PDA

View Full Version : Home Sweet Home

STREET TRASH
01-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Well, well, well. What've we got here? a horrendous 1981 slasher movie starring "Body By Jake" Steinfeld, as a psychotic killer doped up on hard drugs. He runs over elderly women in his car, laughs incessantly and somehow, manages to be the dullest slasher villain to ever be born out of the '80s. It's a real chore to finish this film all the way through without touching the FFW button, or drifting off for a 5 min. nap. The characters are outrageously annoying, in particular the mime kid who serves only to get on people's nerves and play his guitar (thank the LORD he dies, I actually cheered his death!). There isn't anything noteworthy about this dirt cheap slasher knock-off, no good laughs, a boring ending, boring middle, boring kills... Not much else to say about the film, there isn't a whole lot on offer - I re-watched it last night (I'm a masochist) and was hoping to enjoy it a bit more than my previous viewing - before it bored me, now I detest it.

I live for the old slasher films but really, this was the pits. Anyone else have the "pleasure" ?

Mark Relford
01-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Heh... I bought the VHS from a struggling mom n' pop store last year. (Hell, it was only a buck.) Haven't had the "pleasure" of watching it yet. Is it worse than Humongous?;)

speanroc
01-13-2003, 11:16 PM
hey i happen to like "humongous"

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

the.wicked.one
01-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Haven't seen HSH in ages and I don't really recall any of it. I guess it just goes to show that it's nothing special.

Hellbilly
01-14-2003, 04:43 AM
Yup, this film was terrible, especially the kid with the guitar ugh.
Jake Steinfeld has a cool scene though, sticking a needle underneath his tongue :eek2:
This flick was produced by the "ILsa" guy as I recall.

patmcgahern
01-15-2003, 09:06 PM
this film rocks. Its so bad its funny. Not as good as Humongous though!

rhett
12-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Picked this up at Canadian Tire in a bargain bin for $3.99. Thought it was hilarious that Vinessa Shaw is headlined above the title on the cover, despite the fact that she's like 4 in it and hardly even says a word. I pity the Joe who goes to buy this thinking it's the hottie from EYES WIDE SHUT. The transfer is interlaced and full screen, but not that bad. I've only gotten past the title card (love that FUCKING RUN OVER THAT OLD BITCH WALKING ACROSS THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!! EXTREME!!!!!! opening murder) but so far so sweet. I'll try to review this for the site if I get some time. Definitely the most intense roid rage killer in all of slasherdom.

HAEMORRHAGE
12-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I've got this. I think the last time I tried watching it I fell asleep within 5 minutes. I suppose that's reason enough to try and watch it one more time.

Mutilated Prey
12-18-2009, 10:40 PM
This got a release? This is the Thanksgiving horror flick right? VHS transfer?

rhett
12-19-2009, 03:29 AM
This got a release? This is the Thanksgiving horror flick right? VHS transfer?

Looks better than VHS for sure, but it's still interlaced and full frame. Definitely worth the $4.

Body Boy
12-19-2009, 03:33 AM
Heh... I bought the VHS from a struggling mom n' pop store last year. (Hell, it was only a buck.) Haven't had the "pleasure" of watching it yet. Is it worse than Humongous?;)

:eek:

Humongous is a wonderful slasher!

It's okay though. I forgive you.

rhett
12-19-2009, 05:26 AM
:eek:

Humongous is a wonderful slasher!

It's okay though. I forgive you.

You must have x-ray eyes, because half that movie is underexposed! :D

I don't think it's fair to give Humongous an appraisal, though, until it actually gets a proper DVD release with some adequate black level detail.

Mutilated Prey
12-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Looks better than VHS for sure, but it's still interlaced and full frame. Definitely worth the $4.

Only released in Canada? I can't find that shit anywhere online.

bwana the clown
12-19-2009, 06:26 AM
I sat through Home Sweet Home a few months ago and it was a real struggle, but admittedly it also suffers from a lot of unwatchably dark scenes (at least the copy I watched did)

Mistake (guitar boy) was my favourite thing about the movie!!

rhett
12-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Only released in Canada? I can't find that shit anywhere online.

Heh, neither can I. It was released by an outfit called "Hollywood Entertainment". That does sound too generic to be legit, but I don't know...it was at my Canadian Tire. The company is based out of Las Vegas.

Katatonia
12-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Heh, neither can I. It was released by an outfit called "Hollywood Entertainment". That does sound too generic to be legit, but I don't know...it was at my Canadian Tire. The company is based out of Las Vegas.

This is it here on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Home-Sweet-Jake-Steinfeld/dp/B000ERVKCG/), but currently unavailable. I own a few "Hollywood Entertainment" releases, but I 've never seen this one to buy. They're basically a budget label, with sometimes questionable legitimacy.

