept saying, if it goes up in price, then i won't mess with the LD. But when i checked on it before the auction ended and saw it still below $5, i had to throw my bid in. Sorry again! But... :cool:

Paff
02-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Well, I did think about going a little higher, but I was also bidding to win that guy's copy of Dracula, Prince of Darkness (which I also lost).
BUT, I'm glad the disc is going to someone here, to someone who will appreciate it.

Have you seen Plague of the Zombies, 'fitz?? It's a bad-ass movie. I own the DVD, and I was only bidding to add to my Elite LD collection. That's one reason I abandoned the auction once I was outbid. So it's cool if it goes to someone who's never seen the movie before.

MISFITZ
02-04-2003, 07:45 PM
I've seen it, but not in its best format. So i'm anxious to get a hold of a good copy.

Does anyone have a complete list of which ELITE LD's of HAMMER are out? I'll see some titles on the ROAN label, and have been pleased with them. I've been trying to build my HAMMER collection and wanted a check list.

The DVDs are priced too high now. I mean, the ROAN and ELITE Hammer titles i've picked up have been outstanding to say the least. JUST OUTSTANDING! I don't know why i'd want to pay double (and sometimes TRIPLE) the price just so i can have it on DVD. Maybe to avoid a disc flip, but i'm not that damn stuck up i can't have my precious horror movie interrupted for 5 seconds.

Anyway, if anyone has a list, or a link on the HAMMER films available through ROAN or ELITE brands, i'd HIGHLY appreciate it.

Paff
02-04-2003, 08:08 PM
I'd like a complete list of the Roan/Elite Hammer LDs too...

The Cinema Laser (http://www.thecinemalaser.com) used to have a lot of Hammer disc info. They still have some Hammer LD reviews, like the Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil double feature, Evil Dead, Dracula Prince of Darkness, and even the recently sniped Plague of the Zombies.

If anyone has a full list of Elite LDs, that would be cool too...

Agent Z
02-05-2003, 02:54 AM
The Elite Hammer Collection

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
Plague of the Zombies (1966)
Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966)
The Reptile (1966)
The Devil's Own/The Witches (1966)
The Viking Queen (1967)
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) [cushing]
The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
Five Million Years to Earth/Quartermass and the Pit (1967)
A Challenge for Robin Hood (1967)
The Vengence of She (1967)
The Devil's Bride/The Devil Rides Out (1968)
Prehistoric Women/Slave Girls (1968)
The Lost Continent (1968)

THE HAMMER COLLECTION

HAMMER FILM PRODUCTIONS LIMITED is acknowledged to be amongst the
world’s most prolific
independent film companies and is recognized as one of cinema’s
formidable successes. HAMMER is
identified with remarkable achievement, making quality features that
combine innovative subject matter
with polished production techniques. The company has produced in excess
of 200 films for both theatrical
and television exploitation and, although the name of HAMMER is
synonymous with blood-tingling
horror, the subject matter ranges from psychological thrillers to
prehistoric fantasies, from period drama
to slapstick comedy and from action adventure to science fiction.

Elite Entertainment is proud to present the following collection of
HAMMER films digitally transferred
in their original theatrical aspect ratios from HAMMER’s archival uncut
elements. The following titles
will begin shipping late Spring of ‘97.

DRACULA - PRINCE OF DARKNESS (LTBX) - Contains Audio Commentary
featuring
CHRISTOPHER LEE, BARBARA SHELLEY, FRANCIS MATTHEWS and SUZAN FARMER.
Also
contains BEHIND-THE-SCENES home movie footage and THEATRICAL TRAILERS.
ITEM EE3722 / RETAIL: $49.95

THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES (LTBX) - w/theatrical trailer
ITEM EE7524 / RETAIL: $39.95

RASPUTIN - THE MAD MONK (LTBX) - Contains Audio Commentary featuring
CHRISTOPHER
LEE, BARBARA SHELLEY, FRANCIS MATTHEWS and SUZAN FARMER. Contains
theatrical
trailer. and TV spots.
ITEM EE7277 / RETAIL: $49.95

THE REPTILE (LTBX) - w/TV spots
ITEM EE7378 / RETAIL: $39.95

THE LOST CONTINENT (LTBX) - w/theatrical trailer and TV spots
ITEM EE5678 / RETAIL: $39.95

QUATERMASS AND THE PIT (LTBX) [AKA FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH] -
Contains Audio
Commentary track featuring NIGEL KNEALE and ROY WARD BAKER. Also
contains theatrical trailer
and TV spots.
ITEM EE7487 / RETAIL: $49.95

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING TITLES WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE FROM ELITE
ENTERTAINMENT.
FURTHER DETAILS CONCERNING THESE TITLES WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE SHORTLY.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________

FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN
ITEM EE3726 / RETAIL: $39.95

THE MUMMY’S SHROUD
ITEM EE6866 / RETAIL: $39.95

A CHALLENGE FOR ROBIN HOOD
ITEM EE4663 /RETAIL $39.95

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT [AKA THE DEVIL’S BRIDE]
ITEM EE3384 / RETAIL: $39.95

THE WITCHES [AKA THE DEVIL’S OWN]
ITEM EE9482 / RETAIL: $39.95

THE VIKING QUEEN
ITEM EE8454 / RETAIL: $39.95

PREHISTORIC WOMEN [AKA SLAVE GIRLS]
ITEM EE7734 / RETAIL: $39.95

THE VENGEANCE OF SHE
ITEM EE8364 / RETAIL: $39.95

Not definitive, but a start for now........

MISFITZ
02-05-2003, 04:09 PM
VERY NICE!!!

Damn MissionCodez! Thanks!!!

Gawd, i hate to encourage it but...

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Seriously, this is cool to work from!

MISFITZ
02-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Well thanks to MISSIONCODEZ's list, i just bought a few more 'sealed/new' Elite Hammer titles.

Got

PROM NIGHT from ELite (not a hammer title! ;) )
THE MUMMY's SHROUD
THE WITCHES

Agent Z
02-07-2003, 09:04 PM
THE MUMMY's SHROUD

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! (I think ya beat me to the punch on that auction! Doh!) :p

Until I find more sources, here is the Hammer A-Z list:

Hammer A-Z (http://www.hammerfilms.com/vaults/filmography/hammer_a_z.html)

What I would suggest is that if you see a film on the list that intrigues you, then do a search on the film itself at the imdb and check for laserdisc details for laserdisc release information.

MISFITZ
02-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Well, i guess to keep 'the movement alive' in this section of the message board. I'll just add I snagged another Hammer Title. This time Roan's Satanic Rites of Dracula.

Paff
02-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Since we're on the subject, let's list our Hammer LDs.

My collection:

Horror of Dracula
Brides of Dracula
Dracula AD 1972
Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

Evil of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

Nightmare/Kiss of the Vampire.

Damn...I gotta get crackin. Are The Mummy's Shroud/
The Reptile/The Witches any good?
I do wanna get some of those Elite LDs, but it gets expensive...

MISFITZ
02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Yeah, when i checked my account this morning, i was like... :eek1: It DOES get expensive!

Didn't realize it was Christmas in February for me. :rolleyes: :cry:

The Reptile and The Mummy's Shroud as movies are "ok". I like them. But i've read numerous comments on them and having them labeled as Hammer's weaker releases. If you were asking about the quality, the name ELITE says it all.

I have not seen THE WITCHES yet, but the description sounds like Suspiria to me.

Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires is one i want VERY BAD!! I've heard nothing but great things about it, and have held off viewing it till i get my hands on my own copy.

As for my collection, it's small but...

ELITE:
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
Plague of the Zombies (1966)
Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966)
The Reptile (1966)
The Devil's Own/The Witches (1966)
The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
The Devil's Bride/The Devil Rides Out (1968)

ROAN:
The Abominable Snowman
Satanic Rites of Dracula

I'm really wanting to get the VAMPIRE LOVERS on DVD. It was actually the "series" that got me into Hammer Films. And i'm also wanting THE MUMMY and LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES. Either of them can be on DVD or LD, but the VAMPIRE LOVERs films, i'm gonna go ahead and go with the DVD.

P.S. The main reason i've been getting these on LD is cuz of the price. I have no ill will towards the DVD versions other than they are double (and sometimes TRIPLE) what the LD price is.

wago70
02-11-2003, 05:30 PM
I found a mint condition disc of the Pioneer special edition of MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. Wow - the picture on this is simply amazing - sharp and colorful! Got it at a used record store for $9.99. Also picked up mint (as in the gatefold still had stiffness to it) condition discs of : HALLOWEEN (Criterion CAV) and Re-Animator for $9.99 each. At AMEOBA in San Francisco, I found: VERTIGO Sign. Ed. for $9.99 (another near mint copy), POLTERGEIST Box set for $9.99, I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE for $12.99 (I'm shocked at the razor sharp picture on this disc - it looks wonderful and looks like it was hardly played). Good choices, non?

Agent Z
02-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

Man....I didn't even know that there was a laserdisc release for this little classic! I checked the IMDB and there were no specs reported for a laserdisc version......and I have never seen it up for auction, so I assumed long ago that it just never came out on laserdisc. Very cool......very cool indeed.........:)

MISFITZ
02-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Damn wago70! You got some great disc too. And those prices! AWESOME! The Poltergeist box set is just awesome. I find the sound to be better than the DVD. Plus the extras are better if i remember right. And for $9 bucks! WOW!!

The others are disc i would've picked up for that price too. Halloween and Re-Animator specifically. Even if I owned the DVD counter parts.

In my opinion thats a fun and good pick up.

Paff
02-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires:

It was done by the Roan group. The Anchor Bay DVD
is a direct port of this Laser. It's got both versions,
Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, and Seven Brothers meet Dracula. It comes in a very nice gatefold sleeve. Also, the Peter Cushing reading is on one of the analog tracks, which is a better option than on the DVD, where you're stuck with a still picture, and you can't fast forward or reverse it.

Oh, and what's the verdict on The Lost Continent? Any good?

mcchrist
02-11-2003, 09:11 PM
The Lost Continent is a great one, a tad on the humorous side though. I missed out on this one a month or so ago, I never bothered to check the LD stack at one of the stores as it looked like they hadn't gotten anything new, and then I see some brat up at the counter buying a factory sealed copy of this for $8 :mad:

wago70
02-12-2003, 06:43 PM
That's the thing about these used record stores in a city like San Francisco - you have to act fast. It seemed like I merely blinked and missed out on THE HUNGER, BARON BLOOD/LISA&DEVIL, CARRIE (Criterion), POLYESTER...yes, they went between $9.99 and $14.99. Oh well, you just never know what you're going to run across - even several cool Japanese imports have been spotted (and appropriately snapped up as well) like: LIFEFORCE, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE and all the once-rare Argento flicks.
I'm currently on the look-out for a mint condition of SUSPIRIA since my Image disc was lost out to harsh speckling a few years ago. Any leads?

Paff
02-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by wago70
I'm currently on the look-out for a mint condition of SUSPIRIA since my Image disc was lost out to harsh speckling a few years ago. Any leads?

My man Ross (once again, http://www.rossexchange.com) has a copy for $10. He'll have checked the disc itself for rot or speckling. If you want, I'll see what the cover looks like this weekend.

