PDA

View Full Version : Sam Raimi's The Gift. Evil Dead references!

Ash
01-21-2001, 12:04 AM
I just got back from seeing Sam Raimi's new flick The Gift. It was pretty good although I wouldn't want to see it again. It's just one of those movies. Get this I was carded when I bought my ticket! I'm 21 and have yet to be carded till today! I found that quite disturbing. Anyway back to the Gift. I wasn't wild about the setting but it did fit the story quite well. The story was ok but was quite slow, I figured out who the killer was even when they went through all the possible people one by one. It was very formulaic. Katie Holmes was such a slut in the movie. Yes she bared it all which was nice. I bet a lot horny teenage and college guys are going to go see the movie just for that. Overall the movie was good.

There were a lot of Evil Dead references in the movie. The main character drives Bruce's 1973 Delta 88 Royal! Also the main character lives in a replica of the Evil Dead Cabin! It was of course more furnished but was exactly the same! They even had the clock from the first two films. There is this one scene where the main character is in the kitchen and looks at the exact white sink that Bruce tries to drown his possessed hand in! There were also Sam Raimi type camera work when the ghost of Katie Holmes comes scares the main character. If you want to see all these things and more go see the movie.

------------------
Ash - webmaster@deadites.net
Deadites Online - www.deadites.net (http://www.deadites.net)

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 01-20-2001).]

napalm68
01-21-2001, 01:14 AM
Sounds cool. Apparently that car is featured in nearly every Raimi film (according to the commentaries on the Evil Dead films). I can't really comment on that, as I haven't really thought much of any of the Raimi films other than the ED trilogy (I even just gave away my rare VHS copies of films like Lunatics and Crimewave).

The Gift sound like it might be ok, though.

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

The Chaostar
01-21-2001, 01:57 AM
I was extremely disatisfied from The Gift. I found it boring, unoriginal and a routine work for Raimi. I loved A Simple Plan and I really hoped that he could do much more than copy What Lies Beneath! Evil Dead is a groundbreaking film for the horror genre (and independent cinema as far as I'm concerned) and I believe that Sam needs to read the Book Of The Dead again, to remember that old feeling...

ctyner
01-21-2001, 02:00 AM
I enjoyed "The Gift" and I'm glad I took the time to see it, but at the same time, I didn't leave feeling awestruck or in any way enthusiastic as I did with the Evil Dead trilogy. Good, but nothing memorable.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

Ash
01-21-2001, 03:20 AM
Definitely not one of Raimi's best. A Simple Plan was good though. Were there any Evil Dead references in that? It's been a while.

------------------
Ash - webmaster@deadites.net
Deadites Online - www.deadites.net (http://www.deadites.net)

mutleyhyde
01-21-2001, 04:01 AM
The Gift was a beautifully filmed movie. Katie Holmes played a great slut, but I don't think the teens are going to flock to a film to see her dead boobies. I myself am a big fan of breasts, but let me tell ya, I was very repulsed whenever Katies breasts did, umm, surface. Yeah, the story did seem a little predictable, but nothing like Simple Plan. Actually, it wasn't as predictable as I thought (that means I got it wrong). For me, Simple Plan was over in 30 min. The Gift held my interest throughout. I thought the setting was great, and that Sam showcased it very well. I thought the actors played their parts well, and for the most part were also written well. The images and pace in The Gift were much more enticing to me than that in Simple Plan. No, I was not left awestruck, but I was most definitely more interested in the characters and the story than I ever was in Simple Plan. I think The Gift is definitely a winner for Raimi. But enough with the comparisons; I highly recommend the flick to any Raimi fans and any fans of serious, dark movies. No, theres no big revelation at the end, but it sure is nice getting there. And, by the way, as much as I hate Keanu "Whoah" Reeves, he did play his part damned well. Check it out for yourself.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Jasondog
01-21-2001, 04:30 AM
I was rather disappointed with A Simple Plan. The characters were too stupid to me and the whole movie seemed to borrow too heavily from Fargo. It wasn't bad, but it wasnt that great. It did however, have superb camera angles, per usual http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

mutleyhyde
01-21-2001, 04:59 AM
Thank God JD... I thought I was the only one! I also forgot to mention, it was indeed real heartwarming to see the 88 again! The millisecond it popped on screen, a big smile came to my lips. Forget any negative critics, go enjoy the show.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde