Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Unpopular opinions! (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=35316)

_pi_ 11-06-2007 03:55 AM

Unpopular opinions!
 
I know we've had "bad films I love"-kind of threads before, but this isn't quite like that.

I got the idea from another forum (a UK-based pop music forum actually :D) and we've been having tons of fun with it over there, so I thought I'd introduce it to this forum.

Here we can feel free to post whatever unpopular pet peeves we have regarding our favorite genre and all it entails! Do you not get Romero's zombie films? Is Bruce Campbell an overrated ham-actor? Did you think The Fog remake was infinitely better than the original?

If you do, then tell us! You might not be alone ;)

The way I envision this is that this doesn't turn into a debate or fight-thread. If someone disagrees with your passion-fueled hatred of Dario Argento, then they shouldn't feel the need to discuss the topic here. This should be a place of peace and serenity. And of fun, of course.

Ok? I'll go first:

* I think Audition is an overrated sack of shit that has no artistic merit at all.

* In fact, that film along with the boring original Ring and the laughable original Grudge have turned me off of J-Horror and Asian horror indefinitely.

* I think Argento's Phantom of the Opera is 100X better than The Card Player (or at least more fun ...)

* Planet Terror wasn't good-bad filmmaking - it was bad-bad filmmaking.

* Wes Craven hasn't lost it yet. He's just looking for it ...

* Renny Harlin should do more horror work. Or just any work.

* Nostalgia aside, I think Stephen King's IT movie is awful. It has some of the worst adult performances I have ever seen. Ever!

* Zombie films get far too much attention from the horror community. And I also feel giallos are sometimes severely overrated.

* I would have no problem if there was no nudity in horror films. Unless, of course, it's my kind of nudity :)

* The Mothman Prophecies is one of the 5 creepiest films released in the last 10 years.

* I wouldn't notice if Tobe Hooper never made a film ever again.

Don't remember much more at the moment, but I'll be sure to add some stuff whenever I feel the need to! :D

DrHerbertWest 11-06-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

I think Audition is an overrated sack of shit that has no artistic merit at all.
I disagree with this. I'm not a fan of Takashi's all around work, meaning I like some here and some there, but this one completely works for me.

Quote:

In fact, that film along with the boring original Ring and the laughable original Grudge have turned me off of J-Horror and Asian horror indefinitely.
I'm not a big fan of J-Horror. I have yet to see Ringu. I do enjoy Ju-On though.

Quote:

Planet Terror wasn't good-bad filmmaking - it was bad-bad filmmaking.
This one makes me angry... Haha!

Quote:

Wes Craven hasn't lost it yet. He's just looking for it
Dude hasn't made a good movie in years.

Quote:

Renny Harlin should do more horror work. Or just any work.
I can agree with this, as long as it's not mainstream teeny bopper horror films.

Quote:

Nostalgia aside, I think Stephen King's IT movie is awful. It has some of the worst adult performances I have ever seen. Ever!
Another OUCH. I like this movie a lot, for nostalgia mainly but it still creeps me out in places. Beep beep, Richie.

I disagree with a lot of these but this is an awesome idea for a thread. Thanks pi! I hope more people contribute to this. I'd be curious to see what people think.

onebyone 11-06-2007 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _pi_ (Post 516422)
And I also feel giallos are sometimes severely overrated.

* I wouldn't notice if Tobe Hooper never made a film ever again.

Truth.

RyanPC 11-06-2007 04:36 AM

There was a thread much like this one and it turned into a trainwreck. It's interesting to read, though. :D

* Asian horror is mostly terrible. The first half of Audition was good, but the second half brought it way down for me. The original Ringu is a snoozefest; the American remake is a lot better.

* Halloween III: Season of the Witch is the second best movie in the series after the first one.

* Argento's Phantom of the Opera is a good movie if you watch it as a comedy. I used to hate it like everybody else, but a recent rewatch (my fourth, actually) made me change my mind.

* Death Proof is much better than Planet Terror, which isn't as much fun after multiple viewings.

* Night of the Seagulls is the best film in the Blind Dead series.

* Demons 2 is a terrible film, even though it is essentially a remake of the brilliant original.

* Exorcist II: The Heretic is an interesting film and not as bad as everybody says it is.