Agent Z
02-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Paff, that LOTSGV laserdisc sounds great and I can't find SQUAT on the net about it....not even a crumb (besides what you posted). I'm holding out to find the laserdisc before I give up and take home that awful AB DVD cover art.....

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305183392.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

P.S. I love ya Anchor Bay, but DAYUMN! Why did you guys decide on THAT cover!?!?

MISFITZ
02-14-2003, 04:12 PM
Damn! I missed out yet AGAIN on the LD i want bad.

THe CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE of...

Revenge of the Creature from the Black Lagoon

and

The Creature Walks Among Us

It's at $32 now with 9 minutes and i just can't see myself paying more it. I'll continue to hope i can find it cheaper on Ebay or that Universal will release them on DVD with the same treatment they did on the other films.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Paff
02-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Ha! Go pound sand 'fitz! I got a copy of Plague of the Zombies too!

....ok...I paid more than you did....but, we both have copies now. We're both happy. Pretty cool, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3311107487

mcchrist
02-15-2003, 09:38 AM
I found a factory sealed copy of the Maniac Director's cut today for $10. I have it on hold, but haven't picked it up yet.

Paff
02-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Paff, that LOTSGV laserdisc sounds great and I can't find SQUAT on the net about it....not even a crumb (besides what you posted). I'm holding out to find the laserdisc before I give up and take home that awful AB DVD cover art.....

P.S. I love ya Anchor Bay, but DAYUMN! Why did you guys decide on THAT cover!?!?

So, you like this cover more then?:

http://members.aol.com/devilpaff/images/7bros.jpg

MISFITZ
02-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Yeah, i usually browse the LD HORROR section on EBAY when its slow at work. And its been slow lately. And i saw PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES back up. I checked the price to see if it was priced good and was gonna send ya an email, but when i saw who the high bidder was at that point, i saw i didn't need to. ;)

Cool man. I'm glad you got a hold of it and for a still good price!

jscott
02-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Sorry if I'm going off-topic from the Hammer posts, but I got the Japanese LD of They Live last week. It is letterboxed, but I believe that some of the left side of the frame is cropped out (At the begining, when it shows John Carpenter's They Live, you see "ohn Carpenter's hey Live"). Also, the transfer has a high contrast level that's a little distracting. Overall, I was happy to have only paid $30 for it, as opposed to $60+ for the OOP Image DVD.

Anyone know if an American, widescreen Laserdisc has been released?

Dave
02-16-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by jscott
Sorry if I'm going off-topic from the Hammer posts, but I got the Japanese LD of They Live last week. It is letterboxed, but I believe that some of the left side of the frame is cropped out (At the begining, when it shows John Carpenter's They Live, you see "ohn Carpenter's hey Live"). Also, the transfer has a high contrast level that's a little distracting. Overall, I was happy to have only paid $30 for it, as opposed to $60+ for the OOP Image DVD.

Anyone know if an American, widescreen Laserdisc has been released?

There's never been an American widescreen disc; only P&S. For $30 you could have just bought the R2 PAL SE DVD of They Live.

jscott
02-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Dave
There's never been an American widescreen disc; only P&S. For $30 you could have just bought the R2 PAL SE DVD of They Live.

I have a Konka DVD player (KD1800U) that has a hack to make it multi-regional, but I don't know if it'll convert PAL to NTSC, so I'm still not sure if I have multi-regional/PAL to NTSC- capability.

Agent Z
02-18-2003, 10:38 AM
So, you like this cover more then?:

http://members.aol.com/devilpaff/images/7bros.jpg

That's like asking "Does the ocean have water?" Are you kidding?! That laserdisc cover blows the AB cover away! It's not even close! I haven't even seen that poster art before! I WILL have this one day....oh yes I will! (Cue Evil Laughter)

Dave
02-19-2003, 01:24 AM
I've been back in an LD buying mood lately. I'm watching a few on ebay, though I won't say what as I don't want you fools buying them from under me. I did just pickup Criterion's The Game SE LD. I love that movie, and I think it's highly unlikely we'll ever see a Game SE DVD, Criterion or otherwise. :( But hey, that's why I picked up the LD! So now I have Game DTS LD, Game Criterion LD, and I want to pickup The Game Japanese R2 DVD for 16x9 playback. D'oh!!!!

Man, The Game really got shafted on DVD here in the US.

wago70
02-26-2003, 06:06 PM
I went to the used Record store again this weekend and walked away with (paying $9.99 each, of course): SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN - glossy jacket, seemingly un-touched disc; 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (Pioneer Spec. Edition - sadly no extras) is wonderful disc and the picture is nice and sharp; INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (great-looking Republic version - widescreen, interview with Kevin McCarthy and trailer - all for $7.95). Also I grabbed a used DVD of INVADERS FROM MARS - it looks nowhere near as nice as the above lasers, but then this film has had a rough history.

Paff
02-27-2003, 09:21 PM
So, did you get the 7 Golden Vamps disc I directed you towards, MCODEZ?

I just got my Plague of the Zombies LD, and I love it. What great packaging. I have GOT to get the rest of the Elite Hammers now.

Agent Z
02-28-2003, 10:59 AM
So, did you get the 7 Golden Vamps disc I directed you towards, MCODEZ?

Two words: "Hell" and "Yeah" (and preferably in that order)! :) :)

I was surprised by how easily I won the auction. I bookmarked the item just minutes after ebay started listing the laserdisc ....and I watched it just sit on one bid all week long. Then came that dreaded FINAL HOUR that can be nerve-wracking, with people waiting until the last minute to sneak a bid in. Thankfully, I didn't have to get into one of those "6 bids in the final minute" struggles that I've lost out on items with before (including a LD player that I lost within the last five seconds :( ).

BTW, did anybody in here (*looking in Dave's direction*) pick up the Japanese LD of FRIDAY THE 13TH:A NEW BEGINNING? That release featured the rare poster art on the LD cover with Tommy holding a machete and Jason's mask looming in the background. I dropped it off my "watch" list the day before, as I didn't feel like paying the $10 shipping from Sweden.

Dave
02-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I saw that Friday 5 disc too. I hate that sequel so much, even the cooler artwork couldn't justify buying it. Not to mention the fact that it's in P&S.

wago70
03-06-2003, 05:06 PM
I scored an awesome set on eBay: The Godzilla Death Chronicles box set which is 8 films in a "special version" (basically up to 20 min. of boring stuff taken out - the monster stuff is unedited). The films look GREAT! Especially DESTROY ALL MONSTERS which is so colorful and vibrant it makes the DVD look faded and old. The films featured: GODZILLA VS. KING KONG, MOTHRA, GHIDRAH, G VS. THE SEA MONSTER, G VS. MOTHRA, DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, G VS. MONSTER ZERO and SON OF GODZILLA.
Each disc has the feature and trailer and a collection of stills of that particular film.

Paff
03-06-2003, 05:18 PM
I've never been a big Godzilla fan though. I do like the Mothra movies just because of the twin princesses (anime geek reference: The actresses who played them are named Yumi and Emi Ito. The twins in The Irresponsible Captain Tylor are named Yumi and Emi as well. Japanese in-joke for ya there).

Also, Mie Hama, who played Kissy Suzuki in You Only Live Twice is in King Kong vs. Godzilla. I'm not sure, but I think the other Bond girl from YOLT, Akiko Wakabayashi, is in KK vs Godzilla too.

MISFITZ
03-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Picked up the Stepfather. I love the film. Have no idea what aspect ratio i'll get when i receive it.

The thing was I placed my bid just to fuck around sorta. I forgot i bid on it even though i think it was just 11 hours from ending. The next morning I checked my email and saw i'm the proud owner of this film.

Who gives a fuck, i won it for $2.99 + $3.00 shippin.

Like i said, i love the film, but i just hope it's not all shitty. Is the DVD cumin around the corner??

Paff
03-08-2003, 02:01 AM
Basically, The Stepfather LD is the same as the VHS transfer, the only improvement you get is from the higher quality format, and the non-degradation over time.

But it's not "Re-mastered for LD" or anything like that. Yes, a DVD would be nice.

wago70
03-10-2003, 11:05 PM
Courtesy of Big Emma - a coupla sci-fi classics! I got the CAV edition of WAR OF THE WORLDS and the Universal LD of THIS ISLAND EARTH (complete with Trailer and Still File - both missing from the out of print DVD). The color and picture on both of those were just amazing...esp War of the Worlds (to me, one of the scariest/creepiest films ever made - and a little timely in my eyes - replace the aliens with terrorists...anyway good flick!)
Since I was sick this weekend, I stayed up all night Saturday with the above flicks along with viewings of TROG, I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE and ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN. All nice looking lasers esp. TROG which is razor sharp.

Sam
03-12-2003, 03:21 AM
Just picked up:

The Freshman SEALED
Juice SEALED
Unborn
The Visitors (80s Horror cheese)
The Vanishing (93 version)
Vice Versa (Fred Savage!)
Halloween: The Curse of Mike Myers (the DVD sucks)
Red Corner DTS
Mrs. Doubtfire: Collector's Edition
The Mummy's Shroud (Hammer Collection)

Not bad, if I must say so. That'll set me back about $60 or so.

wago70
03-17-2003, 04:46 PM
I really missed out on these purchases:
all the Encore LD's of the Universal Horror Films (Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Creature/Black Lagoon and a couple of others) for only $2.99 each (used, but really good condition). I made the mistake of leaving the store and then after deciding to buy them, went back and they were all gone except for Dracula. So I have Dracula on LD and it looks pretty nifty - don't have the DVD to compare, but it looks decent.
I also bought the box set to ALIEN for only $5.95. I have this already, but I bought it used in 1993 for $70 (cheap for back then for this set). The box was scuffed and "loose" and the booklet had been handled too much by those who rented the set. So, this being only $5.95 and the box and booklet were ultra shiny and new-ish and the discs looked like they were never watched...not a scratch or blemish on them! Also, none of the discs have any signs of laser rot so I guess I scored okay which this film. I have many versions of ALIEN and don't mind a bit.

Paff
03-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Aw, you're killing me man. I'd have bought those Universals in a heartbeat. Right now, Bride o Frank is very high on my LD to-buy list.

I only wish I could say I'm the one who snatched them from you, but alas, it was not me.

wago70
03-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Bigemma's is still listing a sealed Bride of Frankenstien. Check it out. :D

Sam
04-16-2003, 02:21 AM
Some fairly rare for LD finds for me:

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
End of Days
The Thin Red Line

Dave
04-16-2003, 05:39 PM
Thin Red Line isn't rare. I suppose AP and EOD are, since they had smaller press runs. I know TRL did too, but the Japanese disc can be found fairly cheap.

