PDA

View Full Version : Noted Japanese Director Passes Away

Luna
01-25-2003, 02:18 AM
I figured I'd paste this here in case anyone wanted to know. :(

I didn't see a thread about this, so if one exists, forgive me for repeating old news...

Courtesy of rue-morgue.com:

"NOTED JAPANESE DIRECTOR PASSES AWAY
Director Kinji Fukasaku passed away on January 12 in the midst of filming the sequel to his seminal BATTLE ROYALE. He was 72 years old. Fukasaku announced last year that he had prostate cancer and would continue to do what he loved most, filmmaking, as long as he lived. The director held true to his promise. His son, who often works alongside his father, will complete the film, scheduled for release this summer. The late director was responsible for the original BATTLE ROYALE, a film that has been lauded the world over as one of the most shocking and violent films of all time. See RM#26 for more on this notable director and the story behind BATTLE ROYALE."

dwatts
01-25-2003, 02:27 AM
Hate to see him go.

--a film that has been lauded the world over as one of the most shocking and violent films of all time.--

Tho - is a complete joke. Lauded by people who don't watch horror films maybe. Shocking? Nah. Violent? where?

KillerCannabis
02-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Thats a great loss. I loved BR and even though I was leery of a sequel, I doubt that Fukasaku would have given us a total turd to follow up what many consider to be his masterpiece. I just hope his son was endowed with the talent that his old man had so he can finish BR2 the right way.

Erg0n
02-02-2003, 04:24 AM
BR was pretty good. didn't know that the guy was in his 70's and still directing that's pretty damn good.