PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Falls - a complete turd of a movie

BlazingMagnum
01-17-2003, 12:10 AM
I avoid most of the newer horror movies to be honest - especially stuff like this, but the other night I watched this movie & it really sucks very bit things!

True - it was cut to hell, but even with the gore & splattery parts intact - this movie was still a turd. It played like a TV movie slasher film.

The night before, I checked out Valentine - and it was really just a combination of major aspects of Halloween, Friday The 13th & Alone In The Dark, Totally lame - but at least it had a beginning, a middle & an end.:fire:

KillerCannabis
01-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Valentine sucked ass. So did Cherry Falls. But at least both flicks had a great piece of ass to look at.

mcchrist
01-17-2003, 11:41 AM
never seen Cherry Falls, but I'll take your word for it... Valentine blew!

the.wicked.one
01-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Valentine was horrible. Plain and simple.

Cherry Falls was good. It had odd acting, odd story, odd dialogue and odd killer, but somehow I enjoyed it. I could have done without the father/daughter almost incestuous relationship, but other than that it was fine. I've seen much worse.

tenebre
01-17-2003, 03:40 PM
i liked valentine./..

oh well

Mark Relford
01-17-2003, 05:17 PM
I didn't mind Cherry Falls. It's a watchable slasher, but it doesn't live up to the hype.

BM, try sitting through Ripper: Letter From Hell, CUT, or Christina's House. They make Cheery Falls look like a friggin' classic.

BlazingMagnum
01-17-2003, 08:27 PM
I'll give 'em a miss I think. Cherry Falls was bad enough. I think I'll stick to my 80's slasher collection. Don't Open Til Christmas, Nightmare (Nightmares In A Damaged Brain) Slaughter High, Pieces & that sort of thing. Real highbrow slasher movies :banana: :lol: :evil:

ScarredGod
01-18-2003, 12:56 PM
stupid movie but the title "cherry falls" in association with the plot is kinda cute.

Hellbilly
01-18-2003, 04:02 PM
I did enjoy Cherry Falls mostly because I like Brittany Murphy :D
There's a complete unrated Spanish DVD of Cherry Falls out there somewheres btw

Jamm
01-20-2003, 06:05 PM
I know I've put this movie in to watch several times, but I don't think I've been able to pay attention or see the whole thing from beginning to end.

One question about what I have seen of this movie:
What was the point?

Jack Sommersby
01-21-2003, 12:35 AM
Yeah, not only does Cherry Falls blows, but its finale is a grade-Z ripoff of Dressed to Kill . So disappointing. However, I rented this on a double-feature DVD, and the one on the flip side is this comedy chiller anthrology called Terror Tract , which actually offers up some good fun. Worth checking out sometime, this.

Ravenheart
04-11-2004, 05:38 PM
I liked both Valentine and Cherry Falls :)

bigdaddyhorse
04-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks to threads like this, and the odd review I've came across, I have managed to stay far away from both of these movies (aren't they both on the same disc? The one I wouldn't pay $4 for at the used store due to hearing how much both films sucked!)
Thanks all! :D

x666x
04-11-2004, 08:59 PM
I read somewhere that Cherry Falls was supposed to be gorier but had to be cut. I think the scenes were shot and everything. But it appears that they are not available to ever be reinserted. Thus, I never even bothered to watch it for a first time.

indiephantom
04-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Brittany Murphy had some very hot moments in Cherry Falls. It's not very good, but I didn't hate it.

For whatever reason, I've always liked Valentine. Not scary, but has great atmosphere and yeah...great babes.

Ash28M
04-13-2004, 12:56 PM
I thought Cherry falls was a fun underrated film and Terror Tract just sealed the deal for me, another fun film. Way better then Valentine IMO

geekcccp
10-24-2005, 03:31 AM
I just picked up Legacy of Blood and it strongly recommended Cherry Falls but I cant find it anywhere...If anyone knows where I can get a copy (any region) please let me know

RyanPC
10-24-2005, 03:41 AM
I just picked up Legacy of Blood and it strongly recommended Cherry Falls but I cant find it anywhere...If anyone knows where I can get a copy (any region) please let me know

The disc is out of print, but you can find it used at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/B000056PXL/ref=dp_olp_1//002-6932537-3716818?condition=all) and I'm sure you can get it through eBay as well.