My latest purchases: Tales from the Darkside Vol. 1 - Vol. 5

chrishicks
04-18-2003, 05:08 AM
I haven't really been able to pick up many discs lately due to trying to pay off all my credit cards. It is really hard to pass on some of the titles I come across. But its the price I have to pay for trying to get out of debt.:cry:

wago70
04-19-2003, 02:18 AM
I hear ya - I'm there myself now. Oh well - the only NON-purchase I ever regretted to this day was THE FRIGHTENERS Special Edition Box set. There I was at Virgin Mega stores staring at four copies on the shelf and saying to myself, "Nah, I'll save money if I order from Ken Cranes instead..."
It turns out, KenCranes was out of stock, the film went OUT OF PRINT (I never understood why films go out of print - how in the HELL do they expect us to buy everything in the first month or so???) and Virgin sold out. ***sigh***

Dave
04-20-2003, 02:38 PM
I hear ya - I'm there myself now. Oh well - the only NON-purchase I ever regretted to this day was THE FRIGHTENERS Special Edition Box set. There I was at Virgin Mega stores staring at four copies on the shelf and saying to myself, "Nah, I'll save money if I order from Ken Cranes instead..."
It turns out, KenCranes was out of stock, the film went OUT OF PRINT (I never understood why films go out of print - how in the HELL do they expect us to buy everything in the first month or so???) and Virgin sold out. ***sigh***

Well, towards the end of LD, all titles pretty much went out of print the day they were released. I mean, most titles could never get enough reorders to justify another pressing of even 500 titles. And towards the real end, most titles couldn't get the 500 titles to justify a single pressing. The only exceptions in regards to repressings were huge titles like Saving Private Ryan (primarily because there was no DVD at the time) and Star Wars: EP1 import (also no DVD at the time).

I tried like hell to get a repressing of The Frighteners. I contacted Pioneer and they said they had about 200 reorders for that set. I posted on alt.video.laserdisc and various HT web sites that people should order it if they have even a remote interest in owning it. Thing is, I don't think Pioneer had must interest in pressing any more regardless. $50 for a 4-disc box set was unheard of, and I'm sure they couldn't have made much money since only 500-1000 were pressed to begin with.

Anyway, a few months after me contacting Pioneer they announced the set was officially OOP and would never be repressed. Bastards.

Hellbilly
04-21-2003, 10:02 PM
My "last" purchase was Evil Dead SE, but that was some years ago :(

jscott
04-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Sam
Some fairly rare for LD finds for me:

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
End of Days
The Thin Red Line

Does your Austin Powers LD have the Comedy Central documentary Canned Ham: The Dr. Evil Story? If not, then I'll pick up the DVD (it's an easter egg on the DVD).

Dave
04-24-2003, 11:22 PM
The Austin Powers LD is bare bones (the sequel is, anyway).

Towards the end of LD everything that did manage to get released was essentially bare bones. And that is exactly what Image and Pioneer were doing - throwing us bones. Deep Blue Sea, Austin Powers, End of Days, etc. - all had SE DVDs, all were bare bones LDs.

What were some of the last SE lasers? I know there was The Matrix, Blair Witch, The Sixth Day (in Japan - had all of the SE DVD extras), Sixth Sense (also in Japan).

Blade
04-28-2003, 05:58 PM
I am new to the laserdisc game, but I think I got some good deals if you ask me. I got these titles:

- Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition (the one with DD 5.1 and black cover) - $26
- Re-Animator 10th An. Ed. (Elite) - $5
- Hellraiser III (widescreen with documentary) - $5
- A Fistfull of Dynamite (great Sergio Leone western, letterbox long version) - $5

I can also get the Dracula Criterion Collection for $20. Is this worth the high price (or isn't that a high price)? There are some great extra's on there, allthough I recently bought the Superbit DVD.

Dave
04-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Blade:

Be careful on the Criterion Dracula, as there are two versions. One is essentially barebones (I think it has a doc. on it, though) and the other is a 3-disc SE. You want the 3-disc SE. It is worth it, BTW (see my review on this site).

Star Wars SE box is interesting. After TPM hit theaters, the price skyrocketed. Now that everyone seems to know that at least the SEs are going to hit DVD, the LD box price has plummeted. I'm not much of a Star Wars fan either way. I bought the last THX releases of the original trilogy when they dropped to $10.00 each, but I ended up trading them. Amusingly enough, those have now increased in value since Lucas doesn't seem to have any intention of releasing the original trilogy onto DVD.

Blade
04-28-2003, 07:08 PM
I'll always hang on to those Star Ways LD's, because I LOVE laserdisc packaging. Some covers are beautifull. The Dracula laserdisc is the 3-disc edition, so I guess I'll buy it.

Dave
04-28-2003, 07:16 PM
The picture isn't that good on the Criterion LD, but the extras are worth $20.00 no doubt. Of course, you're talking to someone who is a big fan of the movie. That Criterion LD will never hit DVD (well, more than likely it won't). Columbia was supposed to release an SE years ago, but it seem to have been canned or indefinitely delayed.

Blade
04-29-2003, 07:33 PM
Today I got Lifeforce (extended European version) and Starship Troopers for $10 each. Nice

Dave
04-29-2003, 07:39 PM
I was thinking about picking up the Japanese Starship Troopers LD. It's gatefold and has a gorgeous jacket. I can get it for about $35.00. I have the SE DVD, the 2-disc SE DVD, but you can never get enough Troopers. I love that movie, and I've loved it since it hit theaters. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

wago70
04-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Any Gamera fans here? I just watched these Import LD's: Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera vs. Guiron. In widescreen (I mean really WIDE screen - the image is wider than the usual 2.35:1 flick) and the picture on these are very, very sharp and clean and the color is pretty good. No doubt newer re-mastered versions would look better, but for such early-produced LD's they rival some DVDs to my eyes.

jscott
04-30-2003, 07:01 PM
I didn't pay for it, but I scored The Beatles Anthology LD set, cause my Dad bought the new DVD release of it, and passed down the LD boxset to me

Dave
04-30-2003, 11:03 PM
Any Gamera fans here? I just watched these Import LD's: Gamera vs. Zigra and Gamera vs. Guiron. In widescreen (I mean really WIDE screen - the image is wider than the usual 2.35:1 flick) and the picture on these are very, very sharp and clean and the color is pretty good. No doubt newer re-mastered versions would look better, but for such early-produced LD's they rival some DVDs to my eyes.

Not a huge fan, but I do have the Synapse release of the first Gamera movie. It's a great disc.

Blade
05-05-2003, 02:32 PM
I just got the following 2 titles from Ebay:

Hellraiser Deluxe Collector's Editition - $41
That's alot of money for a laserdisc, but it's probably my favourite horror movie of all time, so I'm a big fan, and a signed copie of Hellraiser is woth it for me.

Nightmare On Elm Street The Special Collector's Edition - $15
Great cover and some extra's that are not on the dvd, plus I didn't pay to much I think.

bigdaddyhorse
05-05-2003, 10:57 PM
$15 is a good price for the NOES LD. It seems to fluctuate wildly in price. I got mine for about $15, but the copy on ebay before that got about $40!
I've been trying to get one of those Hellraiser sets, but don't wanna spend the $ they're commanding.

Paff
05-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Yeah. I'd agree. $15 for that Elm Street disc is a steal. I wanna get one myself someday. Of course, I'll have to keep my standard edition, seeing as it was signed by Heather Langenkamp and all...

And the Hellraiser box is a real nice piece of work. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but I think if you are, it's a must-have.

Mortis
05-05-2003, 11:23 PM
The only LDs I ever bought were from someone on here a while back. I got them all for like $16 shipped. I may have gotten another, but I haven't looked at them for a while, so I'm not sure.

Zombie (x2)
Demons
Demons 2
Tenebre
Les Miserables (He threw it in. I don't know what it is.)

jscott
05-06-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Mortis
Zombie (x2)

Does this mean you have two copies of Zombie? Are they the Roan Group special editions? You want to come off of one of them? PM me, and we'll make arrangements.

Mortis
05-06-2003, 02:58 AM
They are the Roan Group SEs, but I gave one of them to a buddy of mine a while back.

wago70
05-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Did anyone ever get the Japanese editions of ZOMBIE? They go for big bucks on eBay and I want one!

Paff
05-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Did anyone ever get the Japanese editions of ZOMBIE? They go for big bucks on eBay and I want one!

really...

I once had one of the Japanese editions. It was called "Sanguelia". That the one you're talking about?

I ended up selling it back to the store I bought it from for $10. Ugh.

But, it's a pretty crappy version. Doesn't hold a candle to the Roan disc.

Aceman
05-09-2003, 04:55 PM
I will make a copy of any LD I have to DVD!! And I have alot of rare ones! I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder! Picture comes out beutiful! :evil:
I will be making LD copies of "Scarecrows" onto DVD. This is the Unrated version! I just got it!

wago70
05-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Paff didn't care for the Sanguelia disc? How was the transfer and was it letterboxed? I wanted the two disc version (English version and Italian with still file at the end of the credits.) Came with snip of film and gatefold jacket. Towa did the same thing with Gates of Hell but that transfer was waaaayyy to dark.

Paff
05-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Paff didn't care for the Sanguelia disc? How was the transfer and was it letterboxed? I wanted the two disc version (English version and Italian with still file at the end of the credits.) Came with snip of film and gatefold jacket. Towa did the same thing with Gates of Hell but that transfer was waaaayyy to dark.

I think we're talking about different discs. The Sanguelia disc I saw was pretty crummy. Single disc version, letterboxed with the red borders. It's also done at the top of the screen, with the Japanese subtitles on the bottom.
I saw some of the other Japanese Fulci LDs on E-Bay, and the disc I saw is not done by the same company.

Paff
05-30-2003, 12:14 AM
OK, I've been going a little wacky the last few weeks on E-Bay with some laserdiscs:

Universal Horror:
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein

Hammer:
The Devil Rides Out

Tai Seng Hong Kong:
Millionaire's Express
She Shoots Straight
Royal Warriors

OK, time to go sell more blood

wago70
05-30-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm currently on the lookout for a sealed Cat in the Brain LD as well as the extras-packed Cannibal Ferox (with the record and sick bag).

X-human
06-07-2003, 05:28 AM
Greed
Cyberpunk (Docu.)

Agent Z
06-07-2003, 10:37 AM
I'm currently on the lookout for a sealed Cat in the Brain LD

All I can say is "Good Luck"....I rarely see it up for bid on eBay...and the last opened copy I saw went a week or two ago for at least $70......................

Paff
06-07-2003, 12:11 PM
All I can say is "Good Luck"....I rarely see it up for bid on eBay...and the last opened copy I saw went a week or two ago for at least $70......................

Wow.

Big Emma's had a few sealed copies for like $14 last year. That's where Dave and I both bought our copies.

Dave
06-07-2003, 12:30 PM
I sold mine on ebay for like $25 or $30. Like most discs, the prices always fluctuate on ebay. Just keep an eye out, don't overpay, and you'll eventually get it for a fair price.

Blade
07-06-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Blade
I just got the following title from Ebay:

Hellraiser Deluxe Collector's Editition - $41
That's alot of money for a laserdisc, but it's probably my favourite horror movie of all time, so I'm a big fan, and a signed copie of Hellraiser is woth it for me.

Well guess what, I got another one of Ebay! I guess I am a Hellraiser collector. This one cost me about $30, so I consider that quite a bargain. Wow I have two:)

Paff
07-27-2003, 04:41 AM
Well, thought I'd bring this forum back to life, as today I was at my local used DVD shop and there were a few used LDs from the owner's personal collection on the shelf.

