PDA

View Full Version : Fav Horror Director...

DeathDealer
01-16-2003, 04:51 AM
Which ones yours........

DefJeff
01-16-2003, 05:27 AM
cool poll

i chose Ruggero Deodato

mcchrist
01-16-2003, 05:29 AM
I have to go with Carpenter, he was the first director I ever identified with!

zombi3
01-16-2003, 05:36 AM
That's a tough one. There are quite a few directors that I like. But I picked Fulci because he has shown himself to be a skilled director in a wide variety of genres: horror, western, giallo, sci-fi, gangster, comedy, sword & sorcery, etc... He has made some great films, but his bad films - boy do they stink!:eek:

Shannafey
01-16-2003, 05:41 AM
That's a tough one for me, but I think it'd be Carpenter, since he's the first one I remember watching and enjoying, and still do for the most part, even though he's lost a lot of his edge. Romero's a close second. I love Argento, but I only really discovered him in the last few years.

thrashard76
01-16-2003, 05:52 AM
I went with Raimi because I like almost all of his movies. Also, he injects humour into them with some goofy one-liners and stunts.

zombi3
01-16-2003, 05:53 AM
You forgot to add Peter Jackson!:evil:

DeathDealer
01-16-2003, 05:54 AM
I know... I was thinking if I should or Should'ent.

Jason25
01-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Lucio Fulci, enough said.

the.wicked.one
01-16-2003, 06:24 AM
Argento. So many masterpieces in his filmographie.

By the way, I'm glad you didn't include Hooper.

DeathDealer
01-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Yea, I was trying to get people that have done lots of classic movies.

mcchrist
01-16-2003, 06:26 AM
By the way, I'm glad you didn't include Hooper.

I'm glad somebody said it, his catalog has gone down the crapper. Only two good flicks IMO, and a few mediocre ones, and some downright awful ones.

Cujo108
01-16-2003, 06:51 AM
My two favorite directors of all time are John Carpenter and David Cronenberg. I voted Carpenter, and I must mention that you didn't include Cronenberg!!!! :(

Eddie Quist
01-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Hello?? David Cronenberg??? :eek:

He's my favorite, so I voted for "others".

nlogax
01-16-2003, 07:36 AM
Gotta go with JC. The guy has an unbelievable amount of classics under his belt. He's shown time and time again that he is a horror GENIUS. He was also nice enough to pose for a picture with me and give me his autograph. MY LIFES DEFINING MOMENT!:D

slinker
01-16-2003, 09:33 AM
I went with Dario Argento i guess im just a sucker for stylish gothic horror!
I would have gone for Takeshi Miike but i wouldnt really rate him as a classic horror director. Ive loved all of his movies though...he seems unstoppable in his genious. :cool:

rhett
01-16-2003, 06:53 PM
No contest for me here, I had to go with the great John Carpenter. Although as I watch more Fulci films I am starting to find myself respecting his work more and more.

marioscido
01-16-2003, 07:13 PM
My pick: Mario Bava

Of folks I would pick from the list, George A. Romero and Alfred Hitchcock at the top of my list, and Brian DePalma for the best representative of the bottom of my list.

There should be a poll for 'most over-rated directors.' DePalma would be my first pick. Although, there is a handful of guys like DePalma who have a following and make mindless films.

Hellbilly
01-16-2003, 09:27 PM
John Carpenter because David Cronenberg wasn't on the list (I hate voting "others") :mad: :D

Mr.Vengance
01-16-2003, 09:49 PM
George A Romero. I can't say enough about how this man's films have moved me in the past. Cronenberg and Argento are tied for second with Fulci and Carpenter sharing third.

Jamm
01-16-2003, 10:40 PM
I voted Hitchcock. He's a brilliant brilliant man, and I'm sure if he were alive and making movies today, he'd still be scaring the (when did I eat corn?) crap out of us!!!