There's also a R2 DVD in the UK that came out a few years ago, but it's now OOP.

Vance Vandy
12-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Not one of my favorite slashers, but not one of the worst either. It's fun to watch, but only once every several years. It isn't one I can just throw on anytime.

shape22
12-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I've always had amazing skill when it comes to getting through even the worst horror movies. And this one was a chore even for me. The first minute was so hilarious that it kept me watching in the hope that it would rise to that level again. It didn't. For sheer boredom, this is my personal low water mark. Just awful.

MadmanMarz
12-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Seriously? I am wondering why this movie even deserves a thread. As far as lost slashers go...as I am wondering why this even deserves a thread. I got my hands on this last year and was like..WTF? This is a lost cult fav? No wonder why this was blocked out of my childhood viewing.

Body Boy
12-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Seriously? I am wondering why this movie even deserves a thread. As far as lost slashers go...as I am wondering why this even deserves a thread. I got my hands on this last year and was like..WTF? This is a lost cult fav? No wonder why this was blocked out of my childhood viewing.

Agreed.

It has its moments, but is just above the level of SOV dreck. :( Sadly...

snowbeast323
12-27-2009, 11:16 PM
I can't even try to like this film......it was so dull and boring

CPT HOOK
03-27-2010, 04:52 AM
It looks like this was released on VHS under two different titles, Home Sweet Home and Slasher In The House. Anyone know if there is a difference between the two versions?

Mutilated Prey
12-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Just watched this and it has some of those fun 80's slasher elements, but between the lame guitar kid, an abundance of over the top screaming (dood, that chick in the end looping that exact same screeching scream like 6 times is one example - wtf) and the killer's annoying laugh it's tough to enjoy.

MorallySound
12-27-2011, 01:31 AM
This "terrible" slasher is such a guilty pleasure of mine. Soooo bad it's good. Besides, it's got Don Edmonds getting crushed beneath a car hood by a hulked out nutcase high on PCP. What's not to like?

startide
12-27-2011, 02:15 AM
I think I bought this movie by mistake, I think I might have mixed it up with To All a Goodnight (also released by Media on VHS), because when I look at the reviews on IMDb (which is what I always did before buying videos on ebay) they are terrible, and there is no way on earth I would have bought it based on those reviews (the reviews of the Hess film are much more positive).

Home Sweet Home is easily one of the worst films I've ever seen, hell, I've seen $2 DVD shot on DV crap that was better than Home Sweet Home! It wasn't even "bad movie" enjoyable, it was just tedious and dull. If you gave me the option of watching Unhinged for 36 hours straight or seeing Home Sweet Home again, I would choose the former. Unhinged isn't much better, but it's a masterpiece in comparison!

CPT HOOK
12-27-2011, 03:52 AM
Harsh reviews! It's not great, but it's not that bad.

Body Boy
12-27-2011, 04:01 AM
If you gave me the option of watching Unhinged for 36 hours straight or seeing Home Sweet Home again, I would choose the former. Unhinged isn't much better, but it's a masterpiece in comparison!

Hey now. I kinda like Home Sweet Home, but I agree that it's pretty dull.

But aside from awful acting, Unhinged is actually a very unnerving slasher film that has such a dark streak that it ranks up with the likes of Silent Madness, Dorm That Dripped Blood and Girls Nite Out imo.

rhett
12-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Home Sweet Home may not be all that good, but the 'roid rage killer really stands out for me in a campy way. Sort of like Ricky in Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2. It's a welcome change from the flurry of heavy-breather slashers that makeup most of the genre. They need to make a Dissidia type game with only slasher movie villains.

startide
12-27-2011, 09:41 PM
But aside from awful acting, Unhinged is actually a very unnerving slasher film that has such a dark streak that it ranks up with the likes of Silent Madness, Dorm That Dripped Blood and Girls Nite Out imo.

Really? My problem is that if a movie has issues straight up, then the rest of the movie is a wash. In Unhinged's case it was the amateurish way the opening sequences were filmed. The overhead tracking shots of the car snaking through the forest (IIRC) are terminally tedious!! No in car stuff, no backseat passenger POV, no front seat passenger POV, no front on shots, just endless, overhead tracking shots. Now true, my memory mightn't serve me that well on this film, but that's what I remember, and believe it or not, I am no film student!!! So when that was my start, I might as well stop the tape right there. I still have it on tape though so there's no reason to not revisit it some time. Unfortunately I still have Home Sweet Home, I don't think it will ever be that lucky!

STREET TRASH
01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Holy crap, I haven't posted here in nearly 8 years and what a surprise to find a thread I started right here at the top. Can't even remember why I stopped posting.

This movie still stinks :D

WesReviews
01-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Welcome back, Street Trash! :)

STREET TRASH
01-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks, Wes! Tryin to stick around a bit more often.