Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Euro Horror (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Mario Bava and his films. (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=39586)

vampyr789 08-26-2009 07:05 AM

Mario Bava and his films.

for some reason i am going through this phase of Italian horror. that is all i think about, all i want to watch...etc.

i have seen Twitch of the Death Nerve and Black Sunday. i love both films.
i just orderd Blood and Black Lace on ebay and i cannot wait for that.

but now what do you reccommend??
i only have two other films by him on my "to see" list:

Kill Baby Kill and Black Sabbath

but yea wat others do u reccommend???

Shlockjock81 08-26-2009 07:31 AM

I highly recommend his last film "Shock" which he made with his son Lamberto. When released in america in 1977, it was retitled "Beyond the Door II". The only similarity is that the main child star is in both of them.

This is a totally different film from Beyond The Door, however (not that I'm knocking it, I have a huge soft spot for the film) and is, technically, much better. Classic italian stuff.

Erick H. 08-26-2009 07:53 AM

If you're enjoying Bava's work you really should grab the two MARIO BAVA COLLECTION box sets.Great films,lots of extras.

Paff 08-26-2009 08:36 AM

Probably should go to the Euro Horror forum and search for Bava. I'm sure you'll find many discussions of his films there.

That said, my favorites (that don't usually get a lot of talk) are Baron Blood and Five Dolls for an August Moon

rhett 08-26-2009 09:20 AM

Rabid Dogs is very unlike most other Bava films, but like with later Fulci, it's more personal in a way that makes it better than most of his other works. I also really like The Girl Who Knew Too Much and Danger: Diabolik on top of the others mentioned.

ReelFear 08-26-2009 02:17 PM

Every BAVA film should be seen, but try HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON and PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES, two of my favorites. You can't go wrong.

Body Boy 08-26-2009 05:52 PM

The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Baron Blood
Lisa and the Devil

dave13 08-26-2009 06:34 PM

i actually enjoyed his sex comedy four times that night. also, lisa and the devil is pretty fantastic, in a david lynch sort of way....or maybe you could say that david lynch is awesome in a lisa and the devil sort of way? and the whip and the body. very cool.

eric_angelus 08-26-2009 06:41 PM

I second what pretty much everyone else said, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Anaestheus 08-26-2009 07:44 PM

As said over and over, all of his horror films are interesting. I'd probably pick Kill Baby Kill and Hatchet for a Honeymoon as favorites. But, they are all really good. While I don't care as much for them, even his peplum films are fun. But, Diabolik is the film that I tend to use when I want to show off what a genius he really is.

But, the thing no one else here has mentioned is the commentary tracks. I really can't think of commentaries that I have enjoyed more. I highly recommend giving all his films a second go with Tim Lucas

Severn 08-26-2009 07:47 PM

Watch them all but I'd really suggest Twitch of the Death Nerve mainly for it's historic and copied style.

youthief 08-26-2009 10:43 PM

I have to mention Hercules In the Haunted World. It's a showcase of Bava lighting and in-camera effects photography. Fantoma did a great job on their release. Bava really knew how to use color.

dave13 08-26-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaestheus (Post 607713)
But, the thing no one else here has mentioned is the commentary tracks. I really can't think of commentaries that I have enjoyed more. I highly recommend giving all his films a second go with Tim Lucas

yeah, what he said.

CrazyFatEthel 08-26-2009 11:37 PM

Blood and Black Lace is my favorite Bava Movie, and my favorite Giallo. So i think you'll like it Vampyr!!!

Harry Warden 08-26-2009 11:41 PM

Blood and Black Lace and Baron Blood.