Mostly crappy commons like Showgirls and T2, but I was quite surprised to see the Roan LD of Blood and Black Lace. It's really a nice piece of work, worth buying for the cover art alone.

still lovin Laser....

Admin
07-27-2003, 09:22 PM
I traded robman in the For Sale/Trade forum some DVDs for TCM SE LD (I previous trade mine, but would like to acquire it again) and Jap. Monster Squad LD.

Dave
07-28-2003, 01:46 AM
It's interesting too because he told me Frighteners had been traded but Monster Squad and TCM were still available. If he was specifically out to screw, why would he say Frighteners had been traded? Weird.

wago70
07-28-2003, 05:14 PM
Although I have the TARGET EARTH DVD, I still walked out of Amoeba Records with a mint copy on laserdisc for 7.99. I also bought a sealed copy of Quatemass 2 for 9.99.
I also seen about 3 copies of the Image letterboxed release of SCANNERS. Does this mean there's a defect or do you think everyone simply has the MGM DVD?

Paff
07-28-2003, 08:00 PM
I also seen about 3 copies of the Image letterboxed release of SCANNERS. Does this mean there's a defect or do you think everyone simply has the MGM DVD?

Yeah, I don't think the laser of Scanners is all that special. BUT, I still wouldn't mind a copy if you grab an extra one next time you see it. How much are they?

X-human
07-29-2003, 01:56 AM
I just picked up the Elite disc of A Nightmare on Elm Street, which I hear has Tina's death totally uncut.

bigdaddyhorse
07-29-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by X-human
I just picked up the Elite disc of A Nightmare on Elm Street, which I hear has Tina's death totally uncut.

Not in the movie, but it's in the supplements. Awesome LD!

wago70
07-29-2003, 05:08 PM
The Scanners LD is $9.99 used - but the jackets looked to be in great condition.

Paff
07-30-2003, 07:59 PM
The Scanners LD is $9.99 used - but the jackets looked to be in great condition.

Well, if there's still a copy there next time you go, snag me a copy and I'll pay you for it (or make a trade). Don't go out of your way or anything, if it's there next time, cool, if not, I'll get it another day.

I did just win a copy of A Blade in The Dark off of E-Bay, since the seller was offering free shipping, and it's getting to the point where you spend more on shipping E-Bay discs than on the disc itself.

Agent Z
08-04-2003, 10:14 AM
As much as I have tried to cut back on buying laserdiscs (due to my dvd want list), I still keep finding some great bargains online:

STAR WARS (Original Film, THX, WS, FAC-SLD) - $13.00, shipped. I really believe, that when push comes to shove, Lucas will release the original trilogy on dvd......but that decision is going to be many years down the road at best.................

HEAVY METAL (THX, WS) - $10.00, shipped. The seller also threw in a copy of the movie book with the laserdisc!

JURASSIC PARK (THX, WS) - $8.50, shipped. I can do without the supplements......

X-human
08-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Puppet Master 4 & Puppet Master 5

Paff
08-04-2003, 11:34 PM
HEAVY METAL (THX, WS) - $10.00, shipped. The seller also threw in a copy of the movie book with the laserdisc!

Make sure you check that one for laser rot, as I believe that was a Columbia/Tri-Star disc.

Agent Z
08-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Paff...
Make sure you check that one for laser rot, as I believe that was a Columbia/Tri-Star disc.

http://www.akri.org/research/images/doh.jpg

I had forgotten all about the Columbia Curse! And after checking the newsgroups out, it seems that HEAVY METAL is on many "rotter" lists! My money has already been sent too! I'm not feeling good about this one now....:nervous:

wizzer
08-10-2003, 06:22 AM
first ld's on the shelf

slugs
motel hell
seed people
student bodies

wizzer
08-10-2003, 07:19 PM
the lion king letterbox edition for 5 bucks. my daughter has never seen this movie and the only one i ever see on shelves is part 2. the disc sounds great!

wago70
08-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Paff:
You didn't happen to swing by Amoeba San Francisco have ya: Both Scanners LD's are gone - I went looking to buy one for ya and they were sold. Also gone were two SUSPIRIA LD's (I wanted one since they were both in mint condition) and the Japanese RUSH CHRONICLES LD - I'll never "wait" again!

Paff
08-12-2003, 03:51 AM
Paff:
You didn't happen to swing by Amoeba San Francisco have ya: Both Scanners LD's are gone - I went looking to buy one for ya and they were sold. Also gone were two SUSPIRIA LD's (I wanted one since they were both in mint condition) and the Japanese RUSH CHRONICLES LD - I'll never "wait" again!

Twasn't me

But damn, you should never waffle on import music LDs, they're rare as hell.
And Suspiria is a must-own LD for any fan. The soundtrack is quite different than the DVD, and you should listen to both to see which one you prefer. It's not a bad looking LD, either.

Agent Z
08-14-2003, 10:18 AM
UPDATE: Ok....so I emailed the seller about the HEAVY METAL LD and he checks it out and emails me back. Sure enough....ROTTED! At least the seller was honest about it. I offered to still buy the movie book off him if he agreed to also give a refund for the adjusted shipping. He did and the movie book is on the way.......so it ended-up pretty good actually......

(starts talking in a monotone, steady, trance-like voice).......T-h-a-n-k-s---f-o-r-----t-h-e---h-e-a-d-s--u-p---o-h-----g-r-e-a-t----H-y-p-n-o-T-o-a-d.................

Paff
08-18-2003, 06:08 AM
All hail the Hypnotoad!

Well, I just made a decent E-Bay score of some Hong Kong movies:

Bride With White Hair
Bride With White Hair 2
Deadful Melody (Brigitte Lin and Yuen Biao)
Executioners (Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung, and Anita Mui)
Zu: Warriors From Magic Mountain
Butterfly and Sword (more Michelle Yeoh)

X-human
08-23-2003, 02:57 AM
Bad Channels
China O'Brien II
Dollman
House of Usher, The (1988)
Netherworld

About a buck each.

Paff
08-31-2003, 02:30 AM
More Hong Kong just added to my LD collection: Michelle Yeoh's Wonder 7

Agent Z
09-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Two unopened X-Files discs: "The Blessing Way/Paper Clip" and "Squeeze/Tooms"

Because I don't feel like shelling out for the entire season boxsets just to get to the handful of episodes that I really want.

BTW, it's weird paying $5.00 for a still-sealed disc and getting it and noticing the original sale sticker on the plastic for $29.98....

Paff
09-11-2003, 02:23 AM
I have several X-Files LDs, 'cause I don't really like the series enough to buy box sets. I like single "monster" episodes, could care less about alien visitors or government conspiracies.

I own that Squeeze/Tooms disc (which is a perfect two-part story), as well as Anasazi/Humbug (the Jim Rose circus freaks episode), Conduit/Ice (The Thing-inspired episode), Irresistable/Die Hand Die Verletzt, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose/War of the Coprophages, and Herrenvolk/Home (possibly the most infamous X-Files episode

Yep, you can get 'em cheap, and if you're just a casual X-Files fan, it's definitely the way to go.

X-human
09-14-2003, 03:54 AM
King Kong w/ Commentary (Image)

wizzer
09-23-2003, 02:10 AM
aliens wide screen special edition box:) $7.00

X-human
09-27-2003, 11:22 PM
Scream Greats, Vol. 1: Tom Savini, Master of Horror Make-up

And TCM1 should be on it's way.

Paff
09-29-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by X-human
Scream Greats, Vol. 1: Tom Savini, Master of Horror Make-up

And TCM1 should be on it's way.

Those are good scores. I don't know if that Savini doc will ever make it to DVD, due to the films shown. Most of them are now owned by different companies.

And the TCM disc is a piece of work. Hopefully the cover is in good condition. I got one factory sealed a couple of years ago.

My latest E-Bay win? Tomorrow Never Dies, DTS

X-human
09-30-2003, 12:53 AM
Well it turns out the TCM LD is from another company called MPI Home Video, and if I had known someone else issued a LD I would have double checked.

The cover says, "All-New Restored Version - Uncut & Unedited" so I'll have to check it out maybe against the other LD or the DVD and see.

But that'll teach me, from now on I'll always ask for specific details on any LD/DVD/Etc..

Paff
09-30-2003, 01:51 AM
bleah. You definitely want the Elite version of TCM.

Numania
09-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Being an ultra newbie to LD's, I don't have any great purchases. However, I did pick up Eyes Without A Face. I love this movie, and I can't find it on dvd.

X-human
10-15-2003, 05:28 AM
Gamera (1956) & Gamera vs. Guiron Double Feature
Warlords w/ David Carradine

Paff
10-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Alien Resurrection DTS

Dave
10-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Alien Resurrection DTS

About time. :banana:

Of course, a DTS track will probably show up on the Quadrilogy set. On the other hand, even if it does it will be half bitrate and suck compared to the LD track.

Paff
10-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Of course, a DTS track will probably show up on the Quadrilogy set. On the other hand, even if it does it will be half bitrate and suck compared to the LD track.

There's just something about those DTS lasers that just rocks. Bitrate, whatever, I don't know. I still want to pick up a few more discs though. Currently I have 7:
Daylight
Jurassic Park
Strange Days
Tomorrow Never Dies
Boogie Nights
Alien Resurrection
In The Mouth of Madness

I'd still like to get 12 Monkeys, Mimic, Goldeneye, maybe The River Wild.

wizzer
10-16-2003, 11:21 PM
There's just something about those DTS lasers that just rocks. Bitrate, whatever, I don't know. I still want to pick up a few more discs though. Currently I have 7:
Daylight
Jurassic Park
Strange Days
Tomorrow Never Dies
Boogie Nights
Alien Resurrection
In The Mouth of Madness

i've seen about 5 different copies of the jurassic park box for 5.00. is this a good one to have?

Paff
10-16-2003, 11:44 PM
i've seen about 5 different copies of the jurassic park box for 5.00. is this a good one to have?

Actually, yes. I used to have that box set, but I gave it to a friend when I got the DTS version.

The box is CAV, and THX (Pro-Logic) sound, and is a damn fine sounding and looking disc, if you don't mind CAV Aerobics (getting up twice for disc swaps, even more if your player doesn't auto-flip).

Don't pay a lot for it, it must have been over-produced or something. I got mine at a Pioneer warehouse sale a few years ago, when you got a FREE copy if you purchased ANYTHING.

Dave
10-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Daylight
Jurassic Park
Strange Days
Tomorrow Never Dies
Boogie Nights
Alien Resurrection
In The Mouth of Madness

Lets see if I can recall all of my DTS lasers.

Halloween H20
Species
Game
Great Expectations (wife loves the movie)

I also just got ....

Frighteners DTS LD. Normally I wouldn't pay the higher price for this, but it was essentially an even trade because I sold my Dawn of the Day DVD for the same price.

Paff
10-21-2003, 11:09 PM
I thought you had more than that, Dave. Didn't you buy Daylight, fairly cheaply like I did. Not much of a movie, but damn it sounds good!

And congrats on the Frighteners pick-up. Playback Trading sold one on E-Bay a month or so ago, was that you? Someone did a Buy-It-Now for $40, damn good deal. I just watched the Pro-Logic LD of Frighteners a couple of months ago, and the sound rocked the house. Can't imagine how good the DTS would sound.

And this year, I'll be giving my DTS copy of In The Mouth of Madness a spin for my Halloween marathon. You really should try to grab a copy of that disc sometime Dave. Plus, give the movie another chance, it's one of Carpenter's best.

Paff
10-22-2003, 07:09 AM
Woo-hoo!

Just surfing the DTS discs from Playback Trading on E-Bay, and there was a copy of Mimic. I can't really afford to buy LDs right now, but there were no bids on it, so I threw a minimum bid ($19.95) just for the hell of it. And I won!!

Just a few more DTS Lasers on my want list now...

Dave
10-22-2003, 08:45 AM
No, that wasn't be on the Buy it Now Frighteners. Wish it was.

I had some more DTS lasers, but I traded a few in a deal months back. I shouldn't have, but it was a deal closer! :) But Daylight usually sells for nothing anyway. I do want to pick up some more eventually.

Paff
10-23-2003, 01:15 AM
Did you sell Blade, too?

That is one of the more expensive DTS discs, usually going for $75+
I'd say that, Titanic, and Austin Powers seem to be the most valuable DTS Lasers. Stuff like Great Expectations, Daylight, Volcano, and Boogie Nights seem to go pretty cheaply.

Dave
10-23-2003, 08:36 AM
Blade I sold. Not a huge fan of the movie and it's available on DTS DVD in Japan w/16x9 transfer. Only half bit-rate, but there's no sense in me sitting on $75 for a movie I won't even watch once a year. :) I have trouble holding onto rare discs. I just assume sell them and buy 5 DVDs for 10 LDs.

I had Titanic too, which is fantastic. I got that for around $50 from an HTF member. But again, not a big Titanic fan, so off it went. It's a shame, actually, because I'd like to listen to some of them with my new Snell system. I'm sure they'd be much better than before. Oh well. As it is, eventually I'll try to pick up some of the cheaper DTS LDs.

X-human
10-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Aliens, Dragons, Monsters and Me (Japanese)

Ray Harryhausen documentary from 1986.

Dave
10-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Well, for me, I managed to pick up some small LD storage cabinets (thanks Laserdog!!!) that only cost me $15 / each. I picked up 7 of them! I only need about 3, maybe 4 for future additions, for my lasers. So, we basically set them up in the living room, ditched the crappy bookshelf we had, and then used the remaining cubes for books and what not. It looks pretty good too.

It's funny. Now that I have easy access to my lasers, I've been watching them a lot more. Before they were up in this storage type cabinet we have in the apartment. It was always a pain to dig through them. This is great.

Vincent Pina
10-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Hey Dave, just curious.....how much did you pay for your Criterion laser of The Game?

Dave
10-27-2003, 08:50 PM
I think around $60 from a private seller. Criterion laesrs, especially ones that aren't on DVD, still sell for a premium. Game was one of their last lasers (Armageddon was actually the last, which is a poor way to go out), so it had a smaller pressing and is considered to be a bit rarer than other Criterion lasers.

BTW, someone on HTF was selling a copy for $70, which isn't a bad deal if you are interested. Check their software for sale forum if you are interested.

Vincent Pina
10-31-2003, 06:42 AM
Thanks, Dave. I've been actually hoping to snag one for under $50, but I don't know if it's going to happen. Guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

X-human
10-31-2003, 01:25 PM
Dracula's Daughter / The Ghost of Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein

'The Black Cat / The Raven,' 'The Invisible Ray' and 6 disc 'Thriller' TV show all got away though.

Dave
10-31-2003, 04:45 PM
I've picked up a few discs in the last few weeks.

Another Japanes LD - New Twilight Zone volume (3 more and I have the complete set of Season One, which is all that was released in Japan)

Got another Amazing Stories volume, which means I have all of the US releases now.

Doctor Mordrid

Mandroid

Howling 2 ($8 - I want to see the movie, so this is an expensive rental for me)

Shruken Heads

Netherworld

Bad Channels

Obviously I'm on a quest to get all the Full Moon lasers. What's nice is they sell for dirt. I'll get the lasers even for the older Full Moon movies that hit DVD (Castle Freak, Puppet Master series), since the lasers are much high quality due to Full Moon's poor/cheap DVD authoring.

Vincent Pina
10-31-2003, 05:59 PM
Howling 2 ($8 - I want to see the movie, so this is an expensive rental for me)

Obviously I'm on a quest to get all the Full Moon lasers. What's nice is they sell for dirt.

Howling 2....hey, that's the one with the hairy naked werewolves making out. Ha, hope you enjoy it.

As for the Full Moon lasers selling for dirt, I sure can't seem to find the Meridian disc very cheap. I've only seen it on ebay twice, and each time it sold for over $40. Dammit!

Dave
10-31-2003, 08:09 PM
Howling 2....hey, that's the one with the hairy naked werewolves making out. Ha, hope you enjoy it.

As for the Full Moon lasers selling for dirt, I sure can't seem to find the Meridian disc very cheap. I've only seen it on ebay twice, and each time it sold for over $40. Dammit!

Damn, I didn't think Meridian was on laser. All my search for its existence turned up empty. Are you certain it's on laser? If so, I'll hold out and hope I can find it. I was almost going to buy the VHS and archive it to DVD-R. Yuck.

For the most part, all Full Moon lasers sell for dirt. I guess if something is rare, then the sky's the limit. I sometimes see the Subspecies discs sell for high values ($30+), but with patience you can get them for < $10 each.

Update: Guess I should take my own advice and check the Laserdisc database. Meridian has indeed been released onto LD. Thanks for letting me know! Now you have more competition next time it hits epay.

Paff
10-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Full Moon lasers. What's nice is they sell for dirt. I'll get the lasers even for the older Full Moon movies that hit DVD (Castle Freak, Puppet Master series), since the lasers are much high quality due to Full Moon's poor/cheap DVD authoring.

I dunno. I have one Full Moon movie on both LD and DVD (Castle Freak), and it seems about the same on both.

Vincent Pina
10-31-2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks for letting me know! Now you have more competition next time it hits epay.

Should've kept my damn mouth shut..... :fuck:

Dave
10-31-2003, 11:40 PM
I dunno. I have one Full Moon movie on both LD and DVD (Castle Freak), and it seems about the same on both.

Perhaps it varied then. I know the Puppet Master DVDs were definitely inferior to the LDs. I guess that was the main comparison I did, since I owned both at one point. But, there are only a handful of Full Moon movies that are on LD and DVD, so it doesn't really matter either way. Must are on either one or the other, but very few are on both formats.

Dave
10-31-2003, 11:41 PM
Should've kept my damn mouth shut..... :fuck:

Dark Angel is another I was unsure of, but sure enough it is out there on LD.

X-human
11-02-2003, 08:27 PM
I've been on a bit a Full Moon hunt as well, picking them up for less than 5 bucks, which troubled me Dave when I saw your post in General because you've now created a new awareness of Full Moon on LD/VHS/DVD.

Oh well, just makes it more interesting.

Dave
11-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah, some of these movies aren't half bad either. I got Oblivion 2 yesterday and thought it was decent.

wizzer
11-02-2003, 10:21 PM
scored a copy of fire in the sky WS

also, i have a full moon LD up for trade in the trade thread if someone wants it

X-human
11-03-2003, 05:12 AM
I've just picked up Santa Sangre.

Dave
11-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Scored a few more keepers from Full Moon LDs.

Castle Freak
Oblivion
Creepozoids
Bad Channels
Meridian
Dark Angel

Sweeeeeeeeet. I'm getting there.

chrishicks
11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
I was watching/bidding on an auction for Subspecies 3 and ended up losing it because my wifes car broke down and I had to go pick her and the car up. I wasn't home when I was outbid. bummer.

X-human
11-10-2003, 01:59 AM
Doctor Mordrid
Necromancer

Vincent Pina
11-10-2003, 05:03 PM
So Dave, how much did you snag Meridian for?

Dave
11-10-2003, 08:29 PM
$60 shipped for Meridian and Dark Angel. A little more than I'd like to pay for Full Moon lasers, but both have pretty good ratings on IMBD (I've seen neither so I don't know if I like them or not) and they're obviously not all that easy to locate.

Dr. Mordrid is pretty good. I always enjoy the Video Zones. Everyone was talking about a possible sequel, but that never happened, obviously.

Agent Z
11-16-2003, 11:18 AM
I just put an order in for THE SENDER from http://www.laserblazer.com/ld.html....

I've been holding out for the dvd release (which I'm sure will be announced on Monday now that I put in the order.... :D )

It's not OAR, but I've been wanting to see this again.....and this copy was a cheapie.......I just hope it's not too banged-up.....

This is my first time dealing with Laser Blazer..........their site is pretty impressive...as are their prices.........I will post an update when the package arrives..... :banana:

geekcccp
11-16-2003, 04:12 PM
I recently picked up Castle Freak, Vertigo, and The 39 Steps: Criterion for a grand total of 12.50 at a cheesy Jersey flea market. Does anyone know any flea markets in the Philadelphia area that have LD's. Let me know.

chrishicks
11-17-2003, 01:49 AM
would anyone care to help me find the Subspecies flicks on LD? I am having a very hard time finding these. I have checked http://www.usedmoviefinder.com/ as well as ebay and I cannot find these. I would really appreciate the help. thanks.

bigdaddyhorse
11-18-2003, 02:22 PM
I just won Dr. Mordrid on ebay and should have it in a couple days. I've wanted to see this since seeing the trailer on my Puppetmaster dvd, but no place has it even for rent on cheap ass VHS.
Hope it is good, I've dug every movie I've seen Jeff Combs in so far (maybe not Caught Up so much, but he only had 2 short scenes in that), so when I saw the laser for auction I had to bid. Lucky it didn't go too high (about $15 after shipping) just in case this one sucks.
Looking forward to finally seeing it, I'll share my thoughts after I do.

Dave
11-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Dr. Mordrid is enjoyable. Maybe a 2 out of 4. Not great, but decent for Full Moon. It's a keeper, IMO.

X-human
11-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Jeffrey Combs rocks IMHO and so does any movie poorly based on Marvel characters. :D I've been hunting down Dr. Mordrid for about 6 months now, there was always just someone willing to pay more, but it's finally in my grasp. After I get Dark Angel I can relax a bit, since that along with Mordrid & Dollman were on my list of high wants, the rest of Full Moon I can bide my time for. Dark Angel is a really good movie, I saw it on cable years back and it really impressed and inspired me. Full Moon certainly has a way of casting actresses with a special something in their eyes.

Anyways, the Lugosi / Karloff paired double feature The Black Cat / The Raven came yesterday, also a bit of a pain in the ass to get my hands on.

Dave
11-20-2003, 06:50 PM
Jeffrey Combs rocks IMHO and so does any movie poorly based on Marvel characters. :D I've been hunting down Dr. Mordrid for about 6 months now, there was always just someone willing to pay more, but it's finally in my grasp. After I get Dark Angel I can relax a bit, since that along with Mordrid & Dollman were on my list of high wants, the rest of Full Moon I can bide my time for. Dark Angel is a really good movie, I saw it on cable years back and it really impressed and inspired me. Full Moon certainly has a way of casting actresses with a special something in their eyes.

