Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rewind This! VHS Boom & Video Store Documentary (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=43252)

lanemyer774 01-12-2012 06:17 PM

Rewind This! VHS Boom & Video Store Documentary

This looks awesome! Check out the trailer.

"Three filmmakers, Josh Johnson, Carolee Mitchell, and Christopher Palmer, are putting together a film called Rewind This, which looks at the rise of video and the video store culture that flourished for years in the ’80s and ’90s, and how those things changed parts of the film business. They’re using Kickstarter to fund the film, but already have interviews with some video-biz luminaries such as Troma’s Lloyd Kaufman."

http://www.slashfilm.com/djinn-trail...itical-horror/

MorallySound 01-12-2012 09:22 PM

Josh, an acquaintance of mine, and the rest of the team have been working on this for 2 years now. I strongly suggest you support the doc!

MisterTwister 01-12-2012 09:34 PM

Looks amazing. Sold.

Demon 01-12-2012 09:50 PM

Great idea for a documentary, however I'd leave out Lloyd Kaufman...he's in everything.

fattyjoe37 01-12-2012 11:06 PM

I'm lucky enough to still have a few awesome indie video stores in my area. I don't know what I'd do without them. Can't wait to check out this doc. Viva VHS!

MisterTwister 01-12-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon (Post 697253)
Great idea for a documentary, however I'd leave out Lloyd Kaufman...he's in everything.

And how's that a problem?

Troma VHS tapes were a big part of my youth so I'm glad Lloyd is being interviewed.

Same with Charles Band.

rxfiend 01-13-2012 02:03 AM

So when they release this documentary, will they release it on VHS?

It's kind of odd that I feel nostalgia for video stores. It seems like only yesterday I was browsing through such stores, but in reality, it's been about a decade since I've been in a video store that had lots of oddball VHS tapes. Definitely something my kids won't be able to experience growing up. :(

Devo1313 01-13-2012 04:11 AM

As a fan of VHS and DVD with over 17,000 VHSs and DVDs I love the idea that people even care nowadays about VHS. When I mentioned I just watched Bury Me An Angel or To All A Goodnight on VHS last night or whatever people stare at me and call me a "caveperson". Where's your flatscreen? Or what about your hi-def? They ask. I love the VHs times and am glad I at least got to experience the days of renting as many as 7 VHSs in one day back in 1984 from local video stores. I would usually rent 7 a day on the weekend and 3-5 on the weekdays to watch after school. Different times indeed. NOw I own a lot of the VHSs I used to rent when various stores closed up. A lot are like collectors items to me since I spent much of time eduting myself with great horror,sci-fi,cult,etc. films from log ago.

MorallySound 01-13-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon (Post 697253)

Troma were also one of the first companies to start licensing titles at the start of the VHS craze, so Lloyd's important to interview for the topic.

WesReviews 01-13-2012 04:28 PM

Backed it. Can't wait to see it! I literally grew up in a video store (my parents'). So my local mom & pop's store was actually... my own mom & pop's. :)

Anthropophagus 01-13-2012 05:58 PM

This looks really interesting, I've seen tons of documentaries with Bill Margold and he always makes me laugh.

MorallySound 01-13-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthropophagus (Post 697286)
This looks really interesting, I've seen tons of documentaries with Bill Margold and he always makes me laugh.

Also quite funny in the Fantasm flicks, especially when he had to replace John Holmes because Holmes refused to go in the pool.

streetlight 01-14-2012 12:29 AM

Sounds great. I love VHS and have bought many from some local stores over the past few years. I don't know how many I have but I am guessing about 2000.

The one thing I regret is not taking pictures of one store had that closed up a couple years ago. When you walked into the VHS section it was like it was 1986. The first time I went there (2006 maybe) I nearly fell on the floor because I was so surprised of their titles, luckily I was there when they sold all their tapes and I bought some good ones, all the slashers of course

Workshed 01-14-2012 12:42 AM

Love this. The prizes for the Kickstarter campaign are really good. Might have to support this bad boy gettin' off the ground.

hots4 01-14-2012 02:46 AM

I'll definately give this a watch, i used to love the video shop experience when i was a kid, and miss it greatly, it was lots of fun in the early 80's to go into these shops and look at the treasures on the shelf, i always remember seeing deadly spawn, man that cover here in the UK was brutal, i used to stare at it and try to imagine just what delights the film would give me, having to wait quite a few years before getting the chance to experience it, and at around 13 - 14 i used to have a friend from school who used to rent at least one movie a night, i spend a lot of time with him on evenings/weekends so got to see sooo many movies and spend a lot of time in video stores picking some treasured viewing, good good times.