PDA

View Full Version : Fade to Black - Worth a look?

Suicide
01-12-2003, 06:00 PM
This is one of those movies who's box I never bothered to actually look at in the video store. Well for some reason the other day I picked it up and looked at it, now I really want to see it. I've got it lined up on Netflix, but I thought I'd get some thoughts here, just for the hell of it I guess. Mondo-Digital described it as a cross between Maniac, Taxi Driver, and the Monster Squad, that description alone has me anxious to see it.
So, Fade to Black :D or :mad:?

John
01-12-2003, 06:18 PM
I haven't seen this, but it certainly looks pretty cool. Let me know what you think if you pick it up.

the.wicked.one
01-12-2003, 08:09 PM
It makes some interesting statements on film geeks and how far they can take their love of the movies. Here the main character starts taking revenge on his enemies by dressing up and acting like some of his favorite screen personas. As a character study it works on some levels but as a horror film it often misses the mark.

I say it's average. Well worth the rental but don't expect anything great.

patmcgahern
01-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Fade to Black is a classic slice of fondu, touting excellent performances from Dennis Christopher and B-Movie King Tim Thomerson. Also it contains one of the first appearances of a young Mickey Rourke in a pivotal role. Highly Reccomended

STREET TRASH
01-12-2003, 11:01 PM
Very, very cool psycho-drama slasher film. It may not provide you with true slash gore thrills, though. I also would not compare it with Lustig's "Maniac," being that "Fade to Black" is totally different in tone and does not dwell on misogyny. There's also very little gore, practically none to speak of, really.

Hellbilly
01-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Fade To Black is a good flick but damn, it's been ages since I've seen it.
I really need to get the DVD. I hope it ain't OOP yet.

mcchrist
01-13-2003, 02:04 AM
You certainly could do a hell of alot worse!

Joel Groce
01-13-2003, 03:41 AM
not a great film, IMHO, mind you - it almost played off too comedic in places - I thought it could have had a nastier, darker edge and been the better for it...does have some interesting characterizations though - tell us what you think.

Suicide
01-13-2003, 04:05 AM
Alright, thanks for the replies, looks like I'm doing a little movie hunting tomorrow. I'm gonna just buy it if I find it, I think Suncoast actually has some older Anchor Bay stuff pretty cheap, but if not, I'll put it as #1 on my Netflix queue. Although they've been really crappy lately, if that fails I can go pay $2 for a video rental from Hollywood.
I'll let you guys know what I think once I obtain a copy.

the.wicked.one
01-13-2003, 04:08 AM
You should drop Netflix and try GreenCine. Huge difference.

Suicide
01-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Well that was easy enough. I walked into Suncoast found the Horror-F section and started flipping through....Fall of the House of Usher, First Power, Candyman(?), and then out pops Fade to Black - $9.99. As you can tell Suncoast needs to organize their DVD's better.

Anyway I'll probably watch it tomorrow, I gotta watch Hell Night first, but I'll report back here whenever I've given it a look.

Oh, and I've tried GreenCine, they had a great selection, but during my two week trial everything said Short Wait the whole time, and they're really far away from my house.

I'm working at a video store now, so I may give them another shot, because I'll get my more mainstream stuff for free. I like Netflix more because they have a distribution center about an hour from my house, which used to be great, but now they're taking their sweet ass time on me. Also how come if they receive one of my movies on a Tuesday, and the #1 movie on my queue comes out that Tuesday, they skip it and then suddenly it's a Long Wait and I gotta wait like a month before I can see it? Okay sorry got really off topic there, huh? All of a sudden it's a Netflix rant.

Midnight Buddha
01-13-2003, 11:18 PM
www.play.com has the dvd on sale for 4.99 p&p inc at the moment, so i think i`ll be ordering this one myself.

Suicide
01-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Ok here I am with my post Fade to Black viewing thoughts. I'm sure you've all been waiting anxiously.:p Well worth the $10 I paid for it. I didn't absolutely love it, but it was certainly a well done little movie. Several memorable moments and Eric and Marilyn were likable characters, even though Eric was killing people, but at least he was enjoying himself I guess. A few things I didn't care for: I didn't totally buy a Marilyn Monroe lookalike being interested in Eric, but that type of thing does happen, so maybe that's just me. I wasn't too impressed with the police and that psychologist (is that what he was?). They did alright, just I wasn't too interested in their scenes. I think they should've used Brooke Adams and Joseph Halpin from Shock Waves as the woman cop and the psychologist. They reminded me of them alot.

I was a little confused by the end honestly. What were those pills he kept giving Marilyn (how hot was she by the way?) and why didn't she try to stop him from putting them in her mouth. She seemed to be dizzy after taking them, but kept letting him put more in her mouth. It was really late nearing the end of the movie so I got a little lost.

Anyway my few little complaints aside I enjoyed the movie. I found it to be a very ambitious, though not totally sucessful little psychological slasher movie with admirable job done by Dennis Christopher.