PDA

View Full Version : Underrated horror classics that truly deserve a special edition

Jon
12-23-2000, 08:22 PM
It's fantastic that with such a mainstream format as DVD, such little favourites can be brought out in beautifully-transferred special editions, making previously unknown or unavailable gems available to those unwisened souls.

Carnival of Souls, Sisters and Piranha were just three that I counted down the days for until they arrived at my door.

These are, arguably, classics that fully deserve to be released in such glorious editions, that only those who post on WWW-boards like this knew about.

Some fun but ultimately bad movies don't deserve deluxe treatment (apart from a 16x9 transfer), but there are those that definetely do, however unknown. Let's go:

The Fearless Vampire Killers
Eyes Without a Face
Don't Look Now
Theatre of Blood
Demon Seed
Our Mother's House
Alligator

I know I'll think of some more later. Anyone else?

Cujo108
12-23-2000, 11:50 PM
Here are some that definitely deserve SE treatment:

Prince of Darkness
They Live
The Hitcher
Scanners
The Hills Have Eyes
Duel
Videodrome
Rabid
Silver Bullet
The Guyver
The Guyver 2

There are several more, but I don't have time to list them right now.

hojimoji
12-24-2000, 12:12 AM
Speaking of Videodrome, I think Cronenberg deserves an SE box set.

ArrowBeach
12-24-2000, 12:13 AM
DEATHSHIP

CLONUS HORROR

DVD Connoisseur
12-24-2000, 12:29 AM
Society - one very bizarre movie but an old favourite of mine! Beverley Hills - 90201 meets Cronenberg!

Vdlman
12-24-2000, 12:41 AM
The Monster Squad
Night of the Creeps
From Beyond

joltaddict
12-24-2000, 12:53 AM
Cujo108 I would have expected you to say Cujo! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif The current DVD is sorely lacking.

My personal choice would be The Amityville Horror. They could do a 3 disk set on the stuff they have done about that house. I feel really cheated by the barebones one out now.

Mark Relford
12-24-2000, 02:40 AM
YES!!! The Fearless Vampire Killers deserves a sweet SE! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif But I think MGM holds the rights.

Classics:

Freaks
El Topo
Repulsion
The Tenant
It's Alive
Targets
Parents
Night of the Creeps

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

joltaddict
12-24-2000, 02:57 AM
I'd take Repulsion in any form at this point, it doesn't even have to be a SE, just get it on DVD already.

Now Freaks I'll wait for. They better not release this bare-bones. I heard there was an ownership dispute though and thats why it hasn't been released.

------------------
Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder (http://www.crosswinds.net/~joltaddict/dvdcatalog.htm)

landrvr
12-25-2000, 03:05 PM
Last Man on Earth.

see my (amateur) review in a recent thread.

AceRimRat
12-26-2000, 09:53 PM
I'll cast my usual votes for The Prowler and Night of the Demons, and second those for They Live and Night of the Creeps.

Nos4ah2
12-27-2000, 09:16 PM
I'll second Last Man on Earth...
I was really excited to hear that Elite was supposed to be releasing this, but now that it looks like that's not going to happen, I'm pretty disappointed.
I'll also second the Tenant!!! I'd give my eyeteeth for this on dvd at all, let alone a special edition!!!

And a huge vote for VideoDrome, and pretty much every Cronenberg flick! I think the man deserves a fuggin SE box set!

[This message has been edited by Nos4ah2 (edited 12-27-2000).]

The Chaostar
12-30-2000, 03:01 PM
Anyone remembers THE BLACK ROOM?
The one with the blood transfusions and stuff? A VERY SICK AND TWISTED FILM I might add and with a haunting finale. A real cult movie.
Yeah, I'd love a S.E. of Eyes Without A Face though not from Criterion.
I am not giving 40$ for a dvd with no extras (for what extras might there be for a 50 years olf french film?) and a grainy transfer!
Also, someone MUST AT LAST release Four FLies On Grey Velvet....

The Chaostar
12-30-2000, 03:04 PM
And El Topo! How could I forget that one?
And Notte Dei Terrore of Andrea Bianchi (I can't remember the english title - anyone can help me on this one?)

Vdlman
12-30-2000, 03:24 PM
Chaostar, the English title is Burial Ground.

The Chaostar
12-30-2000, 03:35 PM
Thanx for the answer and happy new year!

Cujo108
12-30-2000, 06:49 PM
I new I forgot to put something on my list! Yes, the current Cujo DVD sucks ass to the bone. I can't believe that Artisan released such a shitty version of this classic! I do love the cover art though.