* The House By the Cemetery pretty much sucks; it's one of Fulci's worst films. Most people rank it among his best and I can't understand why.

* Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best film.

* Jaws is a good film, but Duel is better.

* The Prowler is an extremely average slasher film except for the death scenes, which are the best I've ever seen in a movie.

* Shock Treatment is better than The Rocky Horror Picture Show (but only slightly).

17thJuggalo 11-06-2007 04:44 AM

* The American Ring remake was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

* Kill Baby Kill! and Black Sunday are both gut-wrenchingly boring.

* Behind the Mask is the most overrated horror film of recent times.

* The Beyond didn't make an ounce of sense and it was hard to sit through.

* The Roost needs much much more recognition than it gets.

* Cemetary Man bored me to death.

I could go on, man this thread is going to turn into a massive train wreck!

17thJuggalo 11-06-2007 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanPC (Post 516428)

* Asian horror is mostly terrible.

* Halloween III: Season of the Witch is the second best movie in the series after the first one.

* The House By the Cemetery pretty much sucks; it's one of Fulci's worst films. Most people rank it among his best and I can't understand why.

Truth, although I really did like The Prowler.

RyanPC 11-06-2007 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo (Post 516430)
* Kill Baby Kill! and Black Sunday are both gut-wrenchingly boring.

I haven't seen Kill Baby Kill! (I will soon), but I agree with you about Black Sunday. Other than the cinematography, I don't see what is so great about it. :sleepy:

RyanPC 11-06-2007 04:50 AM

Puddytay, you are one big unpopular opinion. And I mean that in the best possible way. :lol:

wago70 11-06-2007 04:59 AM

CGI is sometimes no better than stop-motion.

RyanPC 11-06-2007 05:00 AM

* Stop-motion is better than CGI!

_pi_ 11-06-2007 05:10 AM

Ooooh can't believe I forgot!

* The original Friday the 13th is a terrible movie. Boring and ineptly made. I'm amazed it spawned so many sequels, but that's good thing because they are ALL BETTER than the first one. Jason Goes to Hell included!

_pi_ 11-06-2007 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanPC (Post 516428)
There was a thread much like this one and it turned into a trainwreck. It's interesting to read, though. :D

Yeah, this is highly inflammable trainwreck material for sure! The key thing is just to be civil and respectful.

We all have an unpopular opinion of something. The trick is that when you disagree with something - even if it is something you truly, truly love - just to let it slide.

SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE.

And then this will be a whole lotta fun.

X-human 11-06-2007 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wago70 (Post 516435)
CGI is sometimes no better than stop-motion.

:eek1:

- Wes Craven never had it to lose it. I think he's a complete hack that's made a career out of following the leader. The Last House on the Left is no better than the kind of fodder Something Weird Video only puts out on VHS.

- The Ghost Galleon is easily the best film in the Blind Dead series.

- Salem's Lot is Tobe Hooper's best film, I'm embarrassed whenever TCM is considered one of the best horror films ever made.

- Stanley Kubrick's The Shinning is better than Stephen King's original novel.

- Horror of Dracula and Christopher Lee's stint as Dracula in the Hammer franchise is mostly boring and severely overrated.

- Tod Browning made terrible horror movies, including Freaks. The only reason Dracula is good is because he was asleep behind the wheel and even that had an uphill battle with dumb staging, overuse of master shots and lots of bad acting.

- Peter Cushing is better than Christopher Lee

- Boris Karloff is better than Bela Lugosi

I can't really comment directly on modern films because I don't watch them much anymore, but overall I am sick and tired of maniacs running around killing people just because they're psychotic. High Tension put a nice twist on it so I liked that, but now a days it always boils down to the killer doing it only because they're bat shit crazy. :rolleyes:

ArrowBeach 11-06-2007 06:21 AM

ZOMBIE is overhyped, there are much better films in this genre.

Quentin Tarantino is a hack.

Agent Z 11-06-2007 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanPC (Post 516428)
There was a thread much like this one and it turned into a trainwreck. It's interesting to read, though. :D

Here is the old thread, for those who want to check it out.

I really can't get into the spirit of these threads, but it would be interesting to see if people's opinions have changed from the last thread.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com