PDA

View Full Version : Boogeyman/The Devonsville Terror

Suicide
01-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Here I am again, with another DVD I wanna pick, asking for opinions. I do this alot don't I? Hope no one minds, just I don't know anyone who likes horror movies. Apart from people who say things like "If it's scarier than the Sixth Sense, I don't wanna see it, that's as scary as I go." or "Oh I heard Queen of the Damned was goood." So anyway my local Suncoast also has this Anchor Bay double feature with a nice $9.99 price tag. And I don't know how long they'll have it, I missed out on the Blind Dead double feature and don't wanna have to hunt this one out if I decide I want it.

I never gave either movie much thought because for one the titles do nothing for me, and the double feature cover is really cheap looking, but I've heard they're both really interesting movies, so is that correct or was I lied to by Amazon user reviews? Thoughts? Reviews? Discuss...

Shannafey
01-17-2003, 10:56 PM
I have an old vhs of Boogey Man, and haven't seen it in a while, but remember it being an original and entertaining slasher.

the.wicked.one
01-18-2003, 01:11 AM
I have this double feature disk in question and I say you should pick it up.

I've only seen The Boogeyman and it's a personnal favorite of mine. At it's core it's a slasher film but it incorporates so many other elements that make it stand out. It's creepy and it's fun at the same time. Highly recommended.

The disk is bare and I haven't seen Devonsville yet... but buy it for Boogeyman alone and you won't regret it.

speanroc
01-18-2003, 01:56 AM
i agree get it for... the boogeyman ,and for $9.99

you can't go wrong

patmcgahern
01-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Has to be said Boogeyman, (or THE BOGEYMAN as vipco like to call it) is pure classic. Devonsville terror on the other hand is such a let down that even the director admits he was "experimenting". Definitely pick it up for Bogeyman, but only watch Devonsville if your bored and its raining outside and none of your friends are coming outside because that weird man who sits in his ice-cream van all day has been staring and..... Oh sorry I appear to be ranting.

betterdan
01-18-2003, 02:16 AM
I have this disc also and really like it. It has trailers for the boogeyman on it. Both movies are well worth the price. Only thing that could improve is an animorphic transfer but it is an old release so oh well.

Joel Groce
01-18-2003, 04:34 AM
Yeah I really like this one - kind of a mix between a slasher and a supernatural horror flick - creepy and creative. On the flip side, "The Devonsville Terror" sucked hard - even Donald Pleasance couldn't save it...I won't be flipping this one again...but for $9.99 you can't lose here.

Jack Sommersby
01-21-2003, 12:37 AM
I've been passing the favorable word-of-mouth on this underseen little treasure for years. Always thought German director Ulli Lommel was way more capable and accomplished than most of those overemployed Italian hacks like Argento and Fulci. It's a film that depends far more on mood and atmosphere than by-the-numbers 'Boo!' moments. And thank goodness for Anchor Bay for not only giving this a long-overdue letterboxed transfer, but for including Lommell's The Devonsville Terror on the flip side of the DVD -- and all for the retail price of only $14.95, which, of course, I wound up snagging from a Best Buy for 5 bucks cheaper.

CrumpsBro
01-24-2003, 09:17 AM
BOOGEYMAN is a favorite of mine, too. Very creepy. I scooped up this disk years ago.

Just for the record, DEVONSVILLE TERROR isn't that bad, it's just a little too much like a TV movie. BUT one reason why you should watch it anyway.... Suzanna Love gets (briefly) nekkid! She's a hottie!

Suicide
01-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Okay, thanks guys, I'll probably swing by the store and pick it up Monday. I know if something is OOP it's best to grab it immediately, but I've seen that disc at Suncoast for well over a year now so I think it'll stay put for 3 more days. I just wish I didn't miss out on the $10 Blind Dead double feature. I'd pick it tomorrow, but I just realized my new job isn't gonna pay much, so I gotta keep my splurging to a minimum. I wonder what Suncoast does if they catch shoplifers?;)

Cujo108
01-24-2003, 09:34 AM
I disagree with most of you, as I absolutely love THE DEVONSVILLE TERROR, and while THE BOOGEYMAN is okay, I bought this double feature just for DEVONSVILLE.

KillerCannabis
02-01-2003, 09:02 PM
I used to have this double feature and didnt really enjoy either flick. I had heard Boogeyman was agood movie, but after viewing it I felt it wasnt what I heard it was.

betterdan
02-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Hey Cujo I liked Devonsville Terror too.

Cujo108
02-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Groovy. :) I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one.

betterdan
02-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Groovy? Been watching Bruce Campbell a little too much huh?:lol:

shift
02-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Boogyman is cool. terror is ok. diffentatly worth the 9 bucks!

wago70
02-07-2003, 07:19 PM
I urge you to get this DVD. I have never seen Boogeyman look so clear and colorful as it does here. One thing, I wish Anchor Bay had included the full theatrical trailer on the disc. Still there are the well-remembered TV spots which are essentially the same. Some horror websites from the UK have the full trailer for download.

