Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Reader Polls (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   BOTB-M #21: I Still Know What You Did Last Summer VS Urban Legends: Final Cut (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=29914)

Hellbilly 06-11-2006 09:46 AM

BOTB-M #21: I Still Know What You Did Last Summer VS Urban Legends: Final Cut

It's the battle of the slasher sequels .... I Still Know (1998) against Final Cut (2000)

http://www.pappayon.com/handbill/big...ast_summer.jpg VS http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-final-cut.jpg

IGotsNewShoes 06-11-2006 09:49 AM

WOW these are both awesome films, so hard to make a choice...oh god do I have to?

Ugh I'll take I Still Know but I wanna vote for both of these gems.

onebyone 06-11-2006 10:04 AM

I like Urban Legends: Final Cut about as much as the first movie, so it gets my vote easily. I disliked I Still Know What You Did Last Summer so much that I didn't watch the first one, a movie I am fond of, for years afterwards.

_pi_ 06-11-2006 12:48 PM

I can't decide which is worse, I really can't. But I'm going to go with I Still Know, only because I think John Ottman has talent, just not neccissarily as a director ...

MrVess 06-11-2006 01:39 PM

Where's the option to vote for both films' superior, "Manos, the Hands of Fate"?

fceurich39 06-11-2006 05:22 PM

both movies blow but went with i still know mainly because jake black,jeffrey combs

maskull 06-13-2006 03:05 PM

Final Cut was so much better than the first UL film but it still loses to I Still because of JLH in a bikini.

Weird. I actually liked both of these sequels better than their original films.

CasEjonz 06-16-2006 05:16 PM

Neither, both are pretentious drivel, akin to Scr(e)am, Cruel Intentions, etc.

satans-sadists 10-06-2006 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasEjonz (Post 418628)
Neither, both are pretentious drivel, akin to Scr(e)am, Cruel Intentions, etc.

I agree!!!

Egg_Shen 03-30-2013 07:52 PM

I was looking for a thread for Urban Legends and found only this. Amusingly, I watched both of these last night. I've had a mini run of post Scream slashers as of late. Anyway, Urban Legends (which I hadn't seen since it came out) was a bit of a nice surprise. Certainly not a classic, but fun and at at least somewhat intelligent. I Still Know isn't very good at all. Especially next to the original which is probably the best of the post Scream bunch. Sure, the plot is far fetched, but the cast is good and there are some clever references throughout (how many horror films reference Truffaut?). Also, the twist at the end was fun. So, I 'm casting my vote for Urban Legends. Seven years late.

DVD-fanatic-9 03-30-2013 08:19 PM

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. Since the genre has been nothing but hopelessly mired in The Same Exact Formula in Every Freaking Film since 2003, I feel zero guilt about saying I enjoy watching this movie from time to time. It's bad, yes. But it did not argue there was an obligation to take it seriously. It was dire in tone but it was about college students running from what was practically a supernatural zombie. I could enjoy it. The director wasn't drawing comparisons between this situation and torture dungeons run by spiritual cults or cancer patients with a heavy-handed social agenda. If there was an ounce of pretention in the trendy-teen slashers' bones- it was that they expected us to give a damn about the heroines' dilemmas because she was always young and wore tight t-shirts. It was still fun for subgenre output and surprisingly innocent stupidity. Today we still get ultra-polished survival films with incredibly shallow characters. I guess I like mine to be really dumb or really smart.

dave13 03-30-2013 08:36 PM

i haven't seen either of these since they were first released. i remember I Still Know was so poor, it made the first look good. While UL: FC was actually an improvement on its dreadful predecessor. If the battle were between the originals, I'd probably pick IKWYDLS, but between these two sequels, I'll go with the one that at least tried for a "we-can-do-better" attitude, rather than the one that was satisfied to ride the coattails of mediocrity, and wasn't even able to live up to that weak standard.

DVD-fanatic-9 03-30-2013 09:04 PM

I kind of liked Urban Legend. Cutting out the T&A factor left a lot of room for the script to deal with the jaded attitudes of young people at that time... actually, that plus the film's overall undertonal emphasis on humor rather than drama makes it the closest teen-slasher clone to Scream. Also- it cast easily the most sophisticated against-type choice to play their Sidney Prescott. Alicia Witt might not be the best crier but she was a completely unique and unpredictable casting decision. And if the opening segment of 1983's Nightmares sucked so much, the opening to this movie fixes it. Which reminds me- I enjoyed the death scenes in this movie. I wasn't rooting for the deaths in Scream (another sign of intelligence for that film- even though the characters were not supposed to be that likable) but I found myself mostly entertained by these killings without usually wanting to strangle the cast for being insanely obnoxious jackasses. (This of course went to hell by the time Valentine came along. What the fuck was that movie's problem?)

The original Last Summer on the other hand was a misery fest. The perfect example of what I outlined before- that thing squeezed so hard on the viewer to get them to feel bad for everyone in that story. Poor Barry is a college flunky even though he's physically flawless, poor Julie is flunking too because she feels guilty for being so physically flawless that she gave in to conformity, poor Ray is doomed to spend his whole life in Fishing Town because he's poor and physically flawless, poor Helen is doomed to spend her whole life getting bitched out by her physically flawless older sister and lost her modeling contract even though she was physically flawless and couldn't land an acting gig... even though she was physically flawless. Even Anne Heche was physically flawless but I bought her as being stuck in that town.

dave13 03-31-2013 12:21 AM

well, they were all pretty physically flawless in Urban Legend, too....

but honestly, I didn't "like" any of these four films. My particular distaste for the original Urban Legend (which I can barely remember, the last time I saw it was undoubtedly on VHS, when it was released) was due to a couple of things: first of all, I remember seeing the trailer and thinking "oh shit, a supernatural horror movie where urban legends come true!? that looks awesome!" and then...no...it was yet another "one of our sorority/fraternity friends had a traumatic childhood event which they are now using as justification to dress up and kill a bunch of (physically flawless) people."....such a disappointment. and the second reason was Rebecca Gayheart. goddamn, but she was terrible in that movie. she apparently had boobs, which commanded one of the key cover positions normally reserved for a floating head:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...egend_film.jpg

...but that was about the best that could be said of her presence in the movie. ugh.

DVD-fanatic-9 03-31-2013 12:41 AM

Well, I was 15 and this was very popular with my friends. If it makes you feel better, people always remember better things about the movie because it was a great source of fun when they first saw it. My best friend still lists Girl, Interrupted among her all-time favorite films on Facebook. This was one of those movies we quoted (Rebecca Gayheart may be bad but they wrote some top quality howlers for her, Loretta Devine as well) and laughed about for weeks. I still think "check her pulse, she's looked like that for years" is a quote with its finger cut right through the skin of the arm and plugged into the veins (aka: its' finger on the pulse) of 90's teenagers. I wish being a teenager in the 90's had been like Clueless. It was not.