Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Euro Horror (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   the new Dario Argento film "DRACULA" in 3D?! (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=40767)

Crystal Plumage 05-13-2010 09:55 PM

the new Dario Argento film "DRACULA" in 3D?!

What the...

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cpynhy.jpg
Apparently this comes from Alan Jones' twitter..

"Just announced, Dario Argento's DRACULA in 3D, filming in Italy January, period setting." ~ Alan Jones

I know old Dario is capable of making it work, at the moment I'm not sure what to think...
Dracula isn't exactly original in the first place, and the 3D thing is not something I'm particularly interested in. Just make a great Horrormovie, period.

Kim Bruun 05-13-2010 10:07 PM

Why not? I mean, Argento did a bang-up job with Phantom of the Opera! :rolleyes:

Crystal Plumage 05-13-2010 10:10 PM

Have to admit, those costumes were gorgeous. It wasn't a bad film overall, only a bit misunderstood by many.

Shlockjock81 05-13-2010 10:18 PM

... I'll probably regret saying this, but I'm excited. It almost sounds too good to be true...

Crystal Plumage 05-13-2010 10:32 PM

For some reason I'm hoping for some sort of tribute to Mario Bava.

Kim Bruun 05-13-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage (Post 639402)
Have to admit, those costumes were gorgeous. It wasn't a bad film overall, only a bit misunderstood by many.

Disliked does not equal misunderstood.

The costumes were nice, and the film did have one beautiful scene: Asia Argento in a lovely white gown, alone on stage, singing the bell refrain from Lakmé's bell song to an empty gallery. Otherwise, the film is painfully over the top, and not very faithful to the book - which is a problem here because Argento's innovations are excentric to say the least. Phantom wears no mask, is not disfigured, and shares a mystical bond with rats? No thank you. And let's not get into the rat catching machine...

Shlockjock81 05-13-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage (Post 639405)
For some reason I'm hoping for some sort of tribute to Mario Bava.

That's EXACTLY what I'm hoping for as well.

Anaestheus 05-13-2010 11:43 PM

I am at least curious if not excited. To my recollection this is the first time Argento has tried period and I am hoping for something Bava-esque as well. If it wasn't for Mother of Tears being so awful, I'd probably be jumping around right now.

mcchrist 05-14-2010 12:38 AM

Argento + Dracula = Cynically Optimistic + 3D = Uh oh...

I want to see Dracula eat a rat!!!

Pretty bad when Phantom was his last good movie, maybe it will star Julian Sands. Is he still alive?

I'm partly serious here.

_pi_ 05-14-2010 12:39 AM

I'm interested in everything Argento does ... buuuut ... this sounds strange. The 3D especially.

Paff 05-14-2010 12:42 AM

And here I was finally hoping for the 3-D Dracula companion piece to (Andy Warhol's) Flesh for Frankenstein....

X-human 05-14-2010 02:09 AM

This may be the shot in the arm Dario needs. I don't think anyone expects Suspiria 2.0 from a gothic period piece so that should get some of the monkeys off his back. And the 3D may fire his imagination.

Or it could end up being the same shit.

Body Boy 05-14-2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcchrist (Post 639411)
Pretty bad when Phantom was his last good movie,

I'd probably give Sleepless that title, but...hmm...

othervoice1 05-14-2010 04:03 AM

Hey if it comes to a theatre near me when its released Ill check it out - it sounds a little strange- which is exactly what has me interested <: I just hope they dont use the same bat they used in Suspiria :p That was so silly and out of place in that movie- at least to me

Erick H. 05-14-2010 06:30 AM

Argento came close to doing a version of FRANKENSTEIN set in pre WW-2 Germany back in the 70's.I'm always interested in his projects though this seems an odd choice.Any news about a U.S. release of GIALLO yet ?