ZombieDrummer
01-16-2003, 11:10 PM
i voted for romero.

altho i would have liked to see jackson and cronenberg on the list!

ekent
01-17-2003, 01:11 AM
gotta go w/ raimi, he's got a style all to his self. He went a little overboard in Quick and the Dead but I like all his stuff.

mcchrist
01-17-2003, 11:52 AM
You have M. Night Shyamalan (who I wouldn't have listed to begin with) and no Stuart Gordon?

onebyone
01-17-2003, 12:42 PM
I got to go with Sam Raimi, even though he does not direct enough horror movies but he is my favorite. Still, much love to Dario Argento, John Carpenter, George Romero and the missing Cronenberg, because I love me some Scanners.

marioscido
01-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
You have M. Night Shyamalan (who I wouldn't have listed to begin with) and no Stuart Gordon?

I'm with you on that one!!

hell ya!
01-18-2003, 11:35 PM
I went with Dario Argento, he has just way too many classic films that i love. In close second its Romero who is the zombie master.:banana: :banana:

nlogax
01-19-2003, 01:52 AM
WHERES BRUNO MATTEI!?!?!?
poor Bruno, misunderstood genius

DeathDealer
01-20-2003, 11:50 PM
Never heard of him.

zombi3
01-21-2003, 02:06 AM
Never heard of Bruno Mattei?! :eek:

mcchrist
01-21-2003, 02:11 AM
muwahahahaha

KillerCannabis
01-29-2003, 11:03 AM
I had to go with Carpenter. I love all of the man's films and I'm eagerly awaiting to see what he does next.

agentc
02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
I chose Carpenter, but think Argento & a few of the others are great too.:)

Eddie Quist
02-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Shyamalan gets no respect. :bs:

John
02-03-2003, 11:26 PM
I voted for Carpenter. This was a pretty tough poll though.

EPKJ
02-14-2003, 05:48 PM
My vote goes to Dario Argento. His style just grabs one. It is difficult to compare him to anyone since his films are so unique.

geekcccp
11-20-2003, 04:59 PM
I voted for Argento simply because of his mastery of the genre...his films look so amazing and consistently scare me

Ash28M
11-20-2003, 05:11 PM
I have to go with Argento, Even his not so great films still have allot going for them.

etale
11-20-2003, 09:43 PM
I meant to vote for George Romero.

Tuzotonic
06-09-2004, 02:43 AM
I have to go with my 2 favorite Italina directors Bava and Argento and a write in vote for Bob Clark before he went into comedies.

Il Corvo
06-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Pretty easy pick for me. I'm a Dario Argento "whore". His style is unmatchable.

Il Corvo
06-09-2004, 02:51 AM
... and a write in vote for Bob Clark before he went into comedies.

Yeah. Well I'm not sure if he wanted to do an horror or comedy film, but Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things was pretty terrible.

fceurich39
06-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Wes Craven 1.lasthouse On The Left
2.hills Have Eyes Part 1 And 2
3.nightmare On Elm Street 1
4 New Nightmare
5 Scream Trilogy

mcchrist
06-14-2004, 01:27 AM
Yeah. Well I'm not sure if he wanted to do an horror or comedy film, but Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things was pretty terrible.

What!? Blasphemy!

Tom Servo
06-14-2004, 01:31 AM
I have never seen a Romero film I didn't like so I would say he is my favorite. There are plenty other directors I like as well, but Romero films just have that something extra.

6thdoctor
06-14-2004, 05:59 AM
Argento hands down..Carpenter and Cronenberg are my two back ups though....

Lyle Horowitz
06-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Probably Tod Browning, Dario Argento and Mario Bava.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Argento. I made a direct connection to his amazing sense of style and I genuinely love almost every one of his films that I've seen.

After him is Wes Craven. I don't know how the guy does it. But he's an amazing director. Most amazing about him is that he's actually mastered the exploitation, down 'n' dirty, gritty, low budget horror film, then actually gone on to become known as a style director. His ability to go back and forth, sometimes in the same movie, is unique and truly unmatched. Yeah he's had a lot of failures. But it doesn't matter. Also, unlike any other horror director, he keeps coming back. After stuff like Deadly Blessing, Invitation to Hell, and Stranger in Our House, he does A Nightmare on Elm Street and Deadly Friend and becomes the most famous horror director alive. Unfortunately it led to failures like Shocker and Serpent and the Rainbow, but he rebounded again with New Nightmare, than high a career-high with Scream, his best film to date. The sequels were very well-made as well. Yes, he flopped again with Cursed. But then, Red Eye.