Anyways, the Lugosi / Karloff paired double feature The Black Cat / The Raven came yesterday, also a bit of a pain in the ass to get my hands on.

I'm really looking forward to watching Meridian and Dark Angel. The lasers have shipped and I'm hoping to have them by Saturday, so I can watch them Saturday night.

My latest LD scores (all from the same seller):

Mandroid 1 and 2 (Invisible)
Cannibal Women
Trancers 5
Laserblast
Puppet Master 4 + 5
Sorority Babes in the Slime Bowl A Rama
Vampire Journals
Castle Freak
Test Tube Teens From The Year 2000
Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity

I think the whole batch cost me ~ $60. My wife happened to be around when I was bidding, and saw some of the jackets. She was like, "What the hell are you buying?" So I had to explain I want to collect all the Shadow / Full Moon / <Company name of the week> laserdiscs. This is a bigger task than I first anticipated. I'm done for a while, however, as my spending funds are depleted for the rest of the year.

I now have an extra copy of Dr. Mordrid if anyone wants it. It's worth about $5.00 + a few bucks shipping. Or I'd trade for a half decent DVD.

Update: I just tracked my package. It left the Springfield post office today (3 hours away), so I should definitely get it by Saturday. Sweeeeeeeeeeet. Dark Angel has like a 6.x rating on IMBD, which is incredibly unusual for Full Moon. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Dave
11-21-2003, 10:27 PM
would anyone care to help me find the Subspecies flicks on LD? I am having a very hard time finding these. I have checked http://www.usedmoviefinder.com/ as well as ebay and I cannot find these. I would really appreciate the help. thanks.

Subspecies 2 is up on the LD finder. $25 is expensive, though. Otherwise, keep checking on ebay. They do show from time to time.

bigdaddyhorse
11-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Peeped out Mordrid last night. It was airight IMO, just a nude scene and a few cussords away from being a "kiddie" movie really though.
Also watched The Frighteners "Fun" cut again, that one nevers gets old.
I came across this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3362796888&category=18850&rd=1) on ebay the other day. $250! The bootleg dvds that apartently are now cool to sell on ebay (they are there all the time, some with all the extras except commentary, I guess you can't do multipule audio tracks on dvd-r's?!?) haven't hurt the laserdisc set at all.
Thanks again Dave!

Paff
11-23-2003, 11:32 PM
From Big Emma's Halloween sale last month I got
Raven/Masque of the Red Death
Rasputin the Mad Monk
Cannibal Ferox

I forgot that Ferox includes a barf bag and 45rpm vinyl single, that was a nice little surprise

And yesterday I picked up Straw Dogs

Jason25
11-24-2003, 07:18 AM
From Big Emma's Halloween sale last month I got
Raven/Masque of the Red Death
Rasputin the Mad Monk
Cannibal Ferox

I forgot that Ferox includes a barf bag and 45rpm vinyl single, that was a nice little surprise

And yesterday I picked up Straw Dogs

Nice score Paff.

The Cannibal Ferox disc is awesome. I love the barf bag, very nice touch.

wizzer
11-26-2003, 04:04 PM
eyes of fie
dirtbike kid
cassandra

dirt bike kid was a score!! the other two were sleepers

X-human
11-27-2003, 03:03 AM
Dr. Mordrid is enjoyable. Maybe a 2 out of 4. Not great, but decent for Full Moon. It's a keeper, IMO.

I just finished watching it, and as a traditional SFX fan I must say that this is perhaps the best I've seen from Full Moon. The stop motion was quite good, besides a scene with a stop motion person. The optical effects are also very well done. The movie itself is pretty good, direction's pretty bland but the art direction is very Full Moon. There is a bit of a fuzzy logic to the plot and it gets real corny at the very end. I couldn't help but laugh.

The LD is really good too, there's a pretty extensive behind the scenes which explains a lot more of the SFX work than most of the other VideoZones I've seen do. There's also a segement with KBN with talks a lot about their SFX as well. Sure it's nothing new nore a step by step guide, but it's interesting none the less.

Dave
12-01-2003, 10:17 PM
For some reason, I've always been intrigued by David Allen after seeing how seemingly pissed he was during his Howling LD interview. I've enjoyed seeing a closer look at his work on several of the Full Moon video zones. And I agree - the stop motion with the person in it was weak.

As for recent LD purchases...

I just picked up Dark City DTS LD. What's nice about this disc is it has the two commentary tracks that the DVD has, whereas the AC-3 LD only has one commentary track.

I keep saying this, but I really do have to slow down on my purchases as of late. I'm half justifying it by the fact I'm working so much overtime this month. I've been doing good on not buying many DVDs. I just need to cut back on the lasers. The only other order I'm planning on placing, probably later this month, will be with Ross Exchange.

Paff
12-02-2003, 12:04 AM
The only other order I'm planning on placing, probably later this month, will be with Ross Exchange.

Which discs were you planning to purchase from Ross? (In case they're ones I've been eyeing....lol)

Actually, I just perused his list today, and he has a copy of the ultra rare documentary Hearts of Darkness, the making of Apocalypse Now. He still gets in some good ones...

Dave
12-05-2003, 07:33 PM
They had a couple of Full Moon discs I wanted. I may call them today, actually. I'll let you know how I make out.

chrishicks
12-05-2003, 08:05 PM
I've never used Ross before...what do they charge for shipping? how do they ship?

Dave
12-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Shipping is $5.00 + $1.00 per title. That's a bit expensive, IMO. Not crazy expensive, but they're are definitely profiting from shipping.

chrishicks
12-05-2003, 08:20 PM
wow!!! I guess if it's for something you really want though..

Paff
12-06-2003, 04:18 AM
Well, I've always said that Ross is definitely not the cheapest place, but his prices are consistant. In other words, if you got something like The Frighteners box set, he would charge his normal box set price, 1/2 of original list cost. For common titles, he's a little pricey, but for rarities you will get some great deals.

Also, his trade-IN price is a lot higher than most places that buy used discs. And remember that the discs are personally scanned for defects.

Finally, $5 doesn't seem that pricey. I doubt anyone on E-Bay ships for less than that. And I forgot what company he uses, but he's real particular about it, won't ship any other way.

Not too many people still actively buy and sell LDs, so don't knock it...

Dave
12-06-2003, 01:40 PM
I hear you, Paff. The whole reason I was going to buy a few discs from them, at $10.00 each, was to support an active LD seller. I also wanted to try out a few of their box set protectors. I could just wait it out on ebay, where most Full Moon LDs sell for $5.00 a whack. But, even so, the shipping charge turned me off a little. I'll still probably order from them, but I'm going to wait a few more weeks until I have some more funds.

chrishicks
12-06-2003, 03:42 PM
I don't mind paying that kind of price for shipping if it is something I want. I just remember what I used to pay at stores like Ken Cranes. I haven't shopped for LDs in awhile. my last order was with Big Emmas and I paid like $4.00 on 5 discs for shipping. I don't want to sound like I will not support a store because of a high shipping price.

wago70
12-10-2003, 08:51 PM
I went to Ameoba and traded about 5 discs in for one mint edition laserdisc of Criterion's THE RED SHOES. I know, not horror, but its a great film to have.
Since I have a new widescreen TV, I've been weeding out my LDs! I even have a current auction up on eBay with my hardly-used first player.
I'll probably get more DVDs instead, but some LD's look great using the zoom feature on my TV: EC's HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY looked just fine and dandy as did their THE BEYOND. Even the import full screen FRIDAY THE 13TH (this on my auction, too) looked cinematic.
Even though, I wish more DVDs were enhanced for widescreen TVs (ESPECIALLY: SCREAM, HALLOWEEN H20 and many others).

jscott
12-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Any LD's of special interest that are being weeded out? A link to your auctions possibly?

wago70
12-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Sure, go check it out at -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Viewitem&item=3064016279&category=3317&rd=1

But I bet you guys already have those titles!

patmcgahern
12-20-2003, 02:27 AM
Got, Death Wish 3, Rocketman and Metamorphosis. Still looking for Frighteners box set if any of you guys have it.
Thanks

Dave
12-30-2003, 10:36 PM
I scored a New Twilight Zone LD today off ebay. Sweet price of $16.00 + shipping. My contact in Japan wants $55 a whack for these. Umm, thanks but no thanks! I only need a few more to complete my set (Complete Season One), so I'll have patience and wait it out on epay.

Of course, once I finish the set, they'll announce the DVDs. But I wouldn't mind, as I've love to own Seasons Two and Three on DVD.

Jason25
12-30-2003, 11:34 PM
I scored a New Twilight Zone LD today off ebay. Sweet price of $16.00 + shipping. My contact in Japan wants $55 a whack for these. Umm, thanks but no thanks! I only need a few more to complete my set (Complete Season One), so I'll have patience and wait it out on epay.

Of course, once I finish the set, they'll announce the DVDs. But I wouldn't mind, as I've love to own Seasons Two and Three on DVD.

That is cool Dave.

The only LD I have purchased recently is The Beyond.

Paff
12-31-2003, 12:38 AM
The only LD I have purchased recently is The Beyond.

Which version of The Beyond did you get? I have the EC Entertainment version (L'Aldila), and it's pretty lame. If I were a bigger fan of the movie, I'd definitely upgrade to something better. I might upgrade anyway.

Only LDs I've picked up recently are The Wild Bunch and Beavis and Butthead: The Essential Collection.

Oh, and I got stiffed on my E-Bay purchase of Tomorrow Never Dies DTS. That kinda pissed me off.

Jason25
12-31-2003, 04:45 AM
Which version of The Beyond did you get? I have the EC Entertainment version (L'Aldila), and it's pretty lame. If I were a bigger fan of the movie, I'd definitely upgrade to something better. I might upgrade anyway.

Only LDs I've picked up recently are The Wild Bunch and Beavis and Butthead: The Essential Collection.

Oh, and I got stiffed on my E-Bay purchase of Tomorrow Never Dies DTS. That kinda pissed me off.

I also have the EC version, haven't watched it yet.

Pretty lame? That sucks. I'll still give it a spin soon but have always trusted your judgement.

Paff
12-31-2003, 08:37 AM
Let's just say you won't be selling off your Anchor Bay DVDs of The Beyond anytime soon.

Agent Z
12-31-2003, 09:27 AM
I finally got THE SENDER in last week and it was what I expected. Pretty much like watching the old VHS...and the dust jacket was beat-up, but I can't complain for $5.00. This copy will hold me over until Paramount commits this little gem to dvd. I will post a review next week....

Dave
01-03-2004, 01:47 PM
I picked up Robot Wars (older Full Moon movie) yesterday.

wago70
01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
I just picked up nice, used copies of:
The Vampire Lovers (nice gatefold with some documentation by David Del Valle)
Dimentia 13 (the nice Roan release)

I may go back and rescue Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things that is just sitting there. It's always nice to see great horror titles in the LD format. Usually these used record stores only have movies like TOY STORY or MR. BASEBALL. One time I really scored last year: nice import copies of TENEBRE, LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE, OPERA and PHENOMENA - all for only about $40. Those are the Saturday mornings I love.

wago70
01-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Although it's barebones (well, there are two trailers, if I recall correct), I rather like the EC version of THE BEYOND. It looks very clear to me and the framing looks great. I'll have to admit, it could use the "gatefold" design like CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD.

wago70
01-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Would anyone recommend the LD of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST? It comes in a red jacket and is from Europe, but in the NTSC format. I've seen this for a month now and it's just waiting for a purchase.

