Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Slashers (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Town that Dreaded Sundown (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=1254)

Leatherfacefan 03-31-2001 08:42 PM

The Town that Dreaded Sundown

I was told about this film by someone (I think my friend), and I was just wandering if anyone has seen it. If they have, is it any good?

Vdlman 03-31-2001 10:46 PM

It's been a while since the last time I saw it, but it's a pretty decent '70s horror flick. It's supposedly based on a true story from back in the '40s about a killer who terrorizes a small town in Texas.

Rock 04-02-2001 04:28 PM

Actually, it happened in and around Texarkana, Arkansas...you can read all about it at crimelibrary.com...fans of TV's Gilligan's Island may (or may not) get a weird kick out of seeing Dawn Wells (MaryAnne) menaced (and shot!) by a hooded serial killer in one scene.

gunner 04-02-2001 05:47 PM

I loved this film.One thing that makes it different is narration.It gives the film a documentary feel.There is some goofy parts involving a dumb cop nicknamed "sparkplug".If memory serves me correctly the actor who played the texas ranger who helped on the hunt for the killer also played in Mountaintop Motel Massacre as the pastor.I could be wrong but they do look ALOT alike.Guess I'll have to check the imdb.

Mutilated Prey 02-18-2013 05:15 AM

So, for the joy of resurrecting old threads I figured I'd put this post here.

I just watched Seven Psychopaths, and there is a scene where one of the psychopaths is telling his story where he and his lady killed some people back in the day. One of the clips is where they do in the Phantom Killer in Texarkana! I actually missed the very beginning initially where they say "Texarkana Moonlight Murderer" on the screen. I just saw the Phnatom pop up in the back seat of a 1940's car and they dump gasoline on him, cut off his arm and torch him - I was like "wait a sec, that guy looks awfully familiar!" :lol:

Shannafey 02-18-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey (Post 727944)
So, for the joy of resurrecting old threads I figured I'd put this post here.

I just watched Seven Psychopaths, and there is a scene where one of the psychopaths is telling his story where he and his lady killed some people back in the day. One of the clips is where they do in the Phantom Killer in Texarkana! I actually missed the very beginning initially where they say "Texarkana Moonlight Murderer" on the screen. I just saw the Phnatom pop up in the back seat of a 1940's car and they dump gasoline on him, cut off his arm and torch him - I was like "wait a sec, that guy looks awfully familiar!" :lol:

Holy Crap! Just watched it tonight and didn't get the reference.

Mutilated Prey 02-18-2013 05:57 AM

Yeah, rewind it Guy! Pretty cool!

baggio 10-17-2013 08:47 PM

Just found out they remade this movie. It's in post production as we speak.

Kim Bruun 10-17-2013 08:59 PM

Actually, it doesn't look like an outright remake. From the IMDB profile:

Quote:

65 years after a masked serial killer terrorized the small town of Texarkana, the so-called 'moonlight murders' begin again. Is it a copycat or something even more sinister? A lonely high school girl, with dark secrets of her own, may be the key to catching him.
It looks more along the lines of an alternate take / pseudo-sequel. Either way, I'm not quite sure what to think about it.

deepred 10-17-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Bruun (Post 752247)
Actually, it doesn't look like an outright remake. From the IMDB profile:

It looks more along the lines of an alternate take / pseudo-sequel. Either way, I'm not quite sure what to think about it.

It's from the creators of American Horror Story. It might be interesting.