I haven't seen this film in quite a while but I remember enjoying it. Not something I'd watch again, though.

Fumi
10-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I thought Cherry Falls was an okay movie. Not great by any means, but a whole lot better than Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer or Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

It's me, Billy
10-24-2005, 08:16 PM
I wish Cherry Falls would get rereleased on DVD in R1 with this artwork.

http://pantheronline.co.uk/shopimages/EDV9059.jpg

...and uncut and with a 16x9 enhanced transfer in its original 1.85:1 ratio.

Extras would be great too. Perhaps a commentary with the filmmakers and/or Brittany Murphy, new interviews, a documentary, deleted scenes, outtakes, etc.

I missed out on the one and only DVD release of the film in R1 and that's probably fine considering it sounded like a wasted effort. First of all, it was presented as a double feature DVD, which to me says they had no faith in the movie selling on its own. It's paired with some flick called Terror Tract which cheapens the film (Cherry Falls) and makes it seem like one of those Wal*Mart bargain bin discs. Second, the cover art is awful.

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/22886h.jpg

Oddly enough, the back of the case indicates that both films are presented in a 1.77:1 ratio. I realize there isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference between 1.77:1 and 1.85:1, but if 1.85:1 is Cherry Falls' OAR it should be presented in 1.85:1. Nowhere on the case (that I could see) does it mention whether or not these transfers are 16x9 enhanced. I wouldn't be surprised if they were non-anamorphic. Of course, the version of Cherry Falls presented on this disc is the heavily butchered edition that made its US premiere on television via USA on October 20th, 2000. As expected, no extras. Just a cheap, pathetic disc.

Considering how popular horror films are now, it's very strange that Cherry Falls hasn't received another R1 DVD release. Not only was the last DVD released way back on February 27th, 2001, but it's been out of print for the last two or three years.

Also, why does Valentine get dumped on so much? I keep reading several posts on how almost everyone hates it, but they never say why. I think it is pretty damn good. The killer had a creepy mask, that's for sure.

Hellbilly
10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I think I posted this article once, not sure in which thread :eek2:
This might be "old" news to most of you, but since this Cherry Falls thread got bumped I thought it's worth posting again:

I asked Wright about this shortly after the film came out and to make a long story short, his intended cut never made it past a low-res AVID stage. Of course, since that time he was not only forced to remove and recut extensive sections of the film, he was also forced to reshoot softer variants of everything from sex and violence to the more provocative lines of dialogue. In order to do a restoration, a full re-assembly would essentially be required, and they would need to go through endless cans of neg and mountains of editing notes to even come close to doing it right. Now, this certainly isn't impossible - indeed, Frank Mazzola did exactly that when he undertook the restoration of Donald Cammell's brilliant director's cut of WILD SIDE - but it is a very costly endeavor. I would like to think that someone would at least have a semi-watchable VHS of the first cut for easy reference, but I'm not sure.
I do agree, CHERRY FALLS is a unique, subversive satire that in its current version feels wholly tampered with. It consistently falls short of achieving the greatness that was so clearly within reach (and that I've no doubt, Wright must have initally attained - hence the uproariously knee-jerk response that his cut received from both the MPAA and USA films).

What's really awful is that had October Films not gone under and been taken over by USA while the film was in production, Wright would have almost certainly had people fighting in his corner and the film could very well have come out relatively untouched.

It's bitterly ironic that the actual negative was re-worked to achieve an R-rating for the US theatrical release...destroying the opportunity for multiple release cuts and meaning that every international territory was now stuck with the bastardized version... and it had a theatrical run almost everywhere in the world EXCEPT for the country it was mutilated for!

Paul0889
10-25-2005, 12:17 AM
i have that disc. both films are anamorphic, and cherry falls is SLIGHTLY longer than the cut on USA, but it's still missing all the cut gore mentioned on the imdb

_pi_
10-25-2005, 01:08 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love Valentine!

Cherry Falls, however, is simply horrible.

Paul0889
10-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Valentine was okay, but after reading on the imdb about all the gore cut and hearing about it on the audio commentary, it sounds like the uncut version would be sweet

geekcccp
10-25-2005, 04:06 AM
Thanks a bundle to everyone who responded...i saw that this film was on several times on USA but I hate seeing films for the first time edited....i'll seek out the dvd release..thanks again

Wez4555
10-26-2005, 05:50 AM
hows terror tract? i just noticed john ritter was in it. is it good enough to watch for a john ritter fan?