Paff
01-07-2004, 01:43 AM
I just thought EC's Beyond was kind of muddy. I mean, you know going in it won't look as good as the AB DVD, but it didn't impress me. And yeah, the cover is not up to EC's normal standards either.

If the Cannibal Holocaust you're talking about is the "Cult Epics" version (it says "Italian Gore Classics" on the front), run, don't walk to get it. It's a damn fine LD, and also has the isolated soundtrack on the Analog Track. Definitely recommended.

chrishicks
01-09-2004, 08:21 PM
I just ordered Full Moons Lurking Fear.

wago70
01-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Someone unloaded an entire Horror LD collection over at Ameoba records in San Francisco. They had some great titles all in mint condition: Elite fare like DAY OF THE DEAD, Roan greats like HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM, ALICE SWEET ALICE and some nice Imports like DELLAMORTE. They had a bunch of great titles. I walked away with WAX MASK, ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST, HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK and MARK OF THE DEVIL.
The Fulci titles were higher priced ($19.99) and Elite's TEXAS CHAINSAW was in mint condition (and only $10). They looked so great that if I hadn't already had those titles I would have bought them all. There's still plenty of great titles left, too (EATEN ALIVE, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, Corman double features...)

Jason25
01-11-2004, 02:59 AM
Although it's barebones (well, there are two trailers, if I recall correct), I rather like the EC version of THE BEYOND. It looks very clear to me and the framing looks great. I'll have to admit, it could use the "gatefold" design like CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD.

I love the gatefold covers, a very nice touch.

I still haven't had a chance to watch the EC LD yet, I need to find time to check it out.

wago70
01-12-2004, 05:42 PM
It was weird seeing EC's BEYOND, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD and HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY at the used record store for $19 each. They were in better condition than mine which I bought for $70 back in the day.
I wonder if the Japanese versions had as good quality.
The HOUSE BY THE EDGE OF THE PARK I bought had a nice gatefold as did BLADE IN THE DARK. I wonder why BEYOND missed out - perhaps it was the first release from EC??

X-human
01-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Bram Stoker's Dracula: Special Edition.

I picked it up by accident, the cover looks a hell of a lot like Criterion's, but I see that it has the full Making Of while Criterion only has a segment, which appeases my disapointment somewhat.

Live and learn I guess.

TheShape
01-21-2004, 04:33 AM
In my quest to get all Friday the 13th movies on LD just for the fun of it (and the big original cover art), I got Part 1 and 3 on Ebay. I now have parts 1,3,4 (sealed),7 and 8.

By looking more closely at the disks themselves for part 1 and 3, I noticed that the LD for part 3 came out in 1990 but nothing for part 1. Only 1981 on the back cover, which is probably the year of the first video release. I wonder when it came out on LD.

wago70
01-21-2004, 04:03 PM
I recall seeing Friday the 13th on laserdisc way back in 1983.

chrishicks
01-29-2004, 01:04 AM
I just bought Test Tube Teens From The Year 2000 and Bad Channels.

Paff
02-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Woo hoo! I won an auction for Elite's Dracula: Prince Of Darkness.

Only $3.99, I was surprised no one else bid

Blade
02-07-2004, 07:03 PM
I got the Criterion version's of Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein for a total price of $25, pretty cool huh?

Paff
02-07-2004, 07:05 PM
I got the Criterion version's of Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein for a total price of $25, pretty cool huh?

Definitely!

Those are sweet Lasers. Got 'em both myself.

wago70
02-09-2004, 04:22 PM
My newbies:
LISA & THE DEVIL/BARON BLOOD (mint condition), THE LIVING DEAD GIRL (also mint), X THE UNKOWN, ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST (with 2 posters!) and FOUR-SIDED TRIANGLE.

venomjuice9
02-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Good O Laserdiscs, just this past weekend I went and brought Adventures Of Robin Hood (Criterion), Adventures Baron Munchausen (Criterion) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (Criterion). Mmmm still looking for Midnight Cowboy and Robinson Crusoe On Mars (Both Criterion)

Paff
02-10-2004, 02:14 AM
My newbies:
LISA & THE DEVIL/BARON BLOOD (mint condition)

I like this disc a lot too, though I wish there were more extras, and a gatefold sleeve (like Elite was famous for). I also wish they'd have the House of Exorcism option, like on the DVD.

By the way, I was surprised to find I enjoyed Baron Blood more, with the exception of the cheesy opening music....

wago70
02-10-2004, 05:25 PM
What I love about both BARON BLOOD and Lisa and the Devil are their music scores. BARON BLOOD's takes you off guard because it sounds so...cocktail lounge...early '70's style! I love it and would KILL for a CD of both soundtracks. Also, I love the opening shot of BARON BLOOD with the airliner cruising over San Francisco. I see that same view myself when taking a transatlantic flight especially in the summer when the fog covers the downtown area and the Bank of America building (tallest in SF) looks exactly the same as in that shot. I only wish that music played on the P.A. during the flight.

wago70
02-10-2004, 05:32 PM
There was a time when I would see used, but mint condition LD copies of FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN and BLOOD FOR DRACULA. I bought both one day at the used record store for about $30. For months, they kept popping up - when bought, another set would be brought out to be sold. Now, I see multiple used, but mint copies of the DVD versions (about $25). What gives? Why the constant rotation of viewers of these Criterion versions? I mean, the other day there were four used copies of BLOOD FOR DRACULA and two FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN - the week before, there were two of each!

chrishicks
02-11-2004, 04:30 PM
I just got a mint, sealed copy of Sorceress for 7.16. yes, this is the "classic" Linda Blair and Julie Strain witchcraft movie.:)

wago70
02-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Let us know the quality!

Paff
02-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Just won another auction, this time for the Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder release of Switchblade Sisters. The other RT discs I have are Curdled and Chungking Express. I know Sonatine is out by them too....is that it?

wago70
02-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Sounds like a great buy - so "Drive-In" of a purchase. The disc sets that I really want are those MGM/UA ones with DR. BLOOD'S COFFIN, et al. Also I could do with the Universal set with MOLE PEOPLE and DEADLY MANTIS. Keep getting outbid on eBay!

chrishicks
02-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Evil Dead 2 Blood Red Ed. and The Rejuvenator. picked them both up locally for 25.00.

Nos4ah2
02-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Picked up M.Butterfly out of Canada for about $19. Beautiful picuture and sound, but sadly no special features or supplements.

Blade
02-21-2004, 01:48 PM
I just got Lost Highway.

Paff
02-25-2004, 04:50 PM
I just got Lost Highway.

Any problems with Laser Rot on that disc? It's supposedly a notorious title in terms of rot.

My latest pickups: Rush Hour and Pulp Fiction, DTS!

jscott
02-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Pulp Fiction, DTS!

You wormy bastard! :D How much did you spend on it? Would you do us a big favor & post a verbal comparison between the DVD & LD DTS tracks?

Blade
02-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Any problems with Laser Rot on that disc? It's supposedly a notorious title in terms of rot.

I don't really know what laser rot should look like, but my Lost Highway laserdisc is in exellent shape! It looks so good, very strong colors, with a strong dose of yellow in alot of shots. My Dutch dvd doesn't have these strong colors, and I've been told by a Lynch expert the colors a supposed to look as they do on the US laserdisc :)

Dave
02-25-2004, 06:25 PM
I don't really know what laser rot should look like, but my Lost Highway laserdisc is in exellent shape! It looks so good, very strong colors, with a strong dose of yellow in alot of shots. My Dutch dvd doesn't have these strong colors, and I've been told by a Lynch expert the colors a supposed to look as they do on the US laserdisc :)

My Japanese LD had a very poor transfer on it. Way too much grain and it was just too dark overall. I sold it off. I recently picked up a 16x9 PAL DVD that is supposed to be a big improvement. I haven't watched it yet, however.

Paff
02-25-2004, 06:29 PM
You wormy bastard! :D How much did you spend on it? Would you do us a big favor & post a verbal comparison between the DVD & LD DTS tracks?

They were $20 each. I don't think Rush Hour has a DTS DVD, does it?

I definitely intend to compare the LD and DVD DTS tracks (BTW, I now have FOUR versions of Pulp Fiction on LD and DVD. I'd dump my plain LD, but it was the first LD I ever bought, so I'm holding on to it for posterity).
I've found DTS to be hit or miss on DVD. Some tracks are really nice, but others (I.E., Chicago) sound about the same as a good Dolby Digital mix. Laserdisc DTS is always top notch.

The price on the Pulp Fiction DTS laser has dropped ever since the DVD came out. I was surprised to get Rush Hour. Also, both were "throwaway" bids on E-bay...that's where I see something I like, bid the minimum, and forget about them, until I get the winning bid E-mail.

And Blade, it sounds like you got real lucky on the Lost Highway disc, since almost everyone I've heard from says it's rotted. I don't know if you've watched the whole movie yet, but if you haven't, be sure to check the beginning and ending of every side (Rot comes in at either the beginning or end of a side, never in the middle). Also, check the inner ring of the disc, for manufacturing location. Discs from that company pressed in the US (I think they'll be marked DADC or LDVS, but don't quote me on that) are notorious rotters, but discs from the same company that were pressed in Austria (it will say Austria somewhere on the inner ring) are usually OK. These are American releases I'm talking about, they just used two different pressing plants, so the covers will look exactly the same. It's the discs themselves that are slightly different.

(BTW, Laser rot looks like small white speckles, all over the picture. Including the black letterboxed bars. Ironically, the better player you have, the MORE you will see rot. I guess as it pulls more detail out of the disc, it also uncovers more flaws)

Blade
02-25-2004, 06:47 PM
What you just said is really disturbing Paff. I have seen those little white speckles on my Star Wars special edition laserdiscs! :nervous: How far can this rotting go, will it destroy the image completely, or will it stay like it is now?

I've watched Lost Highway completely, and I don't remember any white speckles on that one, but I will check the disc itself later on.

Paff
02-25-2004, 07:30 PM
What you just said is really disturbing Paff. I have seen those little white speckles on my Star Wars special edition laserdiscs! :nervous: How far can this rotting go, will it destroy the image completely, or will it stay like it is now?

It will probably get worse, unfortunately. Destroy the image completely? Maybe not, but it will become unwatchable.

Is the Star Wars SE a known rotter? Because I've definitely heard it about the CAV Definitive Collection. I'm a "Faces" man myself.

Blade
02-25-2004, 07:49 PM
I've never read about Star Wars SE being a rotter, but mine sure seems to be one :( I sure hope it won't get worse (allthough there's no really distracting speckles right now), I've really enjoyed those discs, the quality is very good.