Suicide
02-26-2003, 03:27 AM
Well I finally picked it up a few weeks ago, I unfortunately got accidentally kicked off the forum for like 3 weeks so I couldn't post back until I started this whole new user name. So here I am now I watched the Boogeyman, which I liked, could've been better, but a pretty good time either way. For example the scissor scene was very well done, but then the scissor girls sister gets a not at all gruesome death by being tapped in the head with a cabinet door. It looked like a blooper accidentally made it's way into the film. But that's minor.

I watched like 20 minutes of Devonsville, but had other stuff to attend to. Devonsville had one of the strangest death scenes I've seen. When they tied the witch to some big ass flaming wheel and rolled her down a hill at the beginning. I laughed my ass off and rewinded that part several times. I really liked that Suzanna Love girl, she was quite hot in the Boogeyman. Unfortunately they had her with some kinda redhaired mullet look, it didn't really look too hot. Anyway not a bad way to spend $8.09.

mcchrist
02-26-2003, 03:56 AM
Well I finally picked it up a few weeks ago, I unfortunately got accidentally kicked off the forum for like 3 weeks so I couldn't post back until I started this whole new user name.

What the hell? At least you're back dude!

Suicide
02-26-2003, 04:28 AM
Yeah, thanks it's good to be back. I figured you guys missed me:lol: Anyway what happened was I screwed something up with my email so I couldn't get on the forum, so I tried emailing Dave but I guess he didn't get it, so I finally just started a new one. I do miss the "Son of Bud the Chud" line under my username, and my 8 hundred and some odd post count, maybe I'll see if Dave can fix it for me.

onebyone
02-27-2003, 12:55 AM
I was about to start a thread on this movie and now I see there is no need. I will just go order the dvd right now. :banana:

Ravenheart
04-11-2004, 05:31 PM
I picked up this DVD awhile ago for The Devonsville Terror,I love that movie,and found that I liked The Boogeyman alot too.It was different to say the least.

Wez4555
04-11-2004, 06:20 PM
just watched this a few weeks ago. boogeyman was the shit. suprising it didnt suck. i tried watching devonsville terror but it was too boring. is boogeyman 2 good? i heard it sucked.

DefJeff
04-11-2004, 08:13 PM
The ending of The Devonsville Terror rules Wez! Definitally make it through once just to see it.

Cujo108
04-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I love Devonsville through and through, but the climax towards the end is definitely the highlight of the film. Outstanding scene with awesome music to boot!

bigdaddyhorse
04-11-2004, 08:52 PM
I grabbed this disc a while back when everyone thought it was OOP (right when Media Play/Suncoast had those stacks of Blind Dead discs for cheap as well).
I really didn't like either movie that much, but did get all my $ back X2 on ebay. Now I see this disc everywhere. Maybe I'll give it another chance, but I remember the only thing I liked was Ms. Love.

Wez4555
04-12-2004, 07:28 PM
The ending of The Devonsville Terror rules Wez! Definitally make it through once just to see it. i guess i watch it again to see the ending.

RyanPC
04-12-2004, 11:57 PM
I used to own this double feature DVD but sold it. The Boogeyman was OK, a little dull and not worth much more than one viewing. The Devonsville Terror was boring as hell, I didn't even finish it.

Tuzotonic
06-09-2004, 01:30 AM
I bought the double feature because I heard that the BoogeyMan was good and I remembered the Devonsville Terror being pretty good. However when I played it, I realized that they had put the wrong movie in the case. I'm not sure how this happened since the movie was brand new Oh well I guess I'll just have to go out and buy it again.

dwatts
10-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Huh - it's taken me three years and some months before sitting down and watching Devonsville Terror. I actually wanted to watch The Boogey Man, bit I put the disc in wrong side up. :D

Still, I let it run. It's a rather silly (all too familiar) story without any surprises. Donald Pleasance is in it, but it's basically a cameo (he never leaves the room he starts in).

Still, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It's your typical witches get killed, town is cursed, witches come back story. Some female flesh is on show, and there's a great melting face scene. Though non-anamorphic, the 1.85:1 print isn't too bad actually.

This is one of those no-thrill type films that isn't special in any way, but nonetheless entertains genre fans looking for something to pass the time with. Glad I watched this tonight.

RyanPC
10-09-2007, 01:23 AM
I actually repurchased this double feature DVD, and finally got around to watching The Devonsville Terror all the way through a few months ago. It was slightly boring, but not terrible. At least the storyline was mildly interesting and the setting was nice. The Boogeyman is a better film, but again it's not a huge favorite of mine. For some reason I really like the DVD, though.

dwatts
10-09-2007, 01:55 AM
It's an old school DVD mate, from the beginning of time it seems. The menus are sub-Brentwood, and there are no extras. The non-anamorphic slightly soft transfers ain't helping things. Nor is the coevr art.

But like you, I couldn't be without it. It just belongs in my collection somehow.

Denvonshire is by the numbers, so I guess it could come across as boring. I found myself enjoying it though. And whenever I felt I might get bored, a woman took her top off. (Or Pleasance pulled a worm from his vein) :D