Katatonia
10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
hows terror tract? i just noticed john ritter was in it. is it good enough to watch for a john ritter fan?

I vaguely remember renting it several years ago. I don't recall it being anything special, but it wasn't bad. So yeah, Ritter fans would probably enjoy it.

bigdaddyhorse
10-26-2005, 06:54 PM

Ritter basically made that movie for me (he did get a bit over the top near the end, but it fits what was going on). Definitly worth a rent if you're a fan, quite possibly worth a blind buy if you get the disc cheap (which you should, it's in many used stores).
Cherry Falls was decent. After reading all the bash posts I thought it would suck, but I enjoyed it and now wish an un-cut version would surface. I'll give it an extra point for my first 2 guesses at the killer being wrong, nice to get fooled once in a while (last attepmt, I called Hide and Seek correct 2 minutes in :o ).

onebyone
05-20-2007, 06:21 AM
I could have done without the father/daughter almost incestuous relationship, but other than that it was fine. I've seen much worse.

I watched this for the first time tonight (thought I had seen it before, but was thinking of another movie), and I liked it well enough save for the father/daughter almost incestuous relationship. What the ever living hell was that about? Were they trying to be weird? Was this on purpose? Did they really want each other and just weren't able to act as father/daughter? Is there a lost plot bunny where he wasn't her real dad? More than once I really thought they were about to start making out or something. This of course destroyed the whole father/daughter part of the story. Strange. :eek2:

maybrick
05-20-2007, 06:45 AM
If I had paid to see it in a theater I would've walked out. If I had rented it, I would've taken it out of the player. But I was with my niece and she appeared okay with it and there was nothing else to do or watch so I was stuck.

hellraiser40
05-20-2007, 11:46 AM
i never noticed that the father and daughter had more going on with each other and i've seen the movie twice.

not too bad, but i read the MPAA had some gore cut out, so eventually its balls were cut off from the beginning

onebyone
05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't know man. That's (http://www.michaelbiehn.net/data/scrncaps/cherryfalls/cherryfalls029.html) not your typical father-daughter (http://www.michaelbiehn.net/data/scrncaps/cherryfalls/cherryfalls031.html) vibe if you ask me, and that's just one questionable scene. Don't get me started on this one (http://www.michaelbiehn.net/data/scrncaps/cherryfalls/cherryfalls042.html).

hellraiser40
05-21-2007, 02:11 AM
that indeed seems to insinuate that something's going on.

but to be honest, i don't care, movies are the only place where this is allowed. if one can stand to see how someone is murdered (or a very sadistic variation) in a movie (see most gory horror movies), one shouldn't be upset when this happens. maybe they were dating at the moment?

and maybe the director added this on purpose, just to stick something dirty or off the wall in it, instead of the usual, cute PG-horror

but alas, the gore was cut, and that's a more important issue. of course, many people here are right when they claim this one isn't worth much, but i have seen much worse

onebyone
05-21-2007, 02:43 AM
that indeed seems to insinuate that something's going on.

but to be honest, i don't care, movies are the only place where this is allowed. if one can stand to see how someone is murdered (or a very sadistic variation) in a movie (see most gory horror movies), one shouldn't be upset when this happens. maybe they were dating at the moment?

and maybe the director added this on purpose, just to stick something dirty or off the wall in it, instead of the usual, cute PG-horror

but alas, the gore was cut, and that's a more important issue. of course, many people here are right when they claim this one isn't worth much, but i have seen much worse

The movie really didn't need anything more "dirty," it needed more gore. The whole concept was dirty enough. I can't imagine that was it. I think it got in the way of what seemed to be one of the main factors of the story, her realizing her father was not the hero she thought him to be (as well as making the whole virgin question seem the least of her worries), and added nothing but a few strange "WTFs??" to the movie. I am not losing sleep over it mind you, I just wondered if there was a worthwhile reason for this vibe to be in the movie (a cut plotline perhaps???) or if it was just an acting disaster of some kind.

I will shut up about the father/daughter incest vibe now though, as I think I already worried more about this movie than anyone making it did. Oh well. It did have crazy Jay Mohr in drag, and that alone made the movie worth seeing once.