PDA

View Full Version : The Witches?

Suicide
01-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Okay, I'm kinda new to Hammer, I've only seen Horror of Dracula so far, I've seen alot of bits and pieces of other Hammer stuff, and all, but HOD is the only I've seen all the way through. But I've got a Hammer book and looking through it there's lot's of stuff I wanna check out. I've seen the Witches at my local Suncoast pretty cheap, and I've read reviews that make it sound like I'd enjoy it, so is it a good one for someone just getting into Hammer stuff to try or should I try something else and lead up to the Witches?

Also while I'm here any one recommend MGM's Hound of the Baskervilles?

dwatts
01-24-2003, 10:55 AM
No knowledge on Hound.

I do own The Witches though. I enjoy it very much indeed. It really does feel like a typical hammer film, with an engaging story, solid acting and an interesting end. Having said that - there is a dance sequence that kinda makes me laugh each time I see it. But I got it for cheap too - and honestly, 99% of the film is genuine Hammer fun. Recommend it highly.

mutleyhyde
01-24-2003, 08:39 PM
The Witches is a very good film, but slightly odd for Hammer, as it's a cross breed between their gothic and modern pieces, but one that I think handles the blend quite well. I say check it out.

As for Hound, it's not the best of Sherlock screen adaptations, but you can't go wrong with Lee and Cushing together. I'd recommend it, putting it on par with the better Corman Poe adaptations as far as cinematic style, and then as I said, for the star pairing. http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Andrew
01-25-2003, 07:20 PM
HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES is great. Unfortunately it seems I've LOST THE FUCKING DISC! I don't know how or where it went, but one day I pulled it off the shelf and there was no disc inside. I was quite pissed off. I really liked the movie too.

Other Hammer recommendations: RASPUTIN fucking rocks. I bought it and finally popped it in cus of Hyde's praise. Man what an awesome movie. And for $5. PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES is equally awesome, as well.

mutleyhyde
01-26-2003, 02:47 AM
Rasputin... the MAAAAADDDDDDDD Monk!!!!! :lol:

Yes, GREAT movie! :D

Suicide
01-26-2003, 02:59 AM
Okay thanks for the help, I went ahead and ordered it online. I got The Witches, Boogey Man/The Devonsville Terror and Ruby for about $22. And I'm gonna check out Hound from Netflix next week.

I hate it when you misplace a disc, that bugs the hell out of me. I remembered I had Anchor Bay's Invaders From Mars and went to grab it, and the disc is just gone. I've never taken that DVD or it's case out of my room, so I just know I probably stuck it in another case and totally forgot all about it. I don't lose DVDs too often, I do it with CDs constantly though. I need to go through everything DVD and CD case I have, I'm sure I'll find stuff I don't even remember buying.

betterdan
01-26-2003, 05:26 AM
Get rid of that Anchor Bay Invaders from Mars and get the MGM one. It's much nicer.

Evil Disco Guy
01-26-2003, 05:47 AM
I always believed the Lee/Cushing adaptation of The Hound of the Baskervilles was the better one but being a massive fan of both actors I guess I'm a little biased. And The Witches is great fun, you should enjoy it.

EPKJ
01-27-2003, 06:13 AM
I own The Witches. It is an odd little film with a good plot which keeps one engaged. I recommend it. MGM's Hound Of The Baskervilles is a must for any Hammer fan. This is a good transfer with a terrific price. Buy them both.

Hammerfan
01-28-2003, 09:19 AM
"The Witches" aka "The Devil's Own" came on the heels of the "aged screen star turned scream queen" phenomenon of the 1960s. Joan Fontaine had won an Oscar 25 years prior and was on the short list of acclaimed film legends stepping into the horror genre (Olivia DeHavilland aka Fontaine's real life sister, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Talulah Bankhead had already had major horror film successes by that time. Hammer had a hit with "The Nanny" the year before with Bette Davis so it was little wonder they were looking to cash in on the very popular trend. Anyone familiar with Joan Fontaine's body of work, which dated back to the late 1930s, knows this is not her greatest role...but perhaps her most fun. I LOVED "The Witches" in every way. Lots of eerie Hammer touches which add to the suspense of the story. Its the "little film that could" some 37 years after its release. For the most part it still holds up to this day... even during its most campy moments.

:)

Suicide
01-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by betterdan
Get rid of that Anchor Bay Invaders from Mars and get the MGM one. It's much nicer.

Well, I found Invaders. It was in my Modern Vampires case. (I own Modern Vampires? When did that happen?) I planned on selling it on eBay for a few dollars and getting the MGM one, seeing that I collect those, but it being in the MV case along with the actual MV disc it got all scratched up. So I may just keep that one for now. But once I stop being lazy and work more than 3 days a week I'll pick the MGM disc.