Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Classic (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Curse/Night of the Demon (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=11932)

dwatts 04-26-2003 09:02 PM

Curse/Night of the Demon

Damn! This came in the mail today. I'm looking forward to seeing it tonight - BIG TIME! Don't know if anyone else has this disc, but I've wanted it for ages.

Zodiac-Mindwarp 04-26-2003 09:48 PM

Thanks to ReverandDave I just got a list of all the Midnite Movies, I did not know that most of these were even out, including Curse Of The Demon/Night Of The Demon.

I think that I will put most of them on my wish list and add one or two to my purchase each time I do a order.

I look forward to hearing how great this double feature is so that I can move it up on my list of purchases.

dwatts 04-26-2003 10:57 PM

Hey - not watched it yet.. soon soon. But that list sounds cool. How about emailing it to me.

hell ya! 04-26-2003 10:57 PM

I was thinking about getting this one too and would love to hear your thoughts on it. It sounds very interesting.

Paff 04-26-2003 11:09 PM

I watched this a while ago for a review, but then got busy and never finished the review. So I need to see it again.

Good movie though...

Zodiac-Mindwarp 04-26-2003 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwatts
Hey - not watched it yet.. soon soon. But that list sounds cool. How about emailing it to me.
I sent you a Private Message with the Midnite Movie list.

dwatts 04-26-2003 11:17 PM

You da man!

Zodiac-Mindwarp 04-26-2003 11:38 PM

You are very Welcome D. :D

dwatts 04-27-2003 02:03 AM

Ohhhhhh – Night of the Demon!

There are two versions of this film – Night of the Demon (UK Version) and Curse of the Demon (US Version). The US version loses more than 10 minutes. Both are on this disc.

I just sat and watched Night of the Demon (more is always good, right?)

Well – first thing is first – great film! Honestly, I saw this a long time ago, and was not disappointed this evening when I sat and watched it. It is a film with a lot of great set pieces (The demon, the wind in the Hall grounds with the clown, the trains). It reeks old film charm, with plenty of good old English actors to keep you happy.

I will say this – the US version is likely the better option of the two. The UK version has more padding, and it shows a bit. This is a brilliant 80-minute film, and a very good 90-minute one. It dragged ever so slightly in the longer cut.

If I were too look at this again and ask – should I buy it? Well, one big – HELL OF A YES! No regrets at all. Transfer is very nice (Not reference, but what can we expect) and despite there being no extras except two trailers (one for Fright Night and one for The Bride starring Sting, which looked like it stank) it was easily worth the $20 I paid.

This is another film to add to your classics collection without a doubt. They don’t make them this anymore, they just forgot how.

Fart Lighter 04-27-2003 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zodiac-Mindwarp
Thanks to ReverandDave I just got a list of all the Midnite Movies, I did not know that most of these were even out, including Curse Of The Demon/Night Of The Demon.

It's not part of the Midnite Movies line, it's released by Columbia Tristar.

Paff 04-27-2003 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwatts
I will say this – the US version is likely the better option of the two. The UK version has more padding, and it shows a bit. This is a brilliant 80-minute film, and a very good 90-minute one. It dragged ever so slightly in the longer cut.
I don't wanna get too in-depth here, since I need to discuss this in my review, but I think the longer cut is better for a couple of reasons. A pivotal scene is moved up too early in the shorter version, and has much less impact. And I like that the longer one shows a little more of the meeting on the plane of the two main characters, it kinda sets up their relationship for the rest of the movie.

Zodiac-Mindwarp 04-28-2003 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fart Lighter
It's not part of the Midnite Movies line, it's released by Columbia Tristar.
Opps!

Thanks for pointing that out.

wago70 04-28-2003 05:21 PM

I have never seen this film before getting the dvd and after watching it, I realize what a dummy I was for ignoring this effective little chiller all those years. There's a sense of dread in this film that I liked since the main character is put in some real danger but soooooooooo not clued in to it. Great film on all counts!

dwatts 04-30-2003 01:15 AM

I must respectfully disagree here. I saw the shorter cut today, and I really do think it is better. The scene moved up involves the pages of a book, and honestly, it made more dramatic sense earlier in the film - it adds more mystery, more suspense.

Don't get me wrong, this DVD is just great, no matter which version you care to watch. However, as in the case of Deep Red, less can be more, imho.

Ravenheart 04-11-2004 05:37 PM

I've only seen the Cure of the Demon version of this movie but I liked it.I'm hoping one of these days to pick up the Double Feature DVD with Night of the Demon.