PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Euro zombie flick

zombi3
01-18-2003, 05:01 AM
Some are good and some are not so good. Some are so bad, they're good. So what's your favorite?

Cujo108
01-18-2003, 05:47 AM
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD all the way! It is Fulci's best film if you ask me, and is a solid classic full of graphic gore, cool zombies, creepy small town atmosphere, and eerie music! Coming in a close second and third are LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE and ZOMBIE.

thrashard76
01-18-2003, 07:30 AM
1. The Beyond
2. Zombie
3. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
4. Burial Ground
5. Hell Of The Living Dead :evil:

Mr.Vengance
01-18-2003, 07:32 AM
I'm gonna go with Zombie on this one. Out of the options I personally enjoy BEYOND more than any others but I feel that Beyond isn't quite a zombie film. I feel it's got more going for it.

I've always considered myself a fan of zombie films but after looking over the different titles in the list I find many of the titles that I've not even seen. Specifically I've managed to miss out on Zombie 3, Zombie 4, Burial Ground, Oasis of The Zombies, and Killing Birds. Come to think of it I don't believe that I've ever even heard of Killing Birds.

Are these films really worth checking out?

DefJeff
01-18-2003, 07:42 AM
i have a special place in my heart for almost all of them, but City of the Living Dead is the clear best one in my opinion

mcchrist
01-18-2003, 10:49 AM
We are going to eat you!

onebyone
01-18-2003, 12:01 PM
I love almost every one of these, but I just got to go with City of the Living Dead. That is a gore masterpiece baby. I mean, all those brains. You can't beat it.

Hellbilly
01-18-2003, 01:27 PM
ZOMBIE for me!

the.wicked.one
01-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie got my vote but there are tons of great films on that list and it was hard to chose.

zombi3
01-18-2003, 04:17 PM
I'm going with Hell of the Living Dead, purely for cheap entertainment value, with Burial Ground as a close second. (I love the cheese) But I think the Beyond is the best in terms of gore and atmosphere. City of the Living Dead and Zombie are also great! :evil:

ekent
01-18-2003, 05:08 PM
I love HellOTLD, love that music as the opening themes are playing (also on the menu) + the Goblin score from Dawn makes it a solid power cheeze Euro flick. I just love this movie for some reason. GOtta love Mattei's alter ego "Vincent Dawn" in the director seat. That would be funny if they added Vincent Dawn to that directors poll :lol:

rhett
01-18-2003, 06:20 PM
There are a lot of favorites here, notably Nightmare City, Burial Ground and City of the Living Dead, but I have to go with Fulci's masterpiece, The Beyond. I've seen it a number of times since you sent it to me Jeff, and each viewing is better than the next!

Hernster
01-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Attack, Dickie! Attack!.

hell ya!
01-18-2003, 10:32 PM
I had to go with Hell of the Living Dead even tho i love Fulci's zombie movies(COTLD being the best) theres just something about HOTLD makes me love it so much, its probably the CHEESE:banana: :banana: :banana:

nlogax
01-19-2003, 12:51 AM
HOLTD is awesome, I used to pop it in once a week. Its just SO damned entertaining!
BRUNO MATTEI IS A GOD!

the.wicked.one
01-19-2003, 04:59 AM
I agree that HOTLD is a hoot. One of the funnest films I've ever seen. It's Mattei's masterpiece.

BlazingMagnum
01-19-2003, 08:37 PM
I like most of the above - but The Beyond gets it from me, for sheer nostalgia. Also all of the other Fulci stuff, I know it's not strictly a zom movie - but House By The Cemetery is beautiful.

Eddie Quist
01-20-2003, 06:56 AM
I like alot of the movies listed, but in the end I have to go with good ol' maggot-ridden ZOMBIE. :D

STREET TRASH
01-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Most of these are really dreary and dull (uh, "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie" is drop-dead boring and mind-boggilingly overrated.) A few of them do hold a special place in my heart, though. "Zombie" is sort of the quintessential european zombie flick, and boasts some really nice atmosphere and great effects. On the other hand, "Burial Ground" is non-stop gore, grime and sleaze. And still, "Hell of the Living Dead" has a rockin' patchwork music score, a guy prancing around in a ballerina skirt and some great one-liners. I decided to choose "Zombie Holocaust" simply because it didn't seem like anyone else had voted for it. And I was right. Besides, it's just as fun as the others and it has Donald O'Brien.

nofxafi
01-23-2003, 07:08 AM
Two questions....
Whoever voted Other....what would you have voted for?

What is Killing Birds?????

zombi3
01-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Killing Birds (aka Raptors) is a decent , not great, zombie flick from 1987. It involves some dopey birdwatchers who go looking for birds, but instead run into the living dead. It was directed by Claudio Lattanzi (?), produced by Joe D'Amato, and it stars Robert Vaughn. If I'm not mistaken, Joe D'Amato had originally planned for Michele Soavi to direct Killing Birds, but Soavi turned it down because Dario Argento hired him to direct The Church. Anyway, Shriek Show has this film scheduled for a dvd release.

the.wicked.one
01-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by zombi3
Killing Birds (aka Raptors) is a decent , not great, zombie flick from 1987. It involves some dopey birdwatchers who go looking for birds, but instead run into the living dead. It was directed by Claudio Lattanzi (?), produced by Joe D'Amato, and it stars Robert Vaughn. If I'm not mistaken, Joe D'Amato had originally planned for Michele Soavi to direct Killing Birds, but Soavi turned it down because Dario Argento hired him to direct The Church. Anyway, Shriek Show has this film scheduled for a dvd release.

Never heard of it but it sounds like fun. Thanks for the info.

Cujo108
01-24-2003, 01:32 AM
KILLING BIRDS is great fun, and I like it better than BURIAL GROUND. Also, I have to completely disagree about LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE being boring. Its one of my favorite zombie films!

Grim
01-26-2003, 08:34 PM
I voted for the beyond. You gotta love the atmosphere, the gore, and david warbeck's sucky marksmanship

geekcccp
11-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie is such a good film....I am so glad that AB gave it a decent edition because my VHS was running real thin....It gets my vote

etale
11-24-2003, 10:28 PM
ZOMBIE for me!

Same here!!

Horrorcore
12-01-2003, 03:57 PM
I love Sleeping corpse. I also enjoy the cheese that is children shouldnt play with dead things not euro but
cheap zombie fun all the same.

jasonmperry70
12-05-2003, 03:47 AM
I would have to go with The Beyond. Apart from the hilarious errors (DO NOT ENTRY; Warbeck loading a gun by dropping bullets down the barrel), it had great atmosphere and a decent story.

RyanPC
12-13-2003, 07:14 PM
ZOMBIE for me, it's also one of my all-time favorite films. I also love CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, NIGHTMARE CITY, LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE, THE BEYOND, BURIAL GROUND, and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST.

Meanie
12-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Zombie is my favorite.
I have all the movies on DVD except Oasis and Killing Birds.

I had Killing Birds, watched it once and thought it was absolute SHIT and sold it.
I don't know how anyone could find enjotyment in that film. It is terrible slow, no gore, no nudity, very little zombies or action and it makes no sense (and not in the fun cheesy way)

Dr_Acula
01-02-2004, 10:21 PM
HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD is my favorite, but LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE is probably the best film, quality-wise.

The Chaostar
01-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Same with Cujo. City all the way!