Blade
02-27-2004, 07:08 PM
My new discs:

- Suspiria (by Image)
- Phantasm (Wide Screen Collector's Edition)
- Lord of Illusion (Unrated Director's Cut)
- Zombie (by The Roan Group)
- From Dusk Till Dawn (Director's Edition)
- Executioners (by Tai Seng)
- The Bride With White Hair (Tai Seng)

Each cost me about $12

Paff
03-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I won an auction for Elite's version of Frankenstein Created Woman. I'm VERY close to having the entire Elite Hammer series on Laser.

I now have:
Frankenstein Created Woman
Rasputin, The Mad Monk
Dracula, Prince of Darkness
The Reptile
Plague of the Zombies
The Devil Rides Out

I think I only need
The Lost Continent
The Mummy's Shroud
The Witches

Also, my newest DTS discs arrived, those being Rush Hour and Pulp Fiction. I'm gonna have to do a side-by-side-by-side comparison of Pulp Fiction, since my initial response wasn't too good. I just scanned a few scenes, and I was not impressed.

I plan to compare the THX LD, the Criterion LD, the DTS LD, and the DTS DVD, all with the same scenes. Any suggestions? I was gonna go with the "Son of a Preacher Man" bit, all the way to the Jack Rabbit Slim's scene, as that as a lot of ambient sounds in the restaurant, all a good indication of how good the sound transfer is.

bigdaddyhorse
03-08-2004, 09:07 PM
I plan to compare the THX LD, the Criterion LD, the DTS LD, and the DTS DVD, all with the same scenes. Any suggestions? I was gonna go with the "Son of a Preacher Man" bit, all the way to the Jack Rabbit Slim's scene, as that as a lot of ambient sounds in the restaurant, all a good indication of how good the sound transfer is.

That, and the "What does Marcellius Wallace look like?" scene, esp. with the gunshots at the end.
The end scene in the restraunt might be a good one to comapre for backround noises and such also.

Oh yeah, when Vincent rolls up to Lances house with Mia should have some surround effects too.

Agent Z
03-10-2004, 11:44 AM

I've watched Lost Highway completely, and I don't remember any white speckles on that one, but I will check the disc itself later on.

Actually, white specks by themselves are more indicative of dropouts, which are generally nothing to lose sleep over. Laser rot usually comes in the form of multi-colored specks, although it can contain some white specks also. For more info, check out this thread and the links posted in it:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=10679&page=2&pp=15&highlight=laser+rot

X-human
03-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Is the Star Wars SE a known rotter? Because I've definitely heard it about the CAV Definitive Collection. I'm a "Faces" man myself.

The 'all mighty' IMDb says, "The disc has the rolling bar problem" for the CAV SE's but I'm not sure what that means.

wago70
03-12-2004, 11:40 PM
The disc has a rot problem. Most of all in RETURN OF THE JEDI and during my favorite part: the Sy Snoodles band sequence.
The other discs seem to be okay - I only have the ROT on that one disc.

wago70
03-12-2004, 11:43 PM
I scored a brand new, sealed box set of Outer Limits vol. 4. Now if only I can find the other volumes in as good a condition. Only $19.95!

X-human
03-18-2004, 03:56 AM
Picked up Orca: The Killer Whale for 99 cents. It's not the Japanese Widescreen edition, but then nothings perfect.

wago70
03-22-2004, 04:43 PM
I did good at the used record store:
CANNIBAL FEROX with vinyl record and barf bag
THE INNOCENTS widescreen ghost story with Deborah Kerr.
There was so much more, but my budget was limited. They had $14.99 version of Criterions HARD BOILED and THIS IS SPINAL TAP. HALLOWEEN, TEXAS CHAINSAW, TWINS OF EVIL...all cheap $7.99 each.

Paff
03-22-2004, 05:17 PM
I did good at the used record store:
CANNIBAL FEROX with vinyl record and barf bag
THE INNOCENTS widescreen ghost story with Deborah Kerr.
There was so much more, but my budget was limited. They had $14.99 version of Criterions HARD BOILED and THIS IS SPINAL TAP. HALLOWEEN, TEXAS CHAINSAW, TWINS OF EVIL...all cheap $7.99 each.

Um, if you plan on going back, let me know. I might want that Criterion Hard Boiled. And Twins of Evil is a Hammer, right? I've been building up a significant collection of Hammer Laserdiscs, I could always use more

Nice pickup on Cannibal Ferox, I got that a while ago. Terrible movie, great laserdisc

wago70
03-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Okay - I'll go tonight (Wednesday 3/24) right after work. I'll post here around 8 or 9!

Paff
03-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Sounds good. I tried sending you a PM, but you don't have it enabled or something. If you have a cell phone, you can call me from the record store and let me know what titles are available.

wago70
03-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Darn - I guess I waited too long. Both were gone. There also was nothing new added. IF, however, there's something Saturday - I'll post here around 2:00. I can easily go back there anytime as I live nearby that place.

wago70
03-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Checked Saturday afternoon (today):
Hard Boiled - $19.99
Twins of Evil $19.99
These looked better than the previous ones. I bought a used Cannibal Ferox last week for $19.99 but today I bought a brand new one (still sealed) for 29.99.
I'm beginning to wonder if they have doubles of every title stashed away in back...

Paff
04-25-2004, 11:44 PM
No one been buying any LDs lately?

I went to visit a used record store I hadn't been to in years, and found they had a small selection of used LDs. Kinda kicking myself for not checking there in so long.

Anyway, my small haul was:

Wolfen (99 cents!)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (Elite disc)
Maniac (signed by Bill Lustig!)
The Princess Bride (Criterion CAV)
Evita (which I've been wanting to see ever since the Simpsons parodied it)

They did have a few other Elite discs, I may go back there next weekend.

Paff
04-26-2004, 08:31 AM
What the hell, I'm on a roll.

Haven't ordered anything from Big Emma in like a year or so, so I decided to try out their new ordering system. I liberated them of some of their import Hong Kong discs like:
Dragon Lord
Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars
Sex & Zen
High Risk

Those are the import versions, with the theatrical subtitles burned in. That means TWO sets of subs, Chinese and English. Sure, the subs are unreadable a lot, and take up much of the screen, but they bring back memories of the times I first started getting import boots of HK flicks on VHS. They were copied from these Lasers. Good to finally own some of the masters.

Paff
04-28-2004, 07:19 PM
And the beat goes on...

Two more HK LDs:
Righting Wrongs
Prodigal Son

Too bad I lost the other auctions this guy had, namely Hard Boiled (Criterion), The Killer (Criterion), and Bullet in the Head. Those were the movies I was actively bidding on, Righting Wrongs and Prodigal Son were the "throw-ins". Oh well. How can you go wrong with 2 Yuen Biao movies?

jscott
04-29-2004, 02:29 AM
No one been buying any LDs lately?

That would be me :mad: I've been wrapped up in so much other stuff lately, that I've totally stopped looking for LD's. Tis a shame too, since I finally got a player that I'm satisfied with (CLD-702). I still watch at least one LD a week though, sometimes more. Last one I bought a few months ago was A Show of Hands by Rush (yeah I know, I'm a dork).

Paff
05-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I just got my Big Emma shipment, and there was a pleasant surprise. One of the movies I got was Street Angels, a low budget 1999 Singapore drama about homeless teens or something. I didn't know much about it, but it was only 4 bucks and I have never seen a Singapore movie, so I got it for educational purposes.

Turns out Big E had the wrong listing for the title. It's not the Singapore movie at all, but instead it's a 1996 Hong Kong action flick (with the same title) with Chingmy Yau and Shu Qi!

Now, if I only had time to actually WATCH these movies, all would be right in the world...

Paff
05-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Jeez...someone stop me

Another auction ended today, for Hard Boiled (Criterion). The guy wants insane shipping ($9), but I just lowered my max bid to compensate, and ended up paying about what I want. Folks, jacking up shipping costs on E-Bay only DISCOURAGES bidders...

laserdogg
05-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Picked up a few lasers in the last month or two. Some are non-horror, but oh well....

Adam's Rib - Criterion
Dawn of the Dead - 142 min. Director's Cut - Elite
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye - 50's Cagney crime thriller
Unforgiven - 60's Burt Lancaster western. Nice MGM gatefold
Poltergeist - The CAV boxset
Howard Hawk's The Thing From Another World - Image Collector's Edition

Lasers are hard to find used at retail in my area, so it's eBay or the rare private sales for me.

Paff
05-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Which version of Dawn? The regular 2-disc directors cut, or the box set. I someday have to get that box set.

And good pickup on The Thing. I know it's obsolete with the new DVD out, but it's still a really nice package.

As for me, I just keep on buying. Two more Hong Kong discs from Big E:
The Untold Story
Organized Crime and Triad Bureau

How is it that $5 LDs are breaking my bank? Oh yeah, 'cause I buy like 5 or 6 at a time, several times a week!

laserdogg
05-14-2004, 03:54 AM
Dawn was the 2 disc set, 7.98 and it looked new. I picked up the CAV boxset a year or two ago but I'll quadruple dip if the jacket art rocks or it's an SE.

I'd like to pick up Untold Story as well. I've heard of it but never seen it.

Paff
06-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Another good find this weekend, a mint copy of Kagemusha, which I don't believe is on DVD yet.

I also screened my copy of Wolfen (which I bought a couple of months ago for 99 cents), and it's a really outstanding disc. Great picture. I'm sure the DVD is better, but I have no reason to upgrade on this particular title.

Disco Stu
06-13-2004, 11:54 PM
Another good find this weekend, a mint copy of Kagemusha, which I don't believe is on DVD yet.

Yes it is (http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/reviews/review.asp?Index=2373&User=11436).

I got Secret Honor: Criterion, Short Cuts: Criterion (for the Kael commentary more than anything), and a throw in with Short Cuts from the same seller, Mother for $2 and Theodore Rex for $1, to compliment my signed copy of Leonard Part 6.

Paff
06-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Picked up some more Lasers recently

Runaway Train
Seconds
Bullet in the Head
Heroes Shed No Tears

Dave
06-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Found another Tales from the Darkside Jap. LD that has an episode I don't currently own. There are actually four episodes on it, but only one that isn't on the U.S. lasers or U.S. VHS tapes. Though I'd prefer an episode off Jap. LD versus U.S. VHS, so maybe I'll gain more than one episode. I figure by the time I have all of the Darkside Jap. LDs, it'll be announced for U.S. DVD release.

Paff
06-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Just won an auction for Lady Snowblood.

I know it just came out on DVD, but if I'm not mistaken, the DVD cover mentions the Kill Bill correlation. The LD doesn't have any of that, so I can go in fresh. Plus, I believe it has an insert with extensive liner notes (most AnimEigo Lasers do).

laserdogg
07-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Picked up a few recently although only one would classify loosely as horror

Thin Man Collection - popping up at good prices since the remaining 5 movies were supposedly announced

Naked City 1948 crime thriller from Roan has commentary from individuals involved in the film - also won the OOP DVD on eBay. Haven't recieved the DVD yet so I don't know if the extras are replicated from the LD

Two-Lane Blacktop Roan special edition. I remember this one got hard to find new in '99 due to low press runs. I believe the extras are on my DVD tin. I actually saw this one in a theater in the early 70's

Galaxy of Terror Cheesy '81 Corman cheapie that I saw on cable back in the day and liked. Don't know how well it'll hold up.