PDA

View Full Version : Is this really worth that much?

TheShape
01-30-2003, 01:22 AM
It started at 50 $ and then got out of control IMO. Just take a look... I've never seen this title go for so much. And this was only a 5 day auction...

I know this set is rare and interesting but is it really worth that much?

Frighteners Signature Collection

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18850&item=3307977894&rd=1

==> 382.66 $

the.wicked.one
01-30-2003, 01:29 AM
INSANE! :eek:

Little did they know, they could have bought it for 150$ from Dave. (http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9903)

Paff
01-30-2003, 02:29 AM
A little high, but not unbelievable.

betterdan
01-30-2003, 02:37 AM
Never saw the fascination with this film. I didn't like it. Just my 2 cents.

MISFITZ
01-30-2003, 06:43 AM
Man, that price is whack!!! I wouldn't pay that much for that movie, even if it came with a DINNER w/ MICHEAL J. FOX or something.

John
01-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Don't tell Dave! He is letting his go for $150. :cool:

I think that is a little high. I have seen the disc on Ebay before, and it never tops out like that. I can't think of any one disc that I would pay close to $400 for.

Agent Z
01-30-2003, 01:06 PM
I know this set is rare and interesting but is it really worth that much?

Obviously it is. If somebody has payed that much for it, then the market has spoken. I have seen other FSC go for around that range.

Dave
01-30-2003, 05:06 PM
In general that sets goes on ebay for ~$200-$250. There haven't been any up there for a while, which I imagine is why the price spiked.

Jack Sommersby
02-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Heh! I remember being brought up short when I brought home the Alien DVD and discovered it had the same kick-ass, extensive special features as the 3-disc LaserDisc boxed set. The thing is, the DVD was only 20 bucks while the LD ran me over $100!!!!!

Demon
02-02-2003, 11:31 PM
these people will feel really stupid when this version comes out on dvd (no doubt it will sometime) for like $30, spending nearly $400 on a laserdisc is beyond looney.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
02-04-2003, 06:56 AM
I am a movie collecting maniac. But that price is WAY out of line!

I can not name a movie that I would spend that much for.3

Crazy. Just crazy.

wago70
02-12-2003, 06:52 PM
I wonder if Dave still has that copy available to sell. With my vacation to Europe in May dashed, I can spend a little $$ on domestic stuff.

bigdaddyhorse
02-12-2003, 09:58 PM
I tryed to trade with Dave, now I was trying to buy it, but he never answers my posts or emails.
Don't know what's up with him lately.:confused:

Dave
02-12-2003, 11:20 PM
I'm here, alive, and well. I'll get back to you on the set.

Dave
02-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Will Frighteners ever hit DVD? That's the $4,000,000 question. There a few thoughts to consider.

First and foremost: Why hasn't Universal cashed in on Peter Jackson's recent success already? Did you see Anchor Bay's Bad Taste DVD? Notice the "From the Director of LOTR" on it? Even Disney released Heavenly Creatures.

Aren't there huge royalty issues with DVDs? I recall reading that one of the reasons we often see 20 different 5 minute documentaries on these new DVDs is so studios can avoid paying royalties to the cast and crew. Is this true? I don't know. But if it is, consider the fact that The Frighteners has a 4.5 hour documentary. Can they even cut this up into smaller documentaries? It's already divided into various sections, so perhaps this is possible. Seems silly though.

DVD File has reported in the past that there are some rights issues regarding the documentary. No idea if this is true.

Is Universal going to release a 3-disc DVD set of The Frighteners, a film that tanked at the box office? 3 discs would be needed to hold the 2.5 hr director's "fun" cut, as well as the 4.5hr documentary (discs 2 + 3).

Consider what Universal did for the Jaws LD port. Cut a 2 hour documentary down to 1 hour. And that was for a Speiberg film! Times have changed since then, so perhaps they'd do a 2-disc DVD set and give us a portion of the documentary. I just don't see them doing a 3-disc set for a film that tanked at the box office. At worst I suppose Universal could put out a 1 disc set and severely cut the documentary. But considering the movie is 2.5 hours on the director's cut, that doesn't leave much space for the doc.

Paff
02-13-2003, 12:02 AM
Dave is right about the "length" issue. Anything longer than an hour I think and it qualifies as "feature length". I got this in 2001 at the DVD Producer's conference at SD Comic-Con. It was why the Hannibal documentary was parted out into 3 or 4 "mini-docs"

And while I'm sure that a SE of the Frighteners will come SOME DAY, it would not surprise me if some of the bonus material will never be ported over.

bigdaddyhorse
02-13-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi Dave, good to hear from ya.
I just added a bunch to the list, check it out!

I swear I heard something about keeping documentry's under 30 minutes or they qualify as feature length. Not sure exactly what it was or where I heard it, but there is a time issue and the days of long in-depth docs are disappearing. I haven't seen any too long since hearing that, which I now remember was news when it was annouced that AH-norld got $75,000 for the Total Recall commentary. It might be in the acrhives of this site!
I think it was on dvdreview though.