BoredSeal
06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I voted for JC ;) Where is David Cronenberg or Clive Barker option? ;)

MrVess
06-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Carpenter has never made a bad film. Even the worst moments of "Ghosts of Mars" are worth more than anything and everything the Roths, Niespels and Ajas will ever steal or remake.

Erick H.
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Hitchcock is the greatest talent listed but truthfully only two of his pictures (PSYCHO and THE BIRDS ) would really be considered straight horror films.I hugely admire Terrence Fisher and Mario Bava,both sadly have passed on.Of the living horror directors I was aces with John Carpenter until the 90's when I felt he went into a serious decline,he has not been very productive of late with only a couple of MASTERS OF HORROR episodes to show off in recent years.Carpenter is much like another favorite of mine,George A. Romero in that he has lived long enough to see his signature films remade by others.That has gotta sting on some level.Romero had a long stretch of inactivity.His latest films have been solid,but not among his best.Cronenberg,who is brilliant,has moved on to other genres to dazzle us in.
That leaves me with Dario Argento as my favorite.Argento can be as erratic as a kite without a tail but he is also quite possibly the most influential (if least acknowledged) director working in the field today.He has also been quite productive recently ,with several features,a telefilm and two MASTERS segments in just the past few years.The work may vary in quality but Argento can still do something that many of his contemporaries (and most younger turks) cannot do,he can shock me with a scare scene that I didn't see coming.That counts for a lot.When Dario is gone there is gonna be one hell of a hole in the horror genre.

shithead
06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Romero barely beats out Carpenter for me.

Mattapooh
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Cronenberg, his stuff is heady, unique and downright fucked up at times. Plus almost everything he's done is worthwhile, his two most recent films being some of the best stuff he's ever done (although they're not in the horror genre).

I still think Ridley Scott's Alien is the best-directed horror flick of all time, though. Too bad he doesn't do something else in the genre.

satans-sadists
06-19-2008, 07:30 PM
My top favorites would be John Carpenter, George Romero, and Dario Argento. Sure, all of them had their share of misfires, but when taken as a whole their work has a timeless quality so rarely seen.

If forced to pick between the three, I would choose Carpenter. He's made a bunch of classics outside of horror (Escape from New York being my favorite) and I always admired the guy for his music.

Argento directed The Stendhal Syndrome :fuck:, so he gets ranked at the bottom of these three.

maskull
06-21-2008, 06:54 PM
To be honest, I'm just starting to finally see most of Argento's movies but so far the ones I've seen have all been near perfect. I'm assuming that I would be voting for him in a few more months time after I've caught up a bit more with his classics. Actually Fulci would fall into this category as well.

At the time this poll was done, I think Shyamalan would've stood a very good chance of getting my vote, but he's lost a lot of his appeal for me now.

Romero has Night, The Dark Half and The Crazies. Monkey Shines and Creep Show were decent. Dawn was cool but is a bit overrated. Day was a movie I just don't like. His new zombie flicks are....watchable. He has some great flicks but a lot of ok to crap ones as well.

Raimi has Evil Dead. He has quite a few excellent flicks that aren't horror, but this is vote for your fave horror director so...he's disqualified.

Hitchcock and Miike also are pretty low on horror movies made so they're not in the running.

Craven has Nightmare, Scream Trilogy, New Nightmare, The Hills Have Eyes, Last House, plus some others that aren't classics but are still pretty entertaining. Hell I even really enjoyed Red Eye.

Carpenter has done a ton of horror flicks that I would consider to be classics: Halloween, The Fog, The Thing, Christine, Prince Of Darkness....he also has a lot of crap horror flicks.

I think in the end my vote would go to Carpenter because he's the man who made Halloween, The Thing, and The Fog (the remake is not his fault). I think the great far outweighs the garbage. Plus on top of all that, he made Assault on Precint 13. How can I vote against that?

Of course if Clark was in the list, he would've gotten my vote.

Vlachio
06-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Dario Argento gets my vote he's the shit!

x666x
06-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Yeah, hail Dario. Plenty of eye candy even with his lackluster titles. 40 years and still going. He even had something to do with Once Upon the Time In the West. Shit...the very thought of his contribution to film humbles me.