PDA

View Full Version : Need some help understanding Kairo/Pulse....

marcx
01-27-2003, 04:47 AM
I watched this for the first time lonight. I loved the creepiness and the visuals and the apocolyptic feel. Howwever, Im a little confused by the plot?

Where the dead seeking the living to join them in death because they were lonely? And yest the film seems to say that the dead do not want any more people to die as the afterworld is overcrowded.

Maybe they want it tobe overcrowded due to tits loneliness os they have to spill over and make conact with people?

Ans waht about the forbidden rooms? Are those the locations therir spirits spill over into?

Help and discussion would be MUCH appreciated

Mr.Vengance
01-27-2003, 09:19 AM
This film floored me the first time I saw it. The atmosphere of the film is absolutely, mindnumbingly terrifying at times.

As for the answers to your questions...

"Originally posted by marcx
Where the dead seeking the living to join them in death because they were lonely? And yest the film seems to say that the dead do not want any more people to die as the afterworld is overcrowded. "

I don't believe that the dead were seeking the living. They had run out of space and they had no alternative but to spill over into our world.

"Maybe they want it tobe overcrowded due to tits loneliness os they have to spill over and make conact with people?"

I agree that the dead appeared to be lonely but I don't think that the purpose of their contact with the living was to remedy that lonliness. For a living person the result of coming into contact with the dead was ultimately death whether it be suicide or just "fading away" so there would be no apparent benifit to the dead for coming into contact with the living. After the living died they too joined the lonliness and added to the overflow that was occuring.

"Ans waht about the forbidden rooms? Are those the locations therir spirits spill over into?"

I'm assuming that yes, this is the case.

marcx
01-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. Im going to have to view this one again soon. either way-the mmod, atmosphere and visuals are awesome.

napalm68
01-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Excellent film. I can't look at Red gaffer tape anymore. Some of the visuals were truly terrifying, like when that woman ghost is slowly walking towards guy and stumbles. This film really gave me the willies...

ephilman
01-29-2003, 09:44 PM
I think the movie made a point about loneliness, communication, and technology. It seems that the more ways we are able to communicate through technology (cell phones, email, web sites, etc), the less we were able to communicate person to person. Our longest lasting protagonists appeared to be the ones that were the least technically competent and the most feeling.

As for the red tape around doors and windows; I thought it was another symbol for communication, or perhaps, an invitation for communication. A way to speak to the loved dead.

And the irony in all of this is that Japan is pictured as an overcrowded populace, the last place on Earth where one could expect to feel lonely, but just the opposite is true. Our protagonists long for contact/communication. And if not with the living, then with the dead?

Did the ghost world become overcrowded because there was no more room left on Earth to be reincarnated? If so, like others, I fail to see the point of adding to the overcrowding by dying. Unless the lonely just wanted to join their dead friends and family.

marcx
01-30-2003, 03:45 AM
WEll in thinking about the film after some time away--Ive realized the connection to the computer simulation with the dots. The dots are seperate yet pull to each other. However if they touch, they are destroyed.

The ghosts are lonely and the people are lonely. However, when the ghosts make contact with a human, that person kills themself. Meanhwhile this only adds to the overcrowding of the afterlife, hurting the ghostlyworld, so in a sense both are "destroyed" (figuratively)by this contact...

Its an endless loop of loneliness and despair...