PDA

View Full Version : Unhinged DVD

Mark Relford
01-21-2003, 12:01 AM
How's the quality/extras? Is it worth a blind purchase?

speanroc
01-21-2003, 12:16 AM
just bought this the other day

it is full screen decent print(seen worse,seen better)
fully uncut, audio commentery , and an early interview
from an old program from 1980 ,with the director and one of the
stars, and motion menus,

basically if you like the film this is the best you are gonna see
of it.

i recommended it

STREET TRASH
01-21-2003, 02:32 AM
The DVD itself isn't too bad. The print is marginally better than your ever day VHS. Like speanroc already mentioned, it has some pretty interesting extras. I'm actually surprised there are even any. The audio commentary in particular stands out - it's a bunch of critics and writers that had absolutely nothing to do with the film. They goof on it a la MST3k.

As for the movie, I feel it's highly underrated as far as early '80s slashers are concerned. There isn't a whole lot of violence, or even a high body count, really. The film instead relies on atmosphere, creepy visuals and a spooky synthesizer score. The twist ending, which I didn't see coming, was nice as well.

I 2nd the recommendation.

Mark Relford
01-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks, guys!

Zodiac-Mindwarp
01-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the cool responses on this question guys.

I noticed this while shopping this morning, but Mark beat me to the punch for asking the question. Thanks Mark.

Sounds like it will be worth checking out.

Fistfuck
01-22-2003, 03:48 AM
The end chase sequence was particularly tense, in comparison to the minimalistic first 4/5ths of the movie.

Hellbilly
01-22-2003, 10:26 PM
I've never seen this one but it sounds interesting though.
I'll keep an eye out for the DVD.

Wermode
01-25-2003, 01:51 AM
I'm going to be the one to say it, folks: Unhinged is BORING. It's a short film that seemed like hours, and I am a very patient viewer. The only time I wasn't bored, I was embarrassed for the "actors."

I made a rare blind-buy of Unhinged (based on the cover, which erroneously makes it look like a gore film) and truly regret it. Why this film made the video nasties list I have no idea. :sleepy:

My advice? Rent or borrow it first.

mcchrist
01-27-2003, 02:52 AM
I found a copy of this yesterday for $4.99... Still didn't buy it though, although I should have because it still sells for about twice that much or more on ebay.

Mark Relford
01-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
I found a copy of this yesterday for $4.99...

Where?:eek1:

mcchrist
01-30-2003, 02:08 AM
Used CD store in town, you want it? PM me.

Steve Crotte
02-04-2003, 02:29 PM
For 4.99 on dvd? I would grab it if i wuz you.

I didnt particularly dig that film, but it's got one thing that 99% of the horror films out there werent able to provide ....and that was to make me JUMP like a stupid child!!! LOL . Just that one scene....i'll remember all my life.

mcchrist
02-04-2003, 03:49 PM
I'm familiar with it, but I still wouldn't shell out even $4.99 for a DVD I know I'd never watch.

Tuzotonic
06-17-2004, 12:28 AM
I have almost bought this a few times but I'm waiting until I find it really cheap. Somewhere in the $5-7 range. I remember it being not bad but not good enough to spend more than $10 on it

Katatonia
06-17-2004, 12:37 AM
I have almost bought this a few times but I'm waiting until I find it really cheap. Somewhere in the $5-7 range. I remember it being not bad but not good enough to spend more than $10 on it

Grab it while you can, it recently went OOP.

dwatts
06-17-2004, 05:30 PM
I bought this for for around $12. Is it good? No, of course not --LOL-- I'm glad I have it though.

Features? Well, it has an aduio commentary. Do yourself a favor though - and DON'T EVER EVER EVER listen to it. It's so bad - I can hardly bear thinking about it. It's supposedly by a bunch of "comedians", but they're using the term VERY loosely.

I don't regret buying it, it has a nice booklet. As a "video nasty" I'm glad I picked it up. I'd have a hard time justifying it as a good film though.

VideoViolence
06-24-2004, 04:46 AM
The dvd went oop? Damn, they need to redo it again then.

dwatts
06-24-2004, 06:26 AM
The DVD release wasn't bad. It had a fun little booklet and all. The cover was naff (not theatrical art) and the commentary was an insult. Maybe if someone showed it a little nmore respect. Having said that, this is a solid "C" Movie :D

VideoViolence
06-25-2004, 04:16 AM
The director did something a few years ago, so maybe it should be re-released with his commentary and a bunch of other stuff as well.

Katatonia
06-25-2004, 06:57 AM
The director did something a few years ago, so maybe it should be re-released with his commentary and a bunch of other stuff as well.

Let me tell you right now that you would not want to sit through a commentary with this director. I bought the DVD for The Devil's Keep which he also directed. He was silent on the commentary track about 80% of the time. It was incredibly booooooriiiiiinnnnnnng to listen to.

Dusk
06-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Laughing at the above.

Shame they got a bunch of nobodies to tear into it. As if they're more famous then the nobodies who made the film. Big fan of this flick. Its segregated locale, perverse outlook and hypnotic synth score contribute to it greatly. Underrated.

Tuzotonic
06-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Grab it while you can, it recently went OOP.

What's OOP? I've seen it on other threads and I was wondering what it stood for.

Katatonia
06-26-2004, 07:59 AM
What's OOP? I've seen it on other threads and I was wondering what it stood for.

Out Of Print

ZWBLS
07-01-2004, 02:22 PM
It's NOT worth the money, This movie sucks!

HorrorMaster
07-17-2004, 11:47 PM
It's definitley worth checking out. The ending reminded me of "Sleepaway Camp". It can be boring at times, but the death scenes are pretty cool, and the audio commentary is funny as hell. The interview in the extras is pretty cool too. Also, I have no idea why the hell this was put on the video nasties list. The director even said in the extras he wasn't trying to make this film all that gory. Then again, "Driller Killer" was put on the video nasties list probably just because of the title. Bottom line is, "Unhinged" gets my thumbs up.

~THE MASTER~

dvdfan
08-20-2004, 10:51 PM
There is an alternate main menu that features the original banned poster art in full color. There are two ways to find this, either hit the Title button on your remote and go to Title 10 or wait for the end credits to finish and you will be automatically taken to the new main menu.