PDA

View Full Version : Watching Laserdiscs on HDTV Monitor

Agent Z
01-31-2003, 10:55 PM
Well, I am upgrading from my current 27" analog television set to a 47" HDTV 16X9 Monitor. I'm curious as to how big a drop-off in picture quality I can expect when viewing laserdiscs on the the new monitor? I'm expecting there to be some drop-off, but to what extent I'm not sure. :confused:

John
02-01-2003, 01:51 AM
I jumped from 27" to 64" and noticed quite a difference. The one thing a big screen will point out quickly are flaws. With my laserdisc player probably on its last legs, even the S-Video couldn't save the picture quality altogether. If you had a player like Dave had, one with component video and such, I would imagine that the quality would be as good as ever. The unfortunate thing about the laserdisc players is they seem ancient trying to keep up with a new HDTV.

The quality isn't terrible, but it's a little harder to be proud about my lasers on a 64" HDTV than a 27" standard TV. If I found a great price, and had the funds, I'd try out the player Dave had. I would imagine the right connections coupled with an HDTV would revive the days of laserdisc glory!

Dave
02-01-2003, 05:06 AM
My player didn't have component outputs on it. I don't think any LD players have component outputs. Maybe the ones that support Muse laserdiscs (high def lasers), but I'm not sure on that.

Regardless, the higher end Japanese models (like the LD-S9 - the one I had), have advanced circuitry to help clean up and sharpen the image. Enough so that yes, LD still looked great on larger screens.

It really depends on what you want to spend, how large your collection is, and so on. Do you want to invest ~$1500 in a laserdisc player to get DVD-like quality on your larger screen? If you have a few hundred disks, perhaps you do. I have less than 100 lasers and I just couldn't justify keeping such a luxury.

Paff
02-01-2003, 05:36 AM
Some of the LD/DVD combo players have component outputs, but it's pointless since Laser is not a component source. Nor is it a S-Video source. The Video on Laserdisc is in composite form, which is why it's usually the best way to connect a player.

BUT, better players do have better noise filters. I went from a Pioneer 406 to a 704 and saw a huge difference.

The 704 is a good player to get, you can usually find 'em for around $300 or less. It's not as good as the 99, or the high-end Japanese players, but it's a good balance of quality/cost.

John
02-01-2003, 05:42 AM
My player didn't have component outputs on it.

My bad. I'm not sure what I was looking at when I saw the component outputs. I thought it was the LD-S9, but I guess I wandered off to another model or something.

betterdan
02-01-2003, 05:47 AM
Congrats on the new HDTV. I am really trying to get others at work to buy one and get an HD box so they will hurry up and put more HD on tv. I love dvds but HD blows it away.

Agent Z
02-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! :) I decided to hold on to my analog set to watch my S-VHS and laserdisc collection. I'm just going to watch dvds on the 47", which is about 90% of what I watch anyway, outside of sports and Sunday night television (FOX lineup, "Alias").

My current laserdisc player is a Pioneer CLD-D701 model and it has been a great player. When I get a chance, I'll compare the specs on the 701 to the other players mentioned here......and I'm looking to get a back-up player down the road anyway.

Hey betterdan..........guess which model I have arriving (hopefully) this week?

http://www.abtelectronics.com/images/products/l_pt47wx49.gif

Look familiar? :D Hehe......